Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

I'm surprised that nobody has found the KFMB 2013 news music yet. I might try and search around for it...

Do you think it could have been composed by 615 Music? Their former CSD who was there at the time they debuted these new music and graphics (Hothaus) packs came from KTLA, and KTLA has 615 Music and Hothaus graphics.

Really late to the party. I don't have the complete answer, just a clue--it's from KGTV. As to whether it's a custom package, a library theme or what, I don't know... but I am absolutely obsessed with it! NMSA lists it as "KGTV 1994 News Theme." From the hook I'm guessing it is something custom because of the way it screams "10 News."

Nice long close from YouTube:

I was always obsessed with KGTV's 94 theme along with KTLA during the flashpoint era as a child.

KGTV on the other hand has another clip of that 94 package. Topical blooper can be found at 1:39

I was always obsessed with KGTV's 94 theme along with KTLA during the flashpoint era as a child.

KGTV on the other hand has another clip of that 94 package. Topical blooper can be found at 1:39

If you go to the 23:48 mark of the news open compilation, you'll find KGTV's 11PM Nightcast open.

• 1 month later...

More ads out of Broadcasting magazine... The first one ran in 1979 and the second one, which is from the same time frame, appeared in 1981.

4c7aDfB.png

S5rkB3R.png

These incredible finds, including We're Putting It On, correlate to

, the demo reel (the "Package of Packages") from this company (Hayes Broadcast Promotion and Syndication aka Hayes Productions). Combined with that video, San Antonio-based Hayes can be said with confidence to have produced the following news themes:

KMOL 1979

KTVY 1980 (also: KMOL, KTPX**)

WAGA 1977 (also: KSAT, KTVK, WCMH, WJAR, WSOC)

(also: WTLV)*

From top to bottom, the items featured in the second image are WTLV ActionNews from 1980 (presumably from when they joined ABC), KMOL from 1979, and a "Campaign 80" bumper that probably is from CBS.

It's worth noting that in the demo reel a WAGA open is overlaid with KMOL's news set for the demo—this explains why, since Hayes was based out of San Antonio and had KMOL as one of its clients.

*Listed as X Belongs; WAGA debuted X Belongs from Peters later in 1979. WTLV used the same theme as WAGA and so it is mislabeled. Notice the San Antonio usage of KTVY 1980 and WAGA 1977; Outlet owned KSAT at the time.

**Known only by the demo reel, which features an animation with the slogan "There's a New 9 Coming"; I asked what it was on an earlier version of the video and I got this answer. KTPX later became KWES.

More ads out of Broadcasting magazine... The first one ran in 1979 and the second one, which is from the same time frame, appeared in 1981.

[photos clipped to save space]

, the demo reel (the "Package of Packages") from this company (Hayes Broadcast Promotion and Syndication aka Hayes Productions). Combined with that video, San Antonio-based Hayes can be said with confidence to have produced the following news themes:

KMOL 1979

From top to bottom, the items featured in the second image are WTLV ActionNews from 1980 (presumably from when they joined ABC), KMOL from 1979, and a "Campaign 80" bumper that probably is from CBS.

It's worth noting that in the demo reel a WAGA open is overlaid with KMOL's news set for the demo—this explains why, since Hayes was based out of San Antonio and had KMOL as one of its clients.

*Listed as X Belongs; WAGA debuted X Belongs from Peters later in 1979. WTLV used the same theme as WAGA and so it is mislabeled. Notice the San Antonio usage of KTVY 1980 and WAGA 1977; Outlet owned KSAT at the time.

**Known only by the demo reel, which features an animation with the slogan "There's a New 9 Coming". KTPX later became KWES.

WOW. What a find. This is so cool. Never knew the old KMOL theme was done by a locally-based firm. Thanks for finding this out Raymie.

Also, the first ad from 1979 said they had been in business for "a dozen years" so that means they were established in 1967. Let's see if Raymie can find out more about this "Hayes Broadcast Corporation" and when/why they went out of business.

WOW. What a find. This is so cool. Never knew the old KMOL theme was done by a locally-based firm. Thanks for finding this out Raymie.

Also, the first ad from 1979 said they had been in business for "a dozen years" so that means they were established in 1967. Let's see if Raymie can find out more about this "Hayes Broadcast Corporation" and when/why they went out of business.

Their last ad in Broadcasting magazine was in 1983, for a package of movie opens for stations.

In USPTO's trademark database, their logo is listed under Hayes Productions, with a First Use in Commerce date of June 23, 1978. The logo trademark was cancelled in 1990.

Hayes also apparently had a large commercial production business, so there's that. Records for two people that worked there (including someone on LinkedIn) both have them leaving by 1984. It appears Hayes Productions was the primary name of this business.

I recognize one of the singers on KTVY 1980 - I've talked to him before, and he didn't remember who did it. Now I need to ask him if he remembers anything about Hayes. (I had assumed it was done in Dallas, since he has sung in Dallas for years. I guess I was wrong.)

• 2 weeks later...

The archives of Broadcasting Magazine are a gold mine. Just discovered a dozen stations that have used "Move Closer to Your World". Time to get to work on putting together the info for the NMSA.

KMOL 1979

**Known only by the demo reel, which features an animation with the slogan "There's a New 9 Coming"; I asked what it was on an earlier version of the video and I got this answer. KTPX later became KWES.

The archives of Broadcasting Magazine are a gold mine. Just discovered a dozen stations that have used "Move Closer to Your World". Time to get to work on putting together the info for the NMSA.

Is a station in Hampton Roads in there somewhere? Perhaps this will help back up my mother's memories of hearing it on WAVY.

Is a station in Hampton Roads in there somewhere? Perhaps this will help back up my mother's memories of hearing it on WAVY.

No Hampton Roads station was listed... here's the image of the ad from 1973:

mi10n9.jpg

The stations not listed in the NMSA are:

WTVJ (Miami)

WLWI (Indianapolis - now WTHR and a repeat client of Mayoham)

WJHG (Panama City)

KGW (Portland, OR)

KSL (Salt Lake City)

KTVI (St. Louis)

WDSU (New Orleans)

KDBC (El Paso)

Okay... well short of a dozen, but eight stations is quite the coup for lost information. I can't input in for reason as the form is missing for me in the NMSA. MCTYW ended up with over 90 markets carrying the theme according to the book "News is People".

That WTVJ entry for MCTYW is interesting. A few CBS affiliates did use the theme.

Note: That ad is great because I've noticed that font used elsewhere in station ads, most notably WTOL which had the slogan "MCTYW" in that font, and I have to take it they used the theme.

KPHO would have been a new find except that when I found an ID of them with Part of Your Life, I suspected they used MCTYW because WHEN/WTVH, KCMO and WNEM all used MCTYW, then POYL, in the 70s. I then fished up a newspaper ad from 1973 (can't get a good picture thanks to paywall and tiny thumbnails, but I have text) that went like this:

Move closer to your world

WEEKNIGHTS AT 10:00

EYEWITNESS NEWS

KEN COY - NEWS

WALT BROWN - SPORTS

ART BROCK - WEATHER

kpho-tv5

The funny thing is that I'd never heard of any of those KPHO personalities. I was also surprised that they continued carrying a 10pm newscast well into their independent days; in the 80s that 10pm became a 9:30 newscast, which was a 9pm for several fleeting months in 1994.

KPHO kept the Eyewitness News name until around 1978 or so. Two years later, the name promptly reappeared, on channel 3 when it shed the Total News name and music (KTVK kept it until 1986). I'm half expecting the 5 and 3 combo to brand as Eyewitness News like some of the Nexstar duopolies.

No Hampton Roads station was listed...

Hmm. Well, that either makes me the least reliable source ever or gives me a rough time period for when they picked it up. Not sure which.

I'm half expecting the 5 and 3 combo to brand as Eyewitness News like some of the Nexstar duopolies.

It would definitely work, given KPHO's affiliation.

That WTVJ entry for MCTYW is interesting. A few CBS affiliates did use the theme.

Note: That ad is great because I've noticed that font used elsewhere in station ads, most notably WTOL which had the slogan "MCTYW" in that font, and I have to take it they used the theme.

It's ITC Busorama. Unfortunately, some of the characters used in that logo didn't make the leap to digital type.

Has anyone dug up whoever composed this WRIC theme, by the way?

KPHO would have been a new find except that when I found an ID of them with Part of Your Life, I suspected they used MCTYW because WHEN/WTVH, KCMO and WNEM all used MCTYW, then POYL, in the 70s. I then fished up a newspaper ad from 1973 (can't get a good picture thanks to paywall and tiny thumbnails, but I have text) that went like this:

The funny thing is that I'd never heard of any of those KPHO personalities. I was also surprised that they continued carrying a 10pm newscast well into their independent days; in the 80s that 10pm became a 9:30 newscast, which was a 9pm for several fleeting months in 1994.

KPHO kept the Eyewitness News name until around 1978 or so. Two years later, the name promptly reappeared, on channel 3 when it shed the Total News name and music (KTVK kept it until 1986). I'm half expecting the 5 and 3 combo to brand as Eyewitness News like some of the Nexstar duopolies.

So I'm not the only one who had that thought! ;)

That KPHO ad is a really interesting find. BTW, the switch of the late news from 10 p.m. to 9:30 must have happened in the late 1970s, because the ad below is from 1979:

tvguide79-2a_zpsdbc1086e.png

• 2 weeks later...

Good question.... I'm looking around through some searches to see if I can help you uncover that.

Meantime, found a super long version of the original jingle sing here:

And here are some different vocal styles/updated musical versions of the song that I've never heard, as featured on KLAX's website.

http://klax-tv.com/best-of-the-class-2014/

Does anybody know who composed the 'Best of The Class' theme? I'm talking about the theme that was used to profile High-School graduates on thousands of TV stations across the country.

Found the answer to the jingle composer of "Best of the Class" advertising jingle.

His name is Arthur Fields (ARTIE FIELDS PRODUCTIONS) and the story looks to be an interesting one. It was written and composed in 1982 for WXYZ, and relicensed for stations across the country. Not sure if there were ever any "customized versions mentioning schools, towns or station call letters"

Years later, legal issues came up. There were are questions about potential copyright infringement when WXYZ updated the jingle in the 90's and had changed the titling "brightest and best" that Fields was not a part of. Although exclusively created for WXYZ, Fields said the contract gave him the right to recreate and relicense the jingle for other clients outside of the exclusive home base of Detroit and accused XYZ of copyright infringement over their updating of the jingle without his permission.

See link

http://openjurist.org/97/f3d/1451/artie-fields-productions-inc-v-channel-seven-of-detroit-inc-wxyz-tv

Does anybody know who composed the 'Best of The Class' theme? I'm talking about the theme that was used to profile High-School graduates on thousands of TV stations across the country.

I recently found out something. The theme that KENS used from VTS Productions during the 1980s and the 1990s could be connected to the "Clearly The One" campaign that the station used during the 1980s. In fact, I believe that the KENS theme could be titled "Clearly The One" since KENS aired promos under that name.

I'm including a link to each video that includes the four-note "Clearly The One" signature.

(Clearly The One promo - version #1)

(Clearly The One promo - version #2)

(Clearly The One promo - version #3)