ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

This is a general thread to discuss ABC World News.

I'll start it off by saying I find it very odd that during sweeps Diane would be on and off. She has been in and out for the past 2 weeks with David and George filling in.

This is a general thread to discuss ABC World News.

I'll start it off by saying I find it very odd that during sweeps Diane would be on and off. She has been in and out for the past 2 weeks with David and George filling in.

I see her more days than not...

...well, when I'm watching 6 and I forget to change the tuner to CBS World News Tonight With Scott Pelley. (ABC World News has no world news, so I'm not calling it that out of respect to Peter. Good Evening America is what they air at 6:30pm.)

(ABC World News has no world news, so I'm not calling it that out of respect to Peter. Good Evening America is what they air at 6:30pm.)

I'm just gonna say for anyone else who will want to start talking about this again, there is a thread on this in, "Network News", lets not turn this thread into that again.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/12966-abc-world-news-fluff/page-2

I will say though, I enjoy ABC's Good Evening America.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

David is anchoring today. Rather than starting with the big screen behind him, they used the other desk angle with the TVs behind him. In face, the big screen wasn't seen at all tonight. I wonder if they are doing some studio updates for David's move to the WN anchor desk.

Seeing how little Sawyer's broadcast uses the screen (now screens), this is definitely an investment in Muir.

Completely agree. Nearly every time David anchors, they start with something on the screen(s). This is certainly for David. Could also help 20/20.

I am hoping they remove the newsroom parts of the set on the sides though. I am not a huge fan of that. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more updates to the set over the next month before David takes over. Hoping for a new desk too. The current one just doesn't seem to fit with the set anymore.

But love the new screen!

Well, I was right (sorry to be so blatant). They got a new screen behind the anchor desk. You can see it on my twitter account, @BehindNYNews. Very nice!

Haven't seen it on TV yet but judging from the pics it looks great! Reminds me of the last set that Peter anchored from. They should bring back the circular anchor desk, too.

There are 2 questions that continue to be on my mind. I wonder when Diane will be leaving and when we will find out who replaces David on the weekend.

Could it be like when Ginger left weekend GMA and they will have rotating anchors for a while and eventually choose one or will they choose one in September?

In regards to the desk, absolutely. Up until the new monitor wall tonight, the Nightline/Weekend GMA side of the set was certainly the best looking part of the room.

Is there any specific reason why they don't use Time Square for weekend GMA?

ABC News has to put quarters in the meter at Times Square every hour they use the studio.

Call me crazy but I would want my morning show to broadcast on the weekend from a tourist trap

like Time Square rather than at Rockefeller Center where you could draw a much bigger crowd than during the weekday.

I don't necessarily remember GMA Weekend utilizing the outside aspect of the Time Square studies much. In fact they rarely broadcast from the downstairs portion so it's not like they necessarily are missing the studios on the weekends.

What do you mean? GMA broadcasts from the downstairs portion of the Times Square studio and GMA Weekend broadcasts from ABC HQ.

What do you mean? GMA broadcasts from the downstairs portion of the Times Square studio and GMA Weekend broadcasts from ABC HQ.

During the time that Weekend GMA was last broadcast from Time Square (October 2010) the set was almost exclusively the second floor and the first floor was designed as a subway station used for indoor concerts which was abandoned in January 2011 as a cost saving measure. Oddly they moved back downstairs exclusively in September 2011. The upstairs portion, aka the Marquee Studio, is now used for ESPN2's Olbermann but is available for rent.

While I was searching for this information I learned that while Disney owns the building but ABC News has to lease the space out, which explains why they may not want to use Time Square during the weekend, especially if they have to pay for off hours access. You would think the rent would be non existent through vertical integration. This makes me wonder if the key staff and hosts have offices at both Times Squade and at 77 West 66th.

• 2 weeks later...

Diane did her final "person of the week" segment last night. This either means she will end before next Friday or on Friday, that section of time will be used to celebrate Diane. Either way, it's getting bitter sweet to watch WN with Diane.

Update: a person working for WN tweeted it was Diane's last Friday, so I guess that Thursday will be her last day.