Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

I'm beginning to suspect there may be multiple versions of "WNDU 1991" (WSOC 1985), with one produced as late as 1993. All the additions would have been made by WSOC.

Yeah, I think that makes sense. As you implied, WSOC seems to have been the client for the whole thing. I've already basically confirmed from Hal Brown that the WNDU 1991 package was done by VTS (having licensed the rights to the music), and he seemed to confirm to me that it was done for WSOC?

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but...

Take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb7IVxYjboM

That sounds like VTS's "The Team to Watch" in the teaser. Maybe that's what the WSOC 1986 theme actually is?

I have another find.

When the WTKR noon "Discover the Land of the 3" open appeared in the Internet Archive a while back, I was instantly reminded of a theme from one of its then-sister stations: the WPRI 1986 "Right at Home" theme. I knew that Discover the Land was a Klein & piece, but we didn't have composer information for Right at Home.

It does appear in the Copyright Office records with a date of 1986. It was registered by Alpenstock Productions, Inc., and the authors on the application are Robert A. Klein and Rick Krizman (who did the KRON "24 Hour News" theme).

Alpenstock is the name under which a bunch of Klein & work is registered. KTVY "Going All Out for Oklahoma", KYW's "3 for All", a theme titled "Straight from the Heart" dating to 1986, "Go For It Ballad" (which is probably WDIV's Go 4 It campaign), "Cincinnati Style", and "In the Great Northwest".

The weird thing is that when I played Bob Klein the WPRI news theme, he was certain it wasn't his work. The promo obviously is, he just did not recognize the concurrent news theme music. His memory might just be fuzzy, though.

I should ask Rick Krizman...

I have another find.

When the WTKR noon "Discover the Land of the 3" open appeared in the Internet Archive a while back, I was instantly reminded of a theme from one of its then-sister stations: the WPRI 1986 "Right at Home" theme. I knew that Discover the Land was a Klein & piece, but we didn't have composer information for Right at Home.

It does appear in the Copyright Office records with a date of 1986. It was registered by Alpenstock Productions, Inc., and the authors on the application are Robert A. Klein and Rick Krizman (who did the KRON "24 Hour News" theme).

Interesting info. I brought the similarity between the WTKR and WPRI themes to Mr. NMSA's attention a few years ago, and he could confirm the "Discover" and "Right at Home" image songs were both Klein &, but not the WPRI theme.

I have a

with the "Discover" theme I found long before that open surfaced. I originally thought it was the same as WPRI 1986, given their shared ownership and sound.

Interesting info. I brought the similarity between the WTKR and WPRI themes to Mr. NMSA's attention a few years ago, and he could confirm the "Discover" and "Right at Home" image songs were both Klein &, but not the WPRI theme.

I have a

with the "Discover" theme I found long before that open surfaced. I originally thought it was the same as WPRI 1986, given their shared ownership and sound.

The title is "Right at Home", so I'm not sure if that would count, but I think given the news theme clipping we got, I'd mark it as Klein & without hesitation.

Again, I don't know if it's because he also asked Bob Klein and got a "that's not my work" response. I don't believe I pass along negative answers to Mr. NMSA, though in this case I honestly can't remember. I agree that it just lines up too well not to be related.

As to the other ones: Straight from the Heart was an image song for WBIR. The copyright record I'm looking at says 1984, not 1986 - but I've found both an official WBIR YouTube video of the promo dated 1983, and an off-air clip from September 1983 of an ID from the campaign. I've also found a 1988 35th anniversary promo for sister station WMAZ that uses the song.

There's also a "Straight from the Heart II" dated 1989, which seems to correspond with another promo WBIR put up, and an ID in an off-air recording from 1989 - though WBIR dates their clip as 1986.

Cincinnati Style was a WLWT image campaign; there's an example of that on YT as well.

(There was also "Show Me 5" for KSDK, so Klein & did imaging for all 4 Multimedia VHF affiliates at various points during that mid-80s period.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I got another theme that needs to be solved, but its not just the composer that needs to be identified but also the name of the piece of music. When I used to travel to Shreveport as a little kid, I remember hearing a theme that was used on KTAL's newscasts from about 1996 to 2001 (during the NewsCenter 6 era). I believe it was production music, as I have heard it in a couple of commercials elsewhere during the early/mid-2000s. It was kind of a light music piece featuring piano and trumpets.

I tracked down clips of the theme in question, thanks to YouTube user jacky9br, who uploaded this video -- among a slew of others -- Wednesday (it's featured in some clips starting at 0:50 up to 2:45, you can hear most of it clearly in the teaser clip at 2:13).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i4efn6bTU0

• 3 weeks later...
The weird thing is that when I played Bob Klein the WPRI news theme, he was certain it wasn't his work. The promo obviously is, he just did not recognize the concurrent news theme music. His memory might just be fuzzy, though.

I should ask Rick Krizman...

While you're asking, please include a request for some clean cuts of the old KRON music...

Any word from Krizman? 24 Hour News was a highly underrated 90s pack and I can't be the only person who would love to hear more of it. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Alpenstock is the name under which a bunch of Klein & work is registered. KTVY "Going All Out for Oklahoma", KYW's "3 for All", a theme titled "Straight from the Heart" dating to 1986, "Go For It Ballad" (which is probably WDIV's Go 4 It campaign), "Cincinnati Style", and "In the Great Northwest".

I wonder if this KIRO image spot (starts at 6:14) features "In the Great Northwest" from 1979:

OR it could be "Spirit of the Great Northwest". Either way, would be nice to figure out where that came from.

Actually, the Klein & "In the Great Northwest" was for KGW - I believe he mentioned it in one of my early phone calls with him nearly a decade ago. He referred to it as "8 in the Great Northwest."

eyeontv posted some Klein & KGW IDs on YT a while back, they're instrumental but I'm pretty sure they're from that campaign. The melody exactly matches with the slogan.

That KIRO one doesn't sound like Klein & at all, it may well have been a local Seattle production.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Is he associated with any of the major music companies? If not, I wonder if KFMB owns the package outright.

He's not associated but he's made several music scorings. I'm guessing yes with KFMB owning the package.