Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

Just had @TMBtD confirm a find of mine by getting in touch with the composer. I think you'll be excited. This is a lead I've had for years but was reluctant to go through because I thought the @pacbell.net email the guy had was dead as a doornail. It wasn't. While I wait for him to post some confirmation (the NMSA is also in the loop on this one)... I've had a few dead leads for years and I feel like posting them may open something up. Some have been languishing at the NMSA. -Some alternate titles for the "Turn To" image song revealed other localizations, but a few didn't have leads: "Tell 'Em You're From Duluth", "Tell 'Em West Michigan's Great" and "Turn To 26". -A Telemundo News Theme in BMI composed by Alvaro Morello and published by Nuevo Mundo Music. This led me to the discovery that the KBLR 2007 theme (used for Telemundo's "Conteo de Noticias" when they had major local news cutbacks) is his work: [URL]http://alvaromorello.com/[/URL] (go to Video and then click on TV). The site seems to be a bit out of date technically now but I do remember this from 2012. -WATE 1980 or 1984 was composed by Scott Hamilton Evans, a local jingle composer. [URL='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5in_7BtH10']Perhaps his most enduring work was "Energy Express", composed for the 1982 World's Fair.[/URL] ([URL='https://web.archive.org/web/20080724141439/http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/may/04/trains-song-on-hit-track/']Just shy of half a million records were sold of that tune![/URL]) When I found this the 1990 and 1991 themes had not yet been traced as DeWolfe and a song. The theme has to be older as he was listed in SESAC with a 615 area code number — and in the 90s 615 was removed from the Knoxville area. I suspect 1984 over 1980, but who knows. -
  • Like 3

Does anybody know who composed the WTVJ 2012 Theme and WPXI 2014 Theme? I have wanted these packages forever!

I've suspected off and on that Juan C. Rodriguez may have composed the WTVJ 2012 Theme. I have no proof/confirmation, only that he mentions WTVJ on his website and references whatever he composed as "NBC WTVJ Local News" .... anyway, who knows! Hard to believe that after 4 years that nothing has shown up in BMI, ASCAP etc sites... if it's there it's listed in such a bizarre way where it's impossible to find it - OR WTVJ paid the composer in such a way where they aren't receiving back-end royalties and it's not listed... http://www.juancrodriguez.com/about

Thanks to TMBtD mystery solved... Maybe one of these days somebody will figure out the composer. It'd be cool to know that answer, since it's such a big secret. :D

• Like 1

Here's two clean and clear versions from Robby Elfman's soundcloud.

[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

I play this while playing with my little chopper 8's...we play "fire" and "earthquake".

When we play politicians...we use cut 2.

• Like 2

Here's two clean and clear versions from Robby Elfman's soundcloud.

[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

Finally! That sounds great.

Now I need to find out who did this new theme for KFSN. For some reason I thought they could be the same composer, but I guess not.

• Like 1

Did he say anything about why it was commissioned? Did ABC ever intend to use it on stations other than KFSN? It sounds like a candidate for a standardized ABC O&O theme, if they ever pursued that.

Hopefully such a plan would not include WPVI. Besides EWN still sounds good on most of the stations that it's used on.

• 1 month later...

That theme was available in the clear on YT for years, on a Dolphin Productions animation reel. However, it wasn't known to be a WKRC news theme until the original open audio clip was submitted to NMSA, and WKRC posted a vintage promo online (with the EDGE animation that also appeared in the Dolphin reel).

I actually cobbled together a complete version from the audio in the Dolphin demo, but never sent it to NMSA. And the audio quality on this newscast close is better anyways...

That theme was available in the clear on YT for years, on a Dolphin Productions animation reel. However, it wasn't known to be a WKRC news theme until the original open audio clip was submitted to NMSA, and WKRC posted a vintage promo online (with the EDGE animation that also appeared in the Dolphin reel).

I actually cobbled together a complete version from the audio in the Dolphin demo, but never sent it to NMSA. And the audio quality on this newscast close is better anyways...

Hmm, just took a look at the reel. I wonder if it's production music myself.

Hmm, just took a look at the reel. I wonder if it's production music myself.

I used to wonder that myself, but it feels more like it was composed specifically for news (especially the synth-only intro mix). Dolphin did graphics for WKRC concurrent with the use of this package (specifically that "EDGE" promo animation), which has to be why it showed up in their demos. (Much like how elsewhere in these demos, they took music from the custom, non-library music packages used by their clients WPIX and WUAB, and tracked it onto animations they had produced for other clients.)

I used to wonder that myself, but it feels more like it was composed specifically for news (especially the synth-only intro mix). Dolphin did graphics for WKRC concurrent with the use of this package (specifically that "EDGE" promo animation), which has to be why it showed up in their demos. (Much like how elsewhere in these demos, they took music from the custom, non-library music packages used by their clients WPIX and WUAB, and tracked it onto animations they had produced for other clients.)

That makes sense too.

Both of these were composed by Wisconsin-based jingle composer Terry Sweet (Locals are probably very familiar with his work, he's still in business doing those awful "Step Up to Colders!" commercials)

The theme from KTNV is called "TV-8 News Theme" on his 1984 demo reel. Also, I think the vocieover is then-WTMJ announcer Gus Gnorski, for what it's worth. Probably some early "hubbing" going on there.

The WBRZ campaign is also on the 1984 demo reel, aptly named "TV-2 The One To Watch-WBRZ".

TV-8 would be WCHS, then. No wonder the opens seen in those clips seemed pretty dusty for that time...

The WBRZ campaign must be tied to the 1985 theme, then. The signature could definitely spell "2's The One To Watch".

Would you happen to have a link to the demo reel somewhere? I can't seem to find it.