ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Something I've noticed on WNT as well as NNN. After the synagogue shooting in Albany, NY, none of the networks had time to send their reporters there as it happened so close to their broadcasts. Instead of presenting the stories from the newsroom or studio, ABC had a reporter standing on some unspecified street with a heavily blurred background and a locator graphic marked "New York". 

image.jpeg.9b86851dc57227249a7f9530864a1bee.jpeg

At least the background on NBC was more visible and the reporter is infront of what looks like a synagogue --- which they didn't bother to specify.

image.jpeg.d0f47b5fef0ccb62c94cf798d5fe7db5.jpeg

It's perfectly acceptable to stand in front of a synagogue in Manhattan to talk about anti-semetic incidents across the country. But to have the background be indecipherable and ambiguously  labeled "New York", without specificity for state vs city gives an almost deceptive sense of presence.

I like the "portrait mode" effect, but it defeats the purpose of a live shot if the audience cannot see what you are standing in front of. Nothing to die over, small critique.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

The whole concept of a live shot is deceptive 99% of the time. A reporter is “live” somewhere hours after the actual news event has occurred. Nothing newsworthy is shown to the viewer in a live shot. All the newsworthy content is shown in the prepackaged report with footage from hours ago. 

Whether they are live at the scene, on a generic street outside the studio, or at a place somewhat related to the location of the news story, the whole concept gives a deceptive sense of presence and urgency. 

• Like 3
  • Thought-Provoking 1

7 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

The whole concept of a live shot is deceptive 99% of the time. A reporter is “live” somewhere hours after the actual news event has occurred. Nothing newsworthy is shown to the viewer in a live shot. All the newsworthy content is shown in the prepackaged report with footage from hours ago. 

Whether they are live at the scene, on a generic street outside the studio, or at a place somewhat related to the location of the news story, the whole concept gives a deceptive sense of presence and urgency. 

Personally, live shots are only necessary when there are visual elements to seen, details to a story that are still developing, or when an event happens so close to a broadcast that there is little time to assemble a package.

Big market stations especially love to have a reporter standing at an already wrapped up story at night where the scene is barely visible. 

In an era where we watch news on our own time rather than live tv, the impact of going live for live sake becomes dulled. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Something I've noticed on WNT as well as NNN. After the synagogue shooting in Albany, NY, none of the networks had time to send their reporters there as it happened so close to their broadcasts. Instead of presenting the stories from the newsroom or studio, ABC had a reporter standing on some unspecified street with a heavily blurred background and a locator graphic marked "New York". 

image.jpeg.9b86851dc57227249a7f9530864a1bee.jpeg

At least the background on NBC was more visible and the reporter is infront of what looks like a synagogue --- which they didn't bother to specify.

image.jpeg.d0f47b5fef0ccb62c94cf798d5fe7db5.jpeg

It's perfectly acceptable to stand in front of a synagogue in Manhattan to talk about anti-semetic incidents across the country. But to have the background be indecipherable and ambiguously  labeled "New York", without specificity for state vs city gives an almost deceptive sense of presence.

I like the "portrait mode" effect, but it defeats the purpose of a live shot if the audience cannot see what you are standing in front of. Nothing to die over, small critique.

Going to play devil's advocate here. I have seen these type of graphics before. I feel that ABC News was trying to convey that the correspondent was reporting out of the ABC News "New York" bureau/HQ. I don't think it was meant to be misleading.

• Like 6
  • Thought-Provoking 1

5 hours ago, FiveNews said:

Going to play devil's advocate here. I have seen these type of graphics before. I feel that ABC News was trying to convey that the correspondent was reporting out of the ABC News "New York" bureau/HQ. I don't think it was meant to be misleading.

Fair point. 

Screenshot_20231210_155622_YouTube.jpg

Similarly, Somara is live in NJ for a story about storm threats in the south. Phil Lipoff is live from some -- again -- undisclosed street in NY for a story about anti semitism in Pennsylvania. I get "presence" but it feels nonsensical to do these elaborate field live shots from locations unrelated to the story/topic. I haven't seen this on the local level.

Screenshot_20231210_160414_YouTube.jpg

Edited by MediaZone4K

They clearly find this to be a better way of doing the debrief/anchor toss that used to be exclusively at the anchor desk, which is largely saved for stories that benefit from some anchor-reporter crosstalk. They're never saying that the reporter is actually at the site of the story. Can't help it if a viewer is dumb enough to not understand the difference.

It's really not that complicated.

• Like 4

"New York" refers to the city, not the state. It is the style of most news organizations not to put the state after a large city. 

I agree that it does seem weird to have a reporter standing outside in Manhattan to do a live shot on something that happened in Albany if there is no tie-in to the location. Like you suggested, they could say "we're outside a synagogue here in New York, where security has been beefed up after what happened in Albany." But I don't think they were trying to imply New York City = New York State = Albany, NY.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

They're never saying that the reporter is actually at the site of the story.

??? The entire purpose of a reporter doing an outdoor stand up is to have them at the scene or a related location.

On local news you don't see a reporter standing on a random street in the Bronx in front of nothing to talk about a shooting on Long Island. 

48 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

"New York" refers to the city, not the state. It is the style of most news organizations not to put the state after a large city. 

I agree that it does seem weird to have a reporter standing outside in Manhattan to do a live shot on something that happened in Albany if there is no tie-in to the location. Like you suggested, they could say "we're outside a synagogue here in New York, where security has been beefed up after what happened in Albany." But I don't think they were trying to imply New York City = New York State = Albany, NY.

Exactly.

The NY thing is my cynicism getting the better of me but they could have thrown "Upstate" into the lower third.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mountainave said:

It's not new.  WNT has had correspondents doing live shots on West 67th St or Columbus Ave outside of ABC for years. 

BUT DAVID MUIR IS THE DEVIL! IT MUST BE HIS FAULT! The show was completely perfect and flawless with Diane Sawyer!

Remember, David is also responsible for CBS's anchor instability, Nightly's shitty graphics, Fox's abuse lawsuits, CNN's inability to create a watchable morning show, NewsNation's non-existent ratings, and he destroyed the documents that prove Brian Williams was on that helicopter.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, 24994J said:

BUT DAVID MUIR IS THE DEVIL! IT MUST BE HIS FAULT! The show was completely perfect and flawless with Diane Sawyer!

Remember, David is also responsible for CBS's anchor instability, Nightly's shitty graphics, Fox's abuse lawsuits, CNN's inability to create a watchable morning show, NewsNation's non-existent ratings, and he destroyed the documents that prove Brian Williams was on that helicopter.

Who here is saying any of those things?

56 minutes ago, mountainave said:

It's not new.  WNT has had correspondents doing live shots on West 67th St or Columbus Ave outside of ABC for years. 

In your personal opinion, does doing that add anything to the broadcast? In the same way, if WABC did a live shot from Columbus Ave to talk about a shooting in Newark would that make sense to you?

Edited by MediaZone4K

4 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

??? The entire purpose of a reporter doing an outdoor stand up is to have them at the scene or a related location.

On local news you don't see a reporter standing on a random street in the Bronx in front of nothing to talk about a shooting on Long Island.  Exactly.

I would argue that it's the equivalent of being in studio/the newsroom, but instead, they're outside. For example, WFLD has often had reporters right outside the studio doing standups instead of 'at the scene' or in studio. I want to say WMAQ has done the same over the years (i.e.. having someone live right outside the NBC Tower). It's not as uncommon as it may seem. 

At the end of the day, what's important is that the news/stories these reporters are reporting on is accurate, true, informative, etc.. and not necessarily where/what place they are saying it from.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2