New 5 p.m. Anchor at WPVI

Daybreak

Puzzling outright. Rick and Monica earned that spot. No idea why they'd change or add to that. Don't think it's gonna be 5pm despite what this says. Maybe weekend if they've decided to go with a team.

This is surprising to say the least, I wonder what is going to happen to Monica. Maybe she will just move back to noon and Sarah will permanently move to weekend evenings. I doubt that they would demote or get rid of Monica so I assume that she wanted less work and if this is the case then Rick and Monica will still anchor together.

This is surprising to say the least, I wonder what is going to happen to Monica. Maybe she will just move back to noon and Sarah will permanently move to weekend evenings. I doubt that they would demote or get rid of Monica so I assume that she wanted less work and if this is the case then Rick and Monica will still anchor together.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give Jim a co-anchor.

I wonder if the short term plan is:

Mornings: Matt & Tamala

Noon: Rick & Sharrie

4pm: Brian & Shirleen

5pm: Rick & Sharrie

6pm: Jim & Monica

10pm: Brian & Shirleen

11pm: Jim & Monica

Weekends 6pm & 11pm: Walter and Sarah

Weekend Mornings: Eva & Nydia

Brian would take Jim's spot at 6pm once Jim retires, and Rick would take Jim's 11pm spot.

But honestly, they did not need to hire a new anchor to have a succession plan. They could have had Shirleen co-anchor at 6pm, and Monica at 11pm, and then have Brian take over at 6pm once Jim retires, and Rick the 11pm once Jim retires. Give Matt & Tamala the Noon news.

I wonder if the short term plan is:

Mornings: Matt & Tamala

Noon: Rick & Sharrie

4pm: Brian & Shirleen

5pm: Rick & Sharrie

6pm: Jim & Monica

10pm: Brian & Shirleen

11pm: Jim & Monica

Weekends 6pm & 11pm: Walter and Sarah

Weekend Mornings: Eva & Nydia

Brian would take Jim's spot at 6pm once Jim retires, and Rick would take Jim's 11pm spot.

But honestly, they did not need to hire a new anchor to have a succession plan. They could have had Shirleen co-anchor at 6pm, and Monica at 11pm, and then have Brian take over at 6pm once Jim retires, and Rick the 11pm once Jim retires. Give Matt & Tamala the Noon news.

With this hire, I think this is exactly what will happen.

Could the new 5pm news team consist of Monica & Sharrie?

Is WPVI mimicking WABC"s popular 5pm anchor duo "Diana Williams & Sade Baderinwa"?

I'm intrigued as to why they just didn't give Shirleen the 5pm seat...interesting, Maybe it has something to do with contracts.

There's too many questions. A few are...

*Has Jim given 6 officials his notice that he's just about ready to retire? And if so, are ready to replace him with 2 anchors or 1 solo?

*Is 6 about to go with 2 anchors all around? Since they didn't pair JIm with Lisa Thomas-Laury, why not the next most popular female anchor at the station?

*Is this a temp thing while one of their anchors is on maternity leave?

*Is this a panic move to compete with 10?

Just speculation, fun speculation, until we actually hear what's going on. I expect to hear something soon I think.

There's too many questions. A few are...

*Has Jim given 6 officials his notice that he's just about ready to retire? And if so, are ready to replace him with 2 anchors or 1 solo?

*Is 6 about to go with 2 anchors all around? Since they didn't pair JIm with Lisa Thomas-Laury, why not the next most popular female anchor at the station?

*Is this a temp thing while one of their anchors is on maternity leave?

*Is this a panic move to compete with 10?

Just speculation, fun speculation, until we actually hear what's going on. I expect to hear something soon I think.

Precisely. We don't really know anything yet. Frankly, I don't think the station really wanted this bit of news to be know just yet.

Besides, I really just wanted a reason to use this in an appropriate context...

180179-family-guy-herbert-gif.gif

The only thing I can think of would be a 3pm Action News. Which would be complete overkill but they really don't have anything else to replace Katie with.

Other than that I have no clue. Breaking up or adding to the Rick and Monica team would be suicide. And I don't think Jim has any plans of going away anytime soon. (And I would not be shocked if his contract specifies that he anchors solo.)

So calm down, everyone.

...this is why I want to figure out how to get access to nielsens...

And I don't think Jim has any plans of going away anytime soon.

I'm sorry but that is a total assumption on your part. He could very well be leaving next week and we don't know...

Breaking up or adding to the Rick and Monica team would be suicide.

Well if the articles are true, one of these is happening.

The only thing I can think of would be a 3pm Action News.

I enjoy the 4pm news but 3pm would be way overkill.

WPVI and WABC should join and create a local program that isn't news and air it at both stations.

Nothing against Action News but it is about time that they change some stuff up. The station is outdated (everything screams 70s) but it has worked for the time until recently when NBC 10 began to catch up to them and they squirmed to change things around. I wouldn't mind if Monica joined Jim and I'd hope he isn't such a diva that he couldn't share his seat with a woman.

I'm sorry but that is a total assumption on your part. He could very well be leaving next week and we don't know...

Trust me. If Jim Gardner was leaving the station next week, we WOULD know. It would make the front pages of every newspaper in the region. It'd be on every media website.

They actually brand the 6 and 11 newscasts as "Action News with Jim Gardner". The only other newscasts that have the "with " part are the evening newscasts and the late night shows.

Well if the articles are true, one of these is happening.

We're basing reports off of one tweet and one report. The last ratings period they issued a press release for (last year) stated that almost a third of households watched their 5pm. Rick and Monica are an incredibly successful duo.

I enjoy the 4pm news but 3pm would be way overkill.

I agree - 3pm news would be too much. But as I said, the ABC O&Os don't have anything to replace it with, at least not for this coming season. And obviously ABC can't take back the 3pm hour.

Here's the honest answer:

We don't know how the stations are doing.

We don't have a local reporter who can get the ratings books and see the overall trends. The Inquirer and Daily News stopped covering local TV years ago. The ratings reports that we get come from press releases, which are inherently biased.

As I've stated, I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE NIELSENS. I just don't know how, and how much it'd cost me!

Archived