ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

If they changed the name, the theme, OR the graphics, I'd be happy, as I'm just kinda 'meh' on all three.

I'm literally addicted to the current theme, I really hope they don't change it. The name doesn't really matter to me either way. I like the graphics but if they updated it a little, I wouldn't mind.

Well...does the current news theme say "hard evening news"? Not at all. Does it say "Here's the news that will help and affect you"? Certainly. And that appears to be ABC's "mission" if you will, so I think that theme is here to say. Honestly, I like the theme a lot, it's very catchy. Would it fit good on NBC or CBS? NOT. AT ALL.

I'm literally addicted to the current theme, I really hope they don't change it. The name doesn't really matter to me either way. I like the graphics but if they updated it a little, I wouldn't mind.

There's not really much to the current theme compared to the old one. I just listened to both back to back, to my ears the old one is far, far better.

Special Report graphics across all three networks have not changed in at least five years... I disliked the World News graphics from the moment they debuted in 2012... Way too flashy and just poorly designed... Looks too much like an entertainment show's graphics. I'll live with the music and the name if the graphics change.

I still don't understand the mentality behind the theme change. They spent a crapload of money getting a fancy Hollywood composer to write a new score, when they've used DreamArtists across the board for the other programs. Almost every theme DA has done has ranged from decent to fantastic, and I'll bet you that same crapload of dough that they could have composed a solid interpretation of the basic melody that had been a hallmark of the program for nearly 35 (non-consecutive) years.

As for the graphics, the look based off the first Sawyer WN package was okay, but just went in the dumper when the current ones debuted before the Boston coverage. The current show open (the longer version) is beautiful. Everything else is sub-par, and clearly done in-house.

As for the name, I'm wondering if the show is entering a week-long purgatory where the WNT name returns, but using the WN logo design. It makes no sense to come up with a temporary logo incorporating the iconic name, when they could've just made a mock-up without the red byline, leaving only the WN moniker. Just a thought.

As for the name, I'm wondering if the show is entering a week-long purgatory where the WNT name returns, but using the WN logo design. It makes no sense to come up with a temporary logo incorporating the iconic name, when they could've just made a mock-up without the red byline, leaving only the WN moniker. Just a thought.

my Directv guide still has it called "ABC World News with Diane Sawyer" until Monday. Tuesday it changes to "ABC World News with David Muir." I really hope the "tonight" comes back too!

Has anyone else noticed on the ABC News Wikipedia page, under slogans, it has "From ABC News World Headquarters, this is ABC World News with Diane Sawyer" now marked as an old slogan, and it now says "From the Barbara Walters Building, this is ABC World News with David Muir" as the slogan for WN?

The internet proving me right (in my own mind) never fails to amuse me. People still call it 'World News Tonight'.

Did it really happen? For 8 years I have still called the broadcast World News Tonight despite the minor name change and it was seen here on my Facebook. Is the broadcast really going to be known once again as World News Tonight by someone other than me?

I'm calling BS on the 'Walters Building' intro, as it references a time in 2013 when WNDS (sorry, not typing it all) used that intro, but the facility wasn't renamed until this past Spring.

Well folks, sorry about the rapid fire posts, but I'm gaining new info while going around the web... ABC has changed the facebook LINK to world news from "Facebook.com/worldnews" to "Facebook.com/worldnewstonight"

Okay, now this all seems way too nit-picky to be for just a long weekend. It should be noted, however, that the Twitter profile merely dropped Sawyer's name, though I can't confirm that it was tacked on there before...

b4df3d40bbd92531b0f4272fa52c6427.png

Would BehindNYNews be interested in changing the thread name? I'm kidding, but I'm kinda not...

I'm calling BS on the 'Walters Building' intro, as it references a time in 2013 when WNDS (sorry, not typing it all) used that intro, but the facility wasn't renamed until this past Spring.

Okay, now this all seems way too nit-picky to be for just a long weekend. It should be noted, however, that the Twitter profile merely dropped Sawyer's name, though I can't confirm that it was tacked on there before...

Would BehindNYNews be interested in changing the thread name? I'm kidding, but I'm kinda not...

They haven't had her name on the twitter profile picture in over a year... So nothing new there... But a Facebook link change is something meant to be permanent ... For regular business pages, you only get one change...

I agree, and I think that's why there hasn't been a huge promotion of Diane's final broadcast across the network. The transition seems very low-key. The network probably wants to maintain the integrity of the World News brand rather than draw attention to who is anchoring and who is not. David has been filling in so often for Diane that some people probably won't even notice for a while that David has taken over, and I'm sure that's intentional on the part of network execs. ABC doesn't want people to stop watching just because it's the end of Diane's era, which I could see being more likely if they played up the fact that she was leaving the desk. It's going to seem very seemless, I would expect. Again, ABC learning from NBC's mistakes.

Also, it would be different if Diane was leaving the network altogether. It helps that she is remaining at ABC and taking on an elite role. It also helps that she likes the person succeeding her. If she didn't, I'd imagine she would demand more attention to her departure.

I don't know how all of that will affect the graphics package if at all, but I think we will for the most part see the same program for the near future. That may change as the show becomes more David's, and as the new EP takes over.

Well, Diane's final show really proved this true. Whereas anchor departures tend to be look-backs on all the anchor has done and often have show staff come out at the end to applaud or salute the anchor, Diane's final segment really was a celebration of the show and the team that produces it.

I have to comment that I always thought that the name change was stupid to begin with. I know they dropped the "Tonight" because they wanted to let people know that they are available all day online, which is great, but that broadcast only airs in the evening, hence why they should've never gotten rid of the Tonight. They did not change "World News Now" and although they did change "World News This Morning" it is because they changed it to "America this Morning" with the "this morning" remaining.

Hahahaha, done!

...And @abcWNT is already taken.

...But I'm going to follow it, just in case.

It looks like this(https://twitter.com/abcWNT) is a dummy account. Theres no tweets and they have very little followers. Not sure if ABC has the account as the profile claims but I'm sure ABC could get the handle. If i recall correctly, CNN did the same thing when they start "@ This Hour"

It looks like this(https://twitter.com/abcWNT) is a dummy account. Theres no tweets and they have very little followers. Not sure if ABC has the account as the profile claims but I'm sure ABC could get the handle. If i recall correctly, CNN did the same thing when they start "@ This Hour"

Maybe they're just "parking" the account?

BREAKING: Just found the new open and voice over for when David starts via the ABC Broadcast Graphics vimeo page: http://vimeo.com/104624794

I also found one that just says, "World News Tonight" which will probably be used tonight and for the weekends till a replacement is announced.: http://vimeo.com/104624795

Heres the old one with Diane for comparison: http://vimeo.com/51151557

I guess its now confirmed that they are changing the name but are keeping the graphics for now.