Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

swingin' hog balls haaaa!! Oh the music, I'm not sure.... it could be a Firstcom track since they've used a few of their cuts for various openings, but I don't recall that cut from back in the day from being in their library. That's not saying it's not there.

Seems like I hear a couple of mix diferences between the clip right before :16 and after. (Mainly the sax) It may be a small theme package and not a library cut.... maybe someone else will know this one.

From the WTRF blooper reel, at 0:16:

Yeah, I don't recall ever hearing that softer cut used on any WAVY newscasts that I've seen on tape. When I worked there, I saw the old SAM original reel to reel of "The Team" which of course got renamed to Wall-to-Wall News and a box from Tuesday Prod. Unfortunately, someone must have scurried off with the VTS reel from the super-secret theme collection closet.

Here's a clip of WAVY using that KCRL open cut...

And that awkward moment when there's a clip of Barbara Ciara

Here's a clip of WAVY using that KCRL open cut...

And that awkward moment when there's a clip of Barbara Ciara

Great find! Now we know it was mixed in there. Ya know, everytime I hear the faster portion of the VTS bump, I see a vision of Don Slater doing an ID and whipping his chair back around towards his little monitor with a expression of "will this blasted 4sec ID ever pad out to 10 seconds and get done) look on his face.

According to link below, here is the original writer/composer and singer info of the original "We're with You on 11Alive" promo campaign for Atlanta.

Atlanta 11 Alive

(Jayne Critelli/David Lucas)

WXIA- Michael Bolton/Vivian Cherry, vocals

http://www.jaynecritelli.com/music/jingles.html - - the full length song is featured on the page.

Begs the question if Gari bought out this entire work, along with what became known now as the Great News Package, which was known as Hello News II and originally as News 88.

Very interesting. Maybe Gari licensed it - he licensed Cool Hand Luke for NS2000, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. (And remember Telesound licensing Classical Gas - there was also a cut in TM's "Where You Belong" which incorporated Classical Gas, since WBAL was using the Telesound version concurrently with "WYB.")

I've been trying to get in contact w/ David Lucas too (about another theme he may have done - ASCAP lists him and Tom McFaul as doing a WRGB news theme which may be WRGB 1986)

The main Great News theme did not originate from this "We're with You" promo song - the verse melody was just worked into several cuts. And remember that the "We're with You on 11 Alive" musical phrase already originated from Gari, via the original Hello News song - specifically, the ending of the Florence Warner version. (That phrase was even worked into one cut of the 1983 Hello News update - the notes match up with WXIA's earlier Hello tagline "It's All Right Here on 11 Alive.")

Very interesting. Maybe Gari licensed it - he licensed Cool Hand Luke for NS2000, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. (And remember Telesound licensing Classical Gas - there was also a cut in TM's "Where You Belong" which incorporated Classical Gas, since WBAL was using the Telesound version concurrently with "WYB.")

I've been trying to get in contact w/ David Lucas too (about another theme he may have done - ASCAP lists him and Tom McFaul as doing a WRGB news theme which may be WRGB 1986)

The main Great News theme did not originate from this "We're with You" promo song - the verse melody was just worked into several cuts. And remember that the "We're with You on 11 Alive" musical phrase already originated from Gari, via the original Hello News song - specifically, the ending of the Florence Warner version. (That phrase was even worked into one cut of the 1983 Hello News update - the notes match up with WXIA's earlier Hello tagline "It's All Right Here on 11 Alive.")

Great info!! I had totally forgotten about the ending of the that version of the Hello song and how the tag notes match up. Maybe David Lucas and/or Jayne Critelli can shed some more light over all of this and you'll find answers over the1986 WRGB theme if you can ever track him down. You are right, it totally wouldn't out of the question that Gari may have licensed out that aspect of the deal to ultimately keep everyone happy, and in the end, he still make a boatload of money with the entire collection over the years. It would be a neat experience to understand how that all played out (from a licensing and cooperation standpoint), even if they couldn't dive into very deep specifics.

Found this gem from the Cayman Islands (third one down that says "CAYMAN 27 NEWS AT SIX"):

http://new.livestream.com/Cayman27/online

It may be the Cayman Islands, but this has US written all over it. They have J.C. Burns graphics and they even have Harry Schultz as a voice-over. I know that they had used 615's "The Rainmaker" at one point but this doesn't sound like that.

That's Shelly Palmer's "Brave New World". They use the second theme in KMTV's NMSA sample (my personal favorite, by the way) on evening newscasts. (EDIT: Whoops, thought you were referring to the morning clip that's currently at the top. I now realize I was just stating the obvious there...sorry.)

I don't know when they picked it up, but I'd guess it was within the last 3 to 4 years.

And now, my own request: can anyone identify this theme? I've had a special attachment to it for years (don't ask me why), and have always wondered who did it. I'd imagine it was a local composer - perhaps the same person who did their current theme?

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the earlier thread, but surprised to see where Jerome Gilmer is the creator/composer of "KHOU Stands For Houston".. I know he had planned to get out of writing news music, but it looks as if he's still into doing some image campaigns. His site mentions that he's picked up multiple emmys and has created multiple song versions since the campaign was commissioned.

http://gilmermusic.com/author/jeromegil7794com2180/

http://gilmermusic.com/whats-new/

Hopefully someday in the future, the composers of these following themes could be identified:

• (also used on
    )
  • (also used on WAKC)

• (used until '97)

This posting could be edited if I think of another unknown theme.

Don't forget WMAR 1993. Very 90's but I love that theme, one of my faves for sure.

promoguy98 made the find, but it deserves to be shared because it's quite a collection.

News 4 = KRCG 1986 = All We Are, We Are for You (under the latter title). The theme is listed THREE times in the NMSA and was in total used by four stations: KRCG (which had resings of it as "Depend on Us, 13", KTHI, WISC and WTOK. It appears to have been commissioned by WISC, and that's where we have the most examples of it. They used it up until the early 90s.

Here's a full minute, undisturbed, of the theme (KRCG cut), and a promo with the WISC open cut. WISC also had Tuesday sing over that cut for the "city" jingle.

There were other jingles: the rural jingle (second version), country, pop and contemporary. The last two have Wayne Nelson, of the Little River Band, on the lead; he later bought Tuesday and moved it to Florida.

The WISC jingles are awesome stuff I hadn't heard before I got this one. He apparently once had the full demo.

promoguy98 made the find, but it deserves to be shared because it's quite a collection.

News 4 = KRCG 1986 = All We Are, We Are for You (under the latter title). The theme is listed THREE times in the NMSA and was in total used by four stations: KRCG (which had resings of it as "Depend on Us, 13", KTHI, WISC and WTOK. It appears to have been commissioned by WISC, and that's where we have the most examples of it. They used it up until the early 90s.

Here's a full minute, undisturbed, of the theme (KRCG cut), and a promo with the WISC open cut. WISC also had Tuesday sing over that cut for the "city" jingle.

There were other jingles: the rural jingle (second version), country, pop and contemporary. The last two have Wayne Nelson, of the Little River Band, on the lead; he later bought Tuesday and moved it to Florida.

The WISC jingles are awesome stuff I hadn't heard before I got this one. He apparently once had the full demo.

Oh yeah thanks for posting. Forgot about mentioning it! I discovered that guy's clips one day when doing a search for news promos and opens on youtube. The buy and move of Tuesday Productions happened fairly recently... like 2012 / 2013ish.

I did find a full 10pm newscast from 1986 with that theme:

Glad to see this. I had been thinking KRCG 1986 might be connected to News 4, but I never even thought about the "All We Are, We Are For You" connection...wow.

Also, I'm kind of curious as to why it was titled News 4 (at least at one point in time), yet none of the known clients were on channel 4...

Glad to see this. I had been thinking KRCG 1986 might be connected to News 4, but I never even thought about the "All We Are, We Are For You" connection...wow.

Also, I'm kind of curious as to why it was titled News 4 (at least at one point in time), yet none of the known clients were on channel 4...

That last link is mine because I remembered there's an NMSA entry with that name but no sample, and only one station is listed under it: WTOK.

Is it possible to identify the composers of these themes?:

* WGN Nightbeat Theme

* WGN 1980 News Theme

* WGN 1984 News Theme

* WGN 1991 News Theme

* WPIX 2010 News Theme

* KTLA 1962 News Theme

* KTLA 1970 News Theme

* KTLA 1982 News Theme

* KTLA 1990 News Theme

* KTLA 2005 News Theme

* KWGN 1988 News Theme

* KWGN 1991 News Theme

* KWGN 1993 News Theme

* KWGN 1995 News Theme

* KWGN 2008 News Theme

Is it possible to identify the composers of these themes?:

* WGN Nightbeat Theme

* WGN 1980 News Theme

* WGN 1984 News Theme

* WGN 1991 News Theme

* WPIX 2010 News Theme

* KTLA 1962 News Theme

* KTLA 1970 News Theme

* KTLA 1982 News Theme

* KTLA 1990 News Theme

* KTLA 2005 News Theme

* KWGN 1988 News Theme

* KWGN 1991 News Theme

* KWGN 1993 News Theme

* KWGN 1995 News Theme

* KWGN 2008 News Theme

I can help out with at least a couple of these that I have personally confirmed.

CONFIRMED:

WGN 1991 - Terry Fryer Music of Chicago

KTLA 1990 - VTS Productions - this is one package that a few of us were recently talking about in the thread.

SPEC:

WGN 1984 - quite possibly was produced in Chicago since the vocal campaign to Chicago's Very Own was locally produced.

Speaking of WGN, here are a couple of other tidbits.

Before Chicago's Very Own launched in 1983, earlier that year (possibly 1982 is my guess) they had another super-short lived jingle and image campaign - it was titled: WGN - Oh, What a Good Friend. Some of those musical elements lived on several years in random places, such as movie intro elements etc etc.

Here is the link to the 82-83ish jingle:

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/index.php?c=590

The WGN 1984 promo campaign was by a Chicago production company called TMK-Elias. The lyricist of the promo song, Lynn Sanders, mentions it in her bio. Since the 1984 news theme has the same melody, I'd wager they did it too. (BMI lists "WGN News" and "We're Chicago's Very Own" written by Sheldon Elias, and the U.S. Copyright Office lists "We're Chicago's Very Own" by Sheldon Elias and Theodore M. Kay. No mention of Lynn Sanders, but whatever...)

TMK-Elias also did other campaigns for WGN that are listed in the Copyright Office, some dated 1980. So not only do I have a hunch they did the 1980 news theme, but perhaps they did "WGN: Oh, What a Good Friend" too.

Oh, and BMI also lists two more curiosities for Sheldon Elias: "WHTM News Package" and "WISC TV News Package". Perhaps those are their respective "I Love Chicago"-alike packages?

Sheldon Elias is no longer with us, but Ted Kay is still alive and kicking. Maybe he'd know.

The WGN 1984 promo campaign was by a Chicago production company called TMK-Elias. The lyricist of the promo song, Lynn Sanders, mentions it in her bio. Since the 1984 news theme has the same melody, I'd wager they did it too. (BMI lists "WGN News" and "We're Chicago's Very Own" written by Sheldon Elias, and the U.S. Copyright Office lists "We're Chicago's Very Own" by Sheldon Elias and Theodore M. Kay. No mention of Lynn Sanders, but whatever...)

TMK-Elias also did other campaigns for WGN that are listed in the Copyright Office, some dated 1980. So not only do I have a hunch they did the 1980 news theme, but perhaps they did "WGN: Oh, What a Good Friend" too.

Oh, and BMI also lists two more curiosities for Sheldon Elias: "WHTM News Package" and "WISC TV News Package". Perhaps those are their respective "I Love Chicago"-alike packages?

Sheldon Elias is no longer with us, but Ted Kay is still alive and kicking. Maybe he'd know.

I find it hard to believe WGN only used "Oh, What a Good Friend" for a year or LESS. Your theory makes sense over the reasoning that it may have been by the same company. Some of those clips in the song sure don't look to be 1983. I would have guessed 80 or 81, perhaps that jingle lasted a little longer than believed on the Fuzzy TV clip site. I recall seeing a Youtube ID with just the instrumental ID variation of "...the Good Friend" theme.. which may have been listed as 1982. I'll have to go take a look. Also a :10 or :15 second variation was used for one or two of their many movie openers well into the late 80's or early 90's.

Great info and background over the late Sheldon Elias!

"Oh, What a Good Friend" wasn't one of the ones listed in the Copyright Office, but that doesn't mean it wasn't them. I was just saying there were compositions listed that were dated as early as 1980. There's "Hey, Look at Us", "Hold That Smile" and "You're Gonna Fall for Us" all dated 1980 (don't know if any of these were used) and "WG"N"tertains You" from 1982 (I know this was - a program with that title shows up in TV listings from '82, and someone on FuzzyMemories says the WGN-tertains You music was used on the Late Movie in the late 80s/early 90s.)

Ted Kay was formerly a writer in WGN's Sales Department before he co-founded TMK-Elias, so they probably did a lot of WGN's custom music in the 70s-80s. Perhaps it was even a Frank Gari/WEWS situation, where they did all of it.

As for KWGN, ASCAP lists a package by Terry Fryer, but I don't know which one it was out of the four unknown themes in NMSA.