Discovered composers & publishers of music themes

promoguy98

Starting a new thread, that hopefully others can add to, as unknown themes are able to be matched with a composer and/or publishing house.

While doing some digging over a theme once used by a Pensacola station, I happened to find the creator of a unknown package used in Nashville.... so here's my first submission.

WSMV - The Diary (1993-94) is from Hummingbird Productions

A small snippet is located on their Youtube 'Feel Good' music reel at :52 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOo-R07kgGE

Enjoy!

Starting a new thread, that hopefully others can add to, as unknown themes are able to be matched with a composer and/or publishing house.

While doing some digging over a theme once used by a Pensacola station, I happened to find the creator of a unknown package used in Nashville.... so here's my first submission.

WSMV - The Diary (1993-94) is from Hummingbird Productions

A small snippet is located on their Youtube 'Feel Good' music reel at :52 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOo-R07kgGE

Enjoy!

Hummingbird, and out of Nashville, no less! Nice find! Their only other known news theme is that WEAR 1994 custom package. Should have known that a local company would have done the WSMV stuff.

Well, they also apparently did some WJLA promos from the mid 80s:

And a 1992 KCRA promo:

And the mid-90s "Here's 2 St. Louis" campaign KTVI used when they went Fox:

On the subject of WSMV, they commissioned JAM's Yours Truly—they're the credited commissioner on the JAM site, the image songs were originally written with Nashville references, and Nashville native John Young (instead of Charlie Van Dyke) voices the demo.

Hummingbird, and out of Nashville, no less! Nice find! Their only other known news theme is that WEAR 1994 custom package. Should have known that a local company would have done the WSMV stuff.

Nice info being added already, awesome awesome!

By the way Raymie, I'm looking at a potential music-related deal over the WEAR 1994 custom package. I know Hummingbird is the publisher, but from what I've been told, the pack was freelanced out, guess a freelance (ghost) writer or composer. I have a feeling I'm going to hit a dead end before I uncover the composer/writer(s) behind the package.It's also next to impossible to find and hear any quality pieces around the wild west web. Can you help me with any info? Or does anyone else know any tidbits?

Reply or send me a private msg! Thanks

Well, since Pensacola just came up...WBRZ 1985 is an unnamed theme by Terry Sweet & Associates, according to the uploader of all those clips featuring WEAR using it.

Whoa! Another great find!

I have some in my pocket, but they're waiting to be confirmed by the composers. One I am particularly eager to announce because it would be a larger find than either of these two. I think I hooked a name for one of the most popular unnamed themes.

But I can pull this fresh find out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyT3XbQLug4 — KGMB, 1999 with newly found 1997 Theme (composed by Audy Kimura). I found the theme entry while looking for Hawaii News Now. It's likely that he composed the 2009 KGMB/KHNL theme as well but I cannot be sure.

can't wait until somebody unearths the composer behind the superly awesome 2012 WTVJ theme..... ahhh it's just a matter of time bwahaha! Who knows maybe that's Raymie's super-secret find!

In the meantime I'll be working on uncovering details over the WEAR 1994 custom theme for anyone interested. If I ever get answers, you just may see that theme come back to life in some form or another, obviously with updated material to go with the orginal works.

can't wait until somebody unearths the composer behind the superly awesome 2012 WTVJ theme..... ahhh it's just a matter of time bwahaha! Who knows maybe that's Raymie's super-secret find!

In the meantime I'll be working on uncovering details over the WEAR 1994 custom theme for anyone interested. If I ever get answers, you just may see that theme come back to life in some form or another, obviously with updated material to go with the orginal works.

there is an actual youtube video that Raymie posted not too long ago (it is in the Classic Video pre-2000) or if you really can not find it, in youtube, you can search for ID open 1994, reminder: it runs for about 21 seconds, I think its has the opening for the 6pm news.

now to my discovery: a long time ago, I came across on a VHS tape an weather tease for WIBW-TV's 10pm report and i thought up until now, that clip was the news theme until I noticed the Various TV newscasts opens:

What I noticed from one of the Various TV newscasts opens, promos, station id's etc. part 95 was that WIBW-TV (Topeka Kansas) was using an unidentified news theme and it lasted from 14:45-15:05. I thought it was an softly played news music for the late 80's. here is the video I was viewing** (play through 14:45 and stop at 15:05)

I wish I could find out what kind of theme it is and who composed it and I can remember from a post is that the theme was composed in 1989 and I think its production music (unless it has a name/composer to go with it)

Here are a few more random themes that I know of, that aren't listed with a composer (as of now) on the SouthernMedia NMSA site.

(KTLA 1990-1996 Theme) is titled KTLA Prime News by VTS Productions. Logo is based off of KTLA's 1982 theme.

(WLOX 1998 Theme) is by Jeff Ford Productions, based out of Baton Rouge.

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,892

(CBS 1988 Affiliate Package) This is titled as "WJSU 1985 News Theme" on the NMSA site. The vocal and news instrumental package is a part of the CBS 1988 "Television You Can Feel" campaign. I'm 99.9% certain it is from Frank Gari and the boys.

The secret package is from the 80s. The name was found amidst a listing of two other major works from the music company. When I saw it with those names it made immediate sense though I had never heard that name for a news music package. I've been sitting on this for eight months awaiting confirmation through my partner in news music crime.

@promoguy98 Consider talking to TServo2049. He's the other news music guru on this site, and he has contacts with the composers. Did not know about the WLOX theme.

Oh yes, and I've been hounding the NMSA on the CBS 1988 Affiliate Package for years—in fact, I did it for a third time in an email I sent today. It's one of the worst errors on the site, besides the absolute trash that is the Joplin records (I've written forum posts on that too).

Also, KTLA 1990 is VTS? Well, that's interesting. The ending is a dead ringer for a lot of the VTS packages from this era, so I'm not terribly surprised.

The secret package is from the 80s.

@promoguy98 Consider talking to TServo2049. He's the other news music guru on this site, and he has contacts with the composers. Did not know about the WLOX theme.

Oh yes, and I've been hounding the NMSA on the CBS 1988 Affiliate Package for years—in fact, I did it for a third time in an email I sent today. It's one of the worst errors on the site, besides the absolute trash that is the Joplin records (I've written forum posts on that too).

lol... yeah, also mentioned it to the NMSA guy a couple of months ago! Maybe it's all part of the long-running joke that none of us actually get... naaaah probably wants to see how many people will fuss about the mistake before he changes it!! Question is, which year will it happen? haha

Thanks for info on TServo. I'll def reach out to him tomorrow with a PM and see if he can help out. I appreciate it!

Here are a few more random themes that I know of, that aren't listed with a composer (as of now) on the SouthernMedia NMSA site.

(KTLA 1990-1996 Theme) is titled KTLA Prime News by VTS Productions. Logo is based off of KTLA's 1982 theme.

(CBS 1988 Affiliate Package) This is titled as "WJSU 1985 News Theme" on the NMSA site. The vocal and news instrumental package is a part of the CBS 1988 "Television You Can Feel" campaign. I'm 99.9% certain it is from Frank Gari and the boys.

How do you know KTLA 1990 is VTS? I'm in contact with Hal Brown, the guy who founded and ran VTS, but I never asked about KTLA '90. I will do it next time I talk to him, though. I do know that the original '82 package is not from VTS.

As to CBS 1988, what makes you 99.9% sure it's Gari? I've talked to Frank Gari over the phone exactly once, and that was years ago. If I can get in contact with him again, I'll certainly ask about that one.

I'm wary about unsourced identifications and guesses, and I know the NMSA webmaster is too (which could be why he never changed the year of WJSU "1985"). I don't report guesses to NMSA, only confirmed info.

And I know about Raymie's secret project - I'm the one trying to confirm his find (from the same source who gave me the publisher ID for the package about 5-6 years ago), but I haven't gotten a response for whatever reason. I will try again; this person has been helpful before.

I will look into all these in the near future, it's just that I've just been very busy with my actual job.

How do you know KTLA 1990 is VTS? I'm in contact with Hal Brown, the guy who founded and ran VTS, but I never asked about KTLA '90. I will do it next time I talk to him, though. I do know that the original '82 package is not from VTS.

As to CBS 1988, what makes you 99.9% sure it's Gari? I've talked to Frank Gari over the phone exactly once, and that was years ago. If I can get in contact with him again, I'll certainly ask about that one.

I'm wary about unsourced identifications and guesses, and I know the NMSA webmaster is too (which could be why he never changed the year of WJSU "1985"). I don't report guesses to NMSA, only confirmed info.

Hopefully these will help answer some of the questions. Regarding KTLA, I was in contact with Hal many, many years ago as well, and had a copy of the VTS 90's work for KTLA and cutlist. And you are right that it was the first package done by VTS for KTLA, based upon the early 80's logo, produced by another composer and company. The VTS KTLA package was about 225-250 cuts. Concerning the CBS 88 package, I worked for 2 CBS affiliates in the very early 2000's. I saw mutiple reels and information still left over from that era. The reason I said 99.9% is because I do not have a copy of these, in the rare event I'm 0.01 wrong, which would be shocking, then the 0.01% chance covers my tail. But I've seen a handful of the reels... which contained multiple versions of the network verion of the vocal campaign and surprisingly many more arrangements of the affiliate news themes than typically was purchased and shared with the affiliates. CBS spent major money on the campaign that year in the late 80's, and for good reason. They were flopping in the ratings. Now, that is well documented for sure lol. Hopefully that answered some questions TServo2049. I will be in touch soon over some information discussed in this topic, and as discussed with Raymie yesterday.

That does answer some questions. And yes, feel free to PM me. I'm especially intrigued by the CBS affiliate stuff. I can think of at least one other package in the NMSA that may well be a CBS affil package, but is not yet explicitly identified as such.

Awesome man! Sorry I just reread my post and it came across the wrong way when I was trying to make a point. :) About to edit it.

Hopefully these will help answer some of the questions. Regarding KTLA, I was in contact with Hal many, many years ago as well, and had a copy of the VTS 90's work for KTLA and cutlist. And you are right that it was the first package done by VTS for KTLA, based upon the early 80's logo, produced by another composer and company. The VTS KTLA package was about 225-250 cuts. Concerning the CBS 88 package, I worked for 2 CBS affiliates in the very early 2000's. I saw mutiple reels and information still left over from that era. The reason I said 99.9% is because I do not have a copy of these, in the rare event I'm 0.01 wrong, which would be shocking, then the 0.01% chance covers my tail. But I've seen a handful of the reels... which contained multiple versions of the network verion of the vocal campaign and surprisingly many more arrangements of the affiliate news themes than typically was purchased and shared with the affiliates. CBS spent major money on the campaign that year in the late 80's, and for good reason. They were flopping in the ratings. Now, that is well documented for sure lol. Hopefully that answered some questions TServo2049. I will be in touch soon over some information discussed in this topic, and as discussed with Raymie yesterday.

If there were only a copy of some clean cuts of the KTLA package.. grew up listening to that theme every single day until Flashpoint was put into place.

true true @nicksair.. I used to have cuts and a cue sheet of the KTLA VTS package. It definitely has a memorable, easy to hum logo that doesn't blend in like wallpaper nor does the pack try to be overly hipster.

@leavellebrett nice sounding theme there. I'm on the search for a few things over the next couple of weeks, so I'll shoot you a PM if I have any luck.

Have another mystery theme to share that someone may be able to identity a composer or company for. It's not on the NMSA site as of now, but it was used by WTOG 44 in Tampa from (late 80s? or early 90's?) thru 1993. It was also used on WAKA Channel 8 Montgomery from (late 80s? or early 90's?) through defintely 1993 for sure. I know that from visiting someone who worked at the station. I heard the music in question when they were showing me some opens and bump animations, but have no idea where it came from. It was around 7 cuts on the ONLY master they had of it, a videotape! It included an open, close (which is used in the teaser below) and 2 to 3 odd-length bumpers, around :07 to :25 seconds, which featured a lighter bump and rhythm with keys.

WTOG was having some audio issues the night the newscast was recorded... like a missing anchor mic on tease, glitches and levels everywhere. Good thing is that it gave an opportunity for a quick music only piece.

Link to a YouTube clip of the tease, ID and open:

Link to audio version of the above file with some down and dirty noise reduction:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ru1s3yxmhkp6bic/9OQNnMPzYO

Have another mystery theme to share that someone may be able to identity a composer or company for. It's not on the NMSA site as of now, but it was used by WTOG 44 in Tampa from (late 80s? or early 90's?) thru 1993. It was also used on WAKA Channel 8 Montgomery from (late 80s? or early 90's?) through defintely 1993 for sure. I know that from visiting someone who worked at the station. I heard the music in question when they were showing me some opens and bump animations, but have no idea where it came from. It was around 7 cuts on the ONLY master they had of it, a videotape! It included an open, close (which is used in the teaser below) and 2 to 3 odd-length bumpers, around :07 to :25 seconds, which featured a lighter bump and rhythm with keys.

WTOG was having some audio issues the night the newscast was recorded... like a missing anchor mic on tease, glitches and levels everywhere. Good thing is that it gave an opportunity for a quick music only piece.

Link to a YouTube clip of the tease, ID and open:

Link to audio version of the above file with some down and dirty noise reduction:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ru1s3yxmhkp6bic/9OQNnMPzYO

I'm about to shock you.

I think this might be Silvertree. WTOG (but not WAKA) was on the Silvertree client list. I'm slightly reminded of the KWCH 1993 theme.