ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

If I may add my two cents for this (wow, I haven't used this in a long time):

1. I loved World News Tonight when I was a kid, especially when Peter Jennings was at the desk (and because Channel 6 was the place to be in my family from 4-8). The name was iconic and recognizable, the theme was commanding and astounding (and also iconic), and Peter's reign was astonishing, breathtaking and cool (using the network letters for the words; and yes, iconic too.) so I'm so happy the "Tonight" part of the name has returned to give the iconic name it's return.
  2. The logo looks great with it. I used to hate it because of the unrecognizable and strange thing behind the name that's used on the desk. The "Tonight" part in the name actually makes it look better.
  3. I've watched David Muir anchor before. I think he'll do very well as main anchor. and...
  4. I'm using the open as my wallpaper soon (if not now).

A few things:

Amy did the briefing this afternoon in a Special Report, So, I still don't understand how the Special Reports fit in with the new deal. I thought it was only for Davivd and George. Or, can any anchor from GMA/ WNT/WNN do them?

As for the new WNT opens: I'm shocked that ABC News would leak/post it online for the world to see before they debut it on air!

WNT came back less than 15min ago The music sounded a little different for the ABC News ID however, the rest of the open sounded like the same music. The graphics are the same, but with the WNT title . Amy mentioned that David will be back on "World News" on Monday so, I don't know what that means for WNT.

A few things:

Amy did the briefing this afternoon in a Special Report, So, I still don't understand how the Special Reports fit in with the new deal. I thought it was only for Davivd and George. Or, can any anchor from GMA/ WNT/WNN do them?

As for the new WNT opens: I'm shocked that ABC News would leak/post it online for the world to see before they debut it on air!

WNT came back less than 15min ago The music sounded a little different for the ABC News ID however, the rest of the open sounded like the same music. The graphics are the same, but with the WNT title . Amy mentioned that David will be back on "World News" on Monday so, I don't know what that means for WNT.

It wasn't by ABC News, it was by ABC's visual design wing. They regularly upload videos on Vimeo of what they have designed days or hours before it airs on the main network, almost similar to what NBC ArtWorks does - except they, ABC's visual design wing, doesn't upload a full on intro of their flagship morning program without the background so it could be keyed in using video editing software. Heck, I even did it myself.

It's clear that the rename to "World News Tonight" was a last-minute decision. Those titles are clearly for "World News with David Muir", and it's obvious "Tonight" was edited into the titles at the very last minute. (I'm also not 100% sure, but one of the shots still has "DIANE" at least in the shadows under "DAVID"... or it's a Diane image that they didn't bother to re-render.)

ABC switched up executive producers, so I wonder if the move back to "Tonight" was one of the first things the new EP did.

It wasn't by ABC News, it was by ABC's visual design wing. They regularly upload videos on Vimeo of what they have designed days or hours before it airs on the main network, almost similar to what NBC ArtWorks does - except they, ABC's visual design wing, doesn't upload a full on intro of their flagship morning program without the background so it could be keyed in using video editing software. Heck, I even did it myself.

I follow NBC Artworks on Vimeo and never saw any un keyed Today Show opened.

A few things:

George will do the most special Special Reports, election night coverage, political conventions, breaking news coverage. In the case of breaking news, if George isn't in the building expect Muir or another anchor to begin the coverage until they can get George in.

Today's Special Report featuring a normal Presidential presser wasn't that important especially since Obama has done so many in the last couple of weeks. But if this was a primetime address, I would expect George to be right there at the center of the helm.

Lester Holt and Maurice DuBois, Williams and Pelley's lead substitutes also anchored today's special report which tells you the importance of today's presser at the WH. It was important enough to break in to the schedule at 4pm but not important enough to bring in the top dogs because nothing major occurred.

I'm not singling you out, and I apologize if this comes across as a little confrontational, I can assure it's not meant in such a way, but...

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Back in the day, Peter or Charlie (Diane's not a good example) anchored WNT. They were, perhaps by default as dictated by their predecessors, the chief anchors of the network. When the big stories broke, they were the guys the bosses wanted in the chair. They were the faces of the news division, and in some way, all of ABC. However, they weren't there every time the special report siren sounded. They got weekends off, and Lord knows they had plenty of vacation time. In that instance, someone like a Woodruff, Vargas, Harris, or Stephanopoulos would come to bat. While the head honchos preferred to see the big bananas at the desk, it was never possible for them to be there EVERY TIME. Look at 9/11, for example. Gibson and Sawyer, being on the air, handled coverage for about thirty minutes while Jennings got ready to take over. Maybe he wasn't in the office yet. Maybe he was sleeping. Maybe he was brushing his teeth. Maybe he was at an aerobics class. The only thing that ultimately matters is that they report the news, and work hard to get the product (and sooner or later the anchor) to the airwaves.

What happened today was a POTUS news conference. They're a dime a dozen, and while the material may be important, it's not a make or break for any network. Sawyer hung it up on Wednesday, Muir isn't supposed to start til Monday, and Stephanopoulos is probably going out of town, and not about to delay his 4 day weekend.

George will do 90% of special reports, and like 99.9% of big events, but he's not going to always be on the hook to come in just because a politician sneezed. Sawyer wasn't. Gibson wasn't. Not even Jennings wasn't. So, why should George? He is the chief anchor for the network, but he anchors the morning show. That's all there is to it.

That should really clear that up, I would think.

I'm not singling you out, and I apologize if this comes across as a little confrontational, I can assure it's not meant in such a way, but...

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Back in the day, Peter or Charlie (Diane's not a good example) anchored WNT. They were, perhaps by default as dictated by their predecessors, the chief anchors of the network. When the big stories broke, they were the guys the bosses wanted in the chair. They were the faces of the news division, and in some way, all of ABC. However, they weren't there every time the special report siren sounded. They got weekends off, and Lord knows they had plenty of vacation time. In that instance, someone like a Woodruff, Vargas, Harris, or Stephanopoulos would come to bat. While the head honchos preferred to see the big bananas at the desk, it was never possible for them to be there EVERY TIME. Look at 9/11, for example. Gibson and Sawyer, being on the air, handled coverage for about thirty minutes while Jennings got ready to take over. Maybe he wasn't in the office yet. Maybe he was sleeping. Maybe he was brushing his teeth. Maybe he was at an aerobics class. The only thing that ultimately matters is that they report the news, and work hard to get the product (and sooner or later the anchor) to the airwaves.

What happened today was a POTUS news conference. They're a dime a dozen, and while the material may be important, it's not a make or break for any network. Sawyer hung it up on Wednesday, Muir isn't supposed to start til Monday, and Stephanopoulos is probably going out of town, and not about to delay his 4 day weekend.

George will do 90% of special reports, and like 99.9% of big events, but he's not going to always be on the hook to come in just because a politician sneezed. Sawyer wasn't. Gibson wasn't. Not even Jennings wasn't. So, why should George? He is the chief anchor for the network, but he anchors the morning show. That's all there is to it.

That should really clear that up, I would think.

Right. Moreover, because Amy was preparing to anchor World News yesterday evening, she was already in the building, on the World News floor, and near the desk.

It's clear that the rename to "World News Tonight" was a last-minute decision. Those titles are clearly for "World News with David Muir", and it's obvious "Tonight" was edited into the titles at the very last minute. (I'm also not 100% sure, but one of the shots still has "DIANE" at least in the shadows under "DAVID"... or it's a Diane image that they didn't bother to re-render.)

ABC switched up executive producers, so I wonder if the move back to "Tonight" was one of the first things the new EP did.

Either the EP, or David, or James Goldston. If you read about the new EP's background, it sounds like he's got a pretty strong hard-news background, so maybe he's fond of the Jennings-era broadcast.

I truly can't believe there're doing all of this. Between the name change, that promo with the past anchors, etc, I have some high hopes for WNTwo.0. Changes aren't going to be immediate, but I'm excited to see how the program content evolves over the next year or two.

Or, maybe I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid...so, sue me.

I truly can't believe there're doing all of this. Between the name change, that promo with the past anchors, etc, I have some high hopes for WNTwo.0. Changes aren't going to be immediate, but I'm excited to see how the program content evolves over the next year or two.

In interviews, David often mentions how Peter Jennings inspired him. I wouldn't be surprised if WNT goes back a little to the Jennings days.

The promo was ok, just ok. It had way to much apology for Diane Sawyers fluff written all over it and it was too long without really getting good. If they bring the old music back and a reasonable graphics package we can talk.