New 5 p.m. Anchor at WPVI

Daybreak

I wasn't going to ask this, because this might be one of the most pointless pieces of speculation EVER on this site...but I will, anyway.

If Jim were to ever get a co-anchor, how would the two sit at the desk...the standard man-on-the-left, or would Jim retain the seat beside Cecily?

Again, my apologies.

I wasn't going to ask this, because this might be one of the most pointless pieces of speculation EVER on this site...but I will, anyway.

If Jim were to ever get a co-anchor, how would the two sit at the desk...the standard man-on-the-left, or would Jim retain the seat beside Cecily?

Again, my apologies.

Looking at it, my guess would be that'd he sit on the left, with the co-anchor between him and Cecily. I say this because when there has been a fourth person with them at the desk that's how it's been done (going to the first 11pm break they used to have a feature report teased and that person would be sitting in that seat as the camera zooms out with Cecily next to that person). It's also consistent with the 4pm & 5pm, and it's also where Rob sat on the day they paid him a tribute.

Sarah was in on Sunday again (not sure about Saturday). I also saw that Eva was in some days (later part of the week) at noon last week, and that Nydia was in today at noon. I paid close attention to the close of the noon today, and when Rick said "and now for [...]" he did mention Sarah's name. I wonder what's going on. The newspapers seem to be awfully quiet about all this too.

Sarah was in on Sunday again (not sure about Saturday). I also saw that Eva was in some days (later part of the week) at noon last week, and that Nydia was in today at noon. I paid close attention to the close of the noon today, and when Rick said "and now for [...]" he did mention Sarah's name. I wonder what's going on. The newspapers seem to be awfully quiet about all this too.

I wonder if perhaps she's pregnant again? And having morning sickness? Or something like that???

I'm really enjoying her and Walter together, though! Forgot how strong of a pair they are.

We don't have any newspaper reporting on local TV or local TV ratings. Nachman just regurgitates press releases and there are no real TV columnists in the Inquirer or Daily News anymore. They're basically sports sections with some news on the side - the papers are in incredibly sad shape.

So we're only left with press releases sent out by the stations, and those press releases are usually released by 6, and we haven't had one in a year.

That's why I'd like to get nielsen numbers...

We have our answer. Sharrie Williams will be joining Rick and Monica as a contributing anchor, much in the same way Alicia Viterali does at 4pm.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20140218_Sharrie_Williams_joins_6ABC_as_new_anchor.html

As a historical note, Action News has done tri-anchor format in the past (two co-anchors and one contributing anchor). When Action News first expanded to 5pm, Jim O'Brien and Marc Howard co-anchored the newscast which featured Lisa Thomas-Laury as a contributing anchor. After Jim O'Brien's death, the 5pm newscast was co-anchored by Marc and Lisa for the next 19 years.

We have our answer. Sharrie Williams will be joining Rick and Monica as a contributing anchor, much in the same way Alicia Viterali does at 4pm.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20140218_Sharrie_Williams_joins_6ABC_as_new_anchor.html

Good. Even though she'll report for the 11, I wouldn't be surprised if she were to shift to the noon news should Bloomquist become permanent on the weekends.

MattRatingsPleaSm.png

---

Anyway. So basically, the 5 is getting its own Big Board Girl like the 4 has. Not really necessary, I think - while a tri-anchor team might have worked for them in the past, it wasn't an addition to an already popular anchor pairing. This should be interesting, methinks.

Well, that's good to know...I feel a sense of relief! But I still don't understand why they needed someone NEW to do that - couldn't Alicia just do that at 5 in addition to 4?

Also - I've never really seen the 4 pm show - what exactly does Alicia do? Just check in on Facebook and Twitter users? Where is there even time for that in the 5 pm show/is it really necessary? I guess that's what's cool in the news these days.

I'm kind of upset. I would have liked Jim to get a co anchor. He is an amazing anchor but there is something about local anchors getting their own shows that I don't like. I understand network news but local... I think I am just used to Male-Female or Female-Female pairings that I don't like just Male.

Is the action news big board really that popular? And as another poster mentioned, couldn't Alicia just do both shows? I dunno, I think we got a short term answer to why ch6 is making this move, but I have a feeling they have long-term plans yet to be made known.

BTW, I think it would be a smart move for 6 to team up Monica, or whoever with Jim in his last yr or so, just so when he does retire there isn't this sock of a totally new anchor team at 6 &11. Maybe another move they should do is have Rick & Monica anchor 6 & 11 together whenever Jim is on vacation (which is alot, especially during the summer).

If by "popular" you mean "using it fifty times each broadcast for no particular reason", then yes, it's popular. 3, 10, and (I think?) 29 have touch-tech as well, and they run much better interfaces than what 6's software runs on, but 6 is the one who will use it every. damn. newscast. Alicia's role on the 4 is basically to present the "Headline Blitz" (a short rundown of headlines) standing up nearish the weather center, and to present some of the more fluffy stuff, and that usually involves pulling out tweets over at the Big Board. Hence the nickname.

I don't think the 5pm needs a big board girl, unless there is some serious ratings trouble at 5pm. I think WPVI has gotten too top-heavy with anchors as it is. They have nine separate anchors, ten with this new hire, on weekdays. More when you count weekends.

Also, I need to invoke something like the "ABC does not buy stations" rule:

Jim Gardner is not retiring, and has absolutely no plans to. Unless 6's ratings plummet, he will continue to anchor solo. WHEN he retires, we'll know WELL in advance.

I mean, every channel 6 thread seems to devolve into "when is Jim Gardner retiring"/"will he have a co-anchor"/"who will replace him". 6ABC is one of the strongest local stations in the country. That 6pm chair is Jim Gardner's as long as he wants it or is physically able to. Just like Peter Jennings had his chair right up until his death.

If you don't like what 6 is doing, there are three other methods of getting your news and information. Two of them, I would argue, are better choices than 6 right now. I prefer 10's 4pm news to 6's 4pm. They're doing different newscasts, I know, but 10 goes top-heavy with content and reporting (20 straight minutes) on their 4pm. They get to their first break when 6 is on its third. And I think Fox 29 has started doing a halfway-decent newscast while nobody was looking.

If by "popular" you mean "using it fifty times each broadcast for no particular reason", then yes, it's popular. 3, 10, and (I think?) 29 have touch-tech as well, and they run much better interfaces than what 6's software runs on, but 6 is the one who will use it every. damn. newscast. Alicia's role on the 4 is basically to present the "Headline Blitz" (a short rundown of headlines) standing up nearish the weather center, and to present some of the more fluffy stuff, and that usually involves pulling out tweets over at the Big Board. Hence the nickname.

I don't think the 5pm needs a big board girl, unless there is some serious ratings trouble at 5pm. I think WPVI has gotten too top-heavy with anchors as it is. They have nine separate anchors, ten with this new hire, on weekdays. More when you count weekends.

Also, I need to invoke something like the "ABC does not buy stations" rule:

Jim Gardner is not retiring, and has absolutely no plans to. Unless 6's ratings plummet, he will continue to anchor solo. WHEN he retires, we'll know WELL in advance.

I mean, every channel 6 thread seems to devolve into "when is Jim Gardner retiring"/"will he have a co-anchor"/"who will replace him". 6ABC is one of the strongest local stations in the country. That 6pm chair is Jim Gardner's as long as he wants it or is physically able to. Just like Peter Jennings had his chair right up until his death.

If you don't like what 6 is doing, there are three other methods of getting your news and information. Two of them, I would argue, are better choices than 6 right now. I prefer 10's 4pm news to 6's 4pm. They're doing different newscasts, I know, but 10 goes top-heavy with content and reporting (20 straight minutes) on their 4pm. They get to their first break when 6 is on its third. And I think Fox 29 has started doing a halfway-decent newscast while nobody was looking.

I agree that 6 has a lot of anchors. But also, consider the fact that they probably have more newscasts than they ever had with the addition of the 4 PM newscast and the 10 PM. In my opinion, the addition of Sharrie Williams for the 5 will make the amount of moving parts very crowded. The opening is going to be a mouthful to introduce "Action News... Delaware Valley's Leading News Program, with Jaime Apody, Meteorologist Cecily Tynan, Sharrie Williams, Rick Williams, and Monica Malpass." Also, adding a contributing anchor would make the 5 more of a fast-paced newscast.

I think with the rise of Brian Taff, the new additions in 6, and the retirement of Rob Jennings, it was hard to not think about how there might be a time in the future where it won't be "Action News at 6 and 11 with Jim Gardner." He's past his 35 years right? Anyways, his retirement will not only be known well in advance, it will probably be the grandest send-off in Philly TV News history.

Trust me. If Jim Gardner was leaving the station next week, we WOULD know. It would make the front pages of every newspaper in the region. It'd be on every media website.

You keep saying we'll know well in advance when Jim retires. We're lucky if we know a month in advance. The only thing we can do is pull apart signs we might think are preparations before he does retire. We are not going to be told a year before he leaves that he is leaving. Sorry, just not gonna happen. And again, why you keep saying, "he isn't retiring and has no plans to," is beyond me because unless you are his best friend or close coworker, you have no idea.

You can say that he seems fit and is likely not being pushed out but you can not say for a fact he has no plans to retire. He vary well may not have plans to, but you can not say for sure, so please don't.

Publicly, he is not retiring but he could vary well be planning to in 6 months or a year, etc.... All I am saying is we don't know either way. I am not saying he is planning to retire, I am just saying we don't know, so don't say it as if it is set in stone.

They actually brand the 6 and 11 newscasts as "Action News with Jim Gardner". The only other newscasts that have the "with " part are the evening newscasts and the late night shows.

I'm not disputing he is a vital part of the 6abc team. He IS Action News at 6&11.

Well if you take Eva Pilgrim for example. She was hired as a reporter & weekend anchor, but outside fill ins she didn't start anchoring until Rob Jennings retired. So its safe to assume 6abc knew Jennings was retiring soon when they hired Eva....yet she was hired about 6 months before Rob made his retirement public.

I think when Jim does retire, we will get a nice 3 to 6 month warning, but indeed he will most likely let his bosses know in further advance. I don't think Jim is retiring yet (although seeing most of his colleagues he worked with thru the 80's, 90's & 00's retire or pass away is probably making him think about it), and i'm sure ch6 will do its best to try and change his mind if he does want to retire.

• 1 month later...

Sharrie made her first appearance on Action News at 5:30 today. I'm still not really sure of her purpose - all she did was provide a detailed report about the Ukraine crisis - something that a national ABC correspondent would have probably otherwise done.

Of course there was some witty banter about having the same last name as Rick...

• 3 months later...

Archived