ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

I had a feeling if George were to have left the network over this dispute, which would be a big loss for ABC, I said he go to CBS be the now that I think of it anchor of politics. If Nora has that role intact, he have a critical role in politics. Though he could co-anchor Face The Nation. But the CBS Zirinsky is a feminist so maybe not, 60 minutes would be like a demotion.

Yeah but she ascended to the World News Tonight chair too fast.

9 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Agreed! Plus, special events like the Inauguration or the Election, they can co-anchor. 

Tom is okay but I doubt he'll give CBS the rise it needs. Heck the only person I see at CBS with has the "presence" to be lead anchor is Ted Koppel, lol. If only he were younger and up to it! If he didn't retire in '05 he would have been a solid replacement on WNT instead of Vargas and Woodruff. 

Speaking of Elizabeth Vargas, I always thought she had a good personality for mornings. I saw her co-anchor on a 90s Thanksgiving Edition of "Today' and she was pretty solid. 

Generally neither two males or two females co-anchor special coverage for the networks. Tom most likely won’t. Ted Koppel, Leslie Stahl or Jane Pauley. Ted could always do it for two years. He’s only 2 years older than Joe Biden. I think he announced he was leaving ABC after a falling out days before the late Peter Jennings announced that he had lung cancer. Talk about terrible timing. If no such announcement had taken place after Peter announced that he had lung cancer perhaps he could have taken over for him. He would have had the opportunity to anchor WNT and he would have been good for the ratings. It would have been a win-win. Bob and Elizabeth were not ready to anchor WNT at the time and then Charlie and Diane could have both remained at GMA. At 65 he could have anchored for 10-11 years and then a suitable replacement could have taken over. I agree. Elizabeth should have replaced Joan Lunden on GMA in 1997. I think she would have done well. Apparently she was considered to co-host the Early Show on CBS in 1999. I also thought she and not Ann should have replaced Meredith on the Today Show in 2011. I thought she was good was mornings and Ann was better for evenings. That’s another example of bad timing. Ann announced she was leaving NBC weeks before the scandal with Brian happened. Had that not been the case she could have taken over for him. In fact NBC probably should have given her and not Brian the weekend job way back in 1993. That would have been better for NBC in the long term although hindsight is 20/20.

12 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Generally neither two males or two females co-anchor special coverage for the networks. Tom most likely won’t. Ted Koppel, Leslie Stahl or Jane Pauley. Ted could always do it for two years. He’s only 2 years older than Joe Biden. I think he announced he was leaving ABC after a falling out days before the late Peter Jennings announced that he had lung cancer. Talk about terrible timing. If no such announcement had taken place after Peter announced that he had lung cancer perhaps he could have taken over for him. He would have had the opportunity to anchor WNT and he would have been good for the ratings. It would have been a win-win. Bob and Elizabeth were not ready to anchor WNT at the time and then Charlie and Diane could have both remained at GMA. At 65 he could have anchored for 10-11 years and then a suitable replacement could have taken over. I agree. Elizabeth should have replaced Joan Lunden on GMA in 1997. I think she would have done well. Apparently she was considered to co-host the Early Show on CBS in 1999. I also thought she and not Ann should have replaced Meredith on the Today Show in 2011. I thought she was good was mornings and Ann was better for evenings. That’s another example of bad timing. Ann announced she was leaving NBC weeks before the scandal with Brian happened. Had that not been the case she could have taken over for him. In fact NBC probably should have given her and not Brian the weekend job way back in 1993. That would have been better for NBC in the long term although hindsight is 20/20.

Good Lord, what? Can we remain on the topic of WNT, or at least not on half a dozen topics?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 24994J said:

Good Lord, what? Can we remain on the topic of WNT, or at least not on half a dozen topics?

Well how Ted would have been a good anchor for WNT is on topic. The rest we can agree can be discussed elsewhere. Anyhow I expect David and George to both remain where they are for a very long time. That’s most likely why Tom left ABC. He likely knew that he would not be taking over for either of them anytime soon.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, Gavin said:

...Carol Simpson in the 1980s until 2003. When she was unfairly latinolized by the terrible Elizabeth Vargas....

18 hours ago, Gavin said:

No he locked-in too well with NBCU News Group president Cesar Conde!!! You know that "hermano" connection.

Do I need to actually spell this out, or does putting these two posts together speak for itself?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mountainave said:

Do I need to actually spell this out, or does putting these two posts together speak for itself?

Why do you ask, TVNT my merge my post.

16 hours ago, 24994J said:

Nobody's complaining about the formatting.

Well I don't see anything wrong, first comment to highlighted is a quote from a sentence. So if your trying to make my grammar look bad nice try, two I have an opinion nothing seems wrong here.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Well I don't see anything wrong, first comment to highlighted is a quote from a sentence. So if your trying to make my grammar look bad nice try, two I have an opinion nothing seems wrong here.

That's okay.  I will point it out for you. 

You claimed that Elizabeth Vargas got her job because of her race ("...[Simpson was] unfairly latinolized by the terrible Elizabeth Vargas")

And you then claimed Tom Llamas got his job because of his race ("...you know that 'hermano' connection...")

Has the thought crossed your mind that perhaps they got their jobs because they are both qualified and talented?

I will grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was unintentional, but it is otherwise suggestive of either casual or overt racism.

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

50 minutes ago, mountainave said:

That's okay.  I will point it out for you. 

You claimed that Elizabeth Vargas got her job because of her race ("...[Simpson was] unfairly latinolized by the terrible Elizabeth Vargas")

And you then claimed Tom Llamas got his job because of his race ("...you know that 'hermano' connection...")

Has the thought crossed your mind that perhaps they got their jobs because they are both qualified and talented?

I will grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was unintentional, but it is otherwise suggestive of either casual or overt racism.

Also what information do you have that Varags was terrible to Simpson?

52 minutes ago, Gavin said:

[Quotation removed]

What are you even talking about? Everything you’re saying is entirely speculative and should be put into the speculation thread rather than stated here as fact. Racial disparities are present in American media but when you have an issue with it you can engage in respectful discourse and in an appropriate setting - you CANNOT use terms like “latinize” or refer to an “hermano” connection without understanding the microaggression in those statements. One of the more unqualified broadcasters is a lead anchor of the top rated morning program in this country resulting in diminished roles for the other qualified talents and would you ever be ok with someone referring to his ascension as a “brotha” connection? As a black man as well, I would find it to be entirely offensive. Correct yourself.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 1

Speaking as a moderator...

The most recent racially inflammatory stations have been hidden, and will not be tolerated. It is no secret that diversity and representation has been a delicate subject in news broadcasting for decades, but it's entirely out of line to diminish someone's ethnic background because they don't look [blank] enough. Throwing out accusations of racism based mostly on speculation is also highly inappropriate for this forum.

End of discussion, and consider this a public warning.

2 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The most recent racially inflammatory stations have been hidden, and will not be tolerated. It is no secret that diversity and representation has been a delicate subject in news broadcasting for decades, but it's entirely out of line to diminish someone's ethnic background because they don't look [blank] enough. Throwing out accusations of racism based mostly on speculation is also highly inappropriate for this forum.

It not accusations it observations, but you totally missed the point. But end of discussion.

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Also I don’t think it’s fair to slander Elizabeth Vargas here without any proof to back up the claims made against her. She’s still a person after all. None of us would like if that happened with us.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

See, I'm not sure sure that the purple and orange are being phased out. They seem to be using the blue and red version for political special reports. Messy, I know, but Biden's speech last week wasn't the first time they were used. Maybe not the exact layout and use, but these could be easily adapted into new lower thirds for WNT.

Edited by 24994J

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 11:20 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

It's also why stations should immediately air the local newscast at the end of the network newscast instead of another ad break. More adverts after the end of the network feed allows people to wonder away from broadcast programming to cable.

And when I grew up, I remember (at least once) seeing WSOC's Eyewitness News evening edition ending, and then going right to Peter Jennings in New York on WNT (a reverse version of what you're saying).

23 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

And when I grew up, I remember (at least once) seeing WSOC's Eyewitness News evening edition ending, and then going right to Peter Jennings in New York on WNT (a reverse version of what you're saying).

That's exactly what I'm insinuating!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 2:05 PM, MorningNews said:

Evening newscast ratings are crushing back to life. Muir’s newscast has lost about 2 million viewers so far this year although he still leads the competition. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Pandemic winding down playing a role as people find other things to do?