ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They dwelled on Tiger Woods a little much last night. Why do we need a rehash of the guys last win at the Masters and how everybody felt about it that lasted almost as long as the original report? The other issue is revealing so much in the teaser they are literally repeating themselves word for word in the newscast. I’ve been watching some of the old ABC newscasts lately and this kind of sloppy stuff sticks out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 6

On 2/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, ns8401 said:

They dwelled on Tiger Woods a little much last night. Why do we need a rehash of the guys last win at the Masters and how everybody felt about it that lasted almost as long as the original report? The other issue is revealing so much in the teaser they are literally repeating themselves word for word in the newscast. I’ve been watching some of the old ABC newscasts lately and this kind of sloppy stuff sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Tagging off of this regarding GMA , but I thought GMA's super this morning of "Tiger Breaks His Silence" was a bit off key given how horrendously his legs were crushed. Any other cliche newsspeak lower would have been better.

Edited by MidwestTV
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Not surprising that the tensions have lingered, but I'll be damned if they keep finding ways to make it all work.

And no one needs to reiterate their confusion over the "Chief Anchor" role, like the dead horse that is. It's really not complicated, and spelled out in this story.

• Like 1

Crazy! I was just tinking about Matt Gutman's previous suspension when I saw him reporting on the Tiger Woods crash.

Lester is pretty solid as anchor of Nightly News, David Muir is pretty good too (ABC News however....). The only Evening News anchor I see could being unseated in the near future is Nora O'Donnell, not that CBS has anyone better at the moment.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Could see this tension from a mile away. At the time of the 2014 negotiation, GMA was the flagship brand gaining steam while WNT was falling behind. I’ve grown to really admire George on GMA but honestly he and David Muir are better suited for each other’s programs than their own. David to me seems to be playing the role of serious anchor but it’s hardly believable.

Besides that point, George is just a better breaking news anchor than David seems to be. I don’t like this development but David is pulling 10M viewers a night, he can ask for whatever he wants. I personally can’t see him leading election or political coverage, that will be an easy switch to Lester imo.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

All I am going to say is that George should have saw this coming a while ago. Even if George was the better "serious" anchor, it wasn't realistic for him to continue being their  "Chief Anchor," when David, (like him or not) is number 1 in the evening. It was rather confusing how he would come in late in the evening when David was already their whenever breaking news occurred. I could see the last few months David did not like taking a back seat during breaking news to George. 

Also, I do find it curious what rival network would he gone??? I would've advise him take a look at the careers of Josh Elliott, Sam Champion, and Bill Weir. George is good but I don't know if he would fair out like Chris Cuomo (in a sticky situation now), Jake Tapper and Kate Snow which took some time for them to pop at their respective networks. Lowkey now I wondering did this also weighed in as to why Tom Llamas left?!? 

• Like 2

George got a contract extension, pay raise and production company out of the deal. I'm sure he knew this was coming but complained about it as a negotiating tactic, knowing ABC wanted him to stay, and he seems to have made out pretty well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daybreak said:

All I am going to say is that George should have saw this coming a while ago. Even if George was the better "serious" anchor, it wasn't realistic for him to continue being their  "Chief Anchor," when David, (like him or not) is number 1 in the evening. It was rather confusing how he would come in late in the evening when David was already their whenever breaking news occurred. I could see the last few months David did not like taking a back seat during breaking news to George. 

Also, I do find it curious what rival network would he gone??? I would've advise him take a look at the careers of Josh Elliott, Sam Champion, and Bill Weir. George is good but I don't know if he would fair out like Chris Cuomo (in a sticky situation now), Jake Tapper and Kate Snow which took some time for them to pop at their respective networks. Lowkey now I wondering did this also weighed in as to why Tom Llamas left?!? 

Yeah, I feel like this was probably a contributing factor for Tom Llamas to leave, there's not really much growth if he was aiming to be leading anchor on the weekday line-up in the near future. On GMA, it seems like T.J Holmes will be primed to take over GMA at this point, especially since he was added to GMA3 and he and Robach seem to be the future of the franchise. In the evening, Muir will most likely be anchoring for another decade or two as long as the ratings are strong.  I do wonder if NBC has offered Tom Llamas a role on Today, like on the third hour?

Overall, do you guys think that ABC News will force David and George to do something together just to show the public that they're civil and friendly? Or will this just be one of those things that the network won't really speak about in public kinda like drunk Diane Sawyer from 2012. 

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Crazy! I was just tinking about Matt Gutman's previous suspension when I saw him reporting on the Tiger Woods crash.

Lester is pretty solid as anchor of Nightly News, David Muir is pretty good too (ABC News however....). The only Evening News anchor I see could being unseated in the near future is Nora O'Donnell, not that CBS has anyone better at the moment.

I don’t think this would happen but it would be something if TL was headed to CBS and not NBC and he ends up anchoring the CBS Evening News.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I don’t think this would happen but it would be something if TL was headed to CBS and not NBC and he ends up anchoring the CBS Evening News.

Speaking of CBS- Could have been the "rival network" that was spoke of... If George thought all along he should have had WNT and not Muir, and saw an opportunity at getting the chair at CBSEN to try to start and win a rivalry?

6 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I’ve grown to really admire George on GMA but honestly he and David Muir are better suited for each other’s programs than their own.

Besides that point, George is just a better breaking news anchor than David seems to be. I don’t like this development but David is pulling 10M viewers a night, he can ask for whatever he wants.

I'm inclined to agree! David Muir has a personality that can shift from the "seriousness" and breaking news to the fluffy crap of GMA. George is more stiff. He's good at hard news, breaking coverage and politics. But yes, it does seem odd to have George come in to anchor coverage in the afternoon when David is there, then alternate weekends on This Week. I'm surprised they don't co-anchor coverage of events like Lester and Savannah do on NBC. 

Hypothetically, if they wanted to compromise George and David could do a dual head anchorship like Huntley/Brinkley. They could split duties like the early days of WNT where George would cover politics and international news and David covers the U.S. and the fluff. As you pointed out David brings in the numbers so I wouldn't mess with that. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

Honestly, the breaking news should be handled by whoever is in studio at that moment. Anything up until 1:30ish should be George and everything after should be David. I also feel that they should be each other’s primary backups on their respective programs.

There were rumors CBS was courting George when the last shakeup happened there.

As for Chris, I feel his career has gone downhill since going to CNN and particularly when he moved to nights.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Honestly, the breaking news should be handled by whoever is in studio at that moment. Anything up until 1:30ish should be George and everything after should be David. I also feel that they should be each other’s primary backups on their respective programs.

Agreed! Plus, special events like the Inauguration or the Election, they can co-anchor. 

1 hour ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Tom is okay but I doubt he'll give CBS the rise it needs. Heck the only person I see at CBS with has the "presence" to be lead anchor is Ted Koppel, lol. If only he were younger and up to it! If he didn't retire in '05 he would have been a solid replacement on WNT instead of Vargas and Woodruff. 

On 1/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, Gavin said:

When she was unfairly latinolized by the terrible Elizabeth Vargas. 

Speaking of Elizabeth Vargas, I always thought she had a good personality for mornings. I saw her co-anchor on a 90s Thanksgiving Edition of "Today' and she was pretty solid. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

There were rumors CBS was courting George when the last shakeup happened there.

I had a feeling if George were to have left the network over this dispute, which would be a big loss for ABC, I said he go to CBS be the now that I think of it anchor of politics. If Nora has that role intact, he have a critical role in politics. Though he could co-anchor Face The Nation. But the CBS Zirinsky is a feminist so maybe not, 60 minutes would be like a demotion.

3 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Speaking of Elizabeth Vargas, I always thought she had a good personality for mornings. I saw her co-anchor on a 90s Thanksgiving Edition of "Today' and she was pretty solid. 

Yeah but she ascended to the World News Tonight chair too fast.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

Speaking of CBS- Could have been the "rival network" that was spoke of... If George thought all along he should have had WNT and not Muir, and saw an opportunity at getting the chair at CBSEN to try to start and win a rivalry?

That would have made sense. I don’t see George leaving ABC for Cable and I don’t see NBC offering him a main slot on Today or Nightly News. MAYBE Meet the Press although I think it’s more likely he was offered the CBSEN. It would be tempting to go as he wanted to take over for Diane on WNT in 2014 and have a chance to anchor an evening newscast something he’s wanted to do at least since 2009 when Charles Gibson stepped down from anchoring WNT. Apparently he also wanted George to take over for him over Diane. I’ll have to find the source for that when I get a chance. As for Tom my guess is that he’s heading to NBC although it would be interesting if he shocked all

of us and went to CBS instead.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

That would have made sense. I don’t see George leaving ABC for Cable and I don’t see NBC offering him a main slot on Today or Nightly News. MAYBE Meet the Press although I think it’s more likely he was offered the CBSEN. It would be tempting to go as he wanted to take over for Diane on WNT in 2014 and have a chance to anchor an evening newscast something he’s wanted to do at least since 2009 when Charles Gibson stepped down from anchoring WNT. Apparently he also wanted George to take over for him over Diane. I’ll have to find the source for that when I get a chance. As for Tom my guess is that he’s heading to NBC although it would be interesting if he shocked all

of us and went to CBS instead.

No he locked-in too well with NBCU News Group president Cesar Conde!!! You know that "hermano" connection.

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

No he locked-in too well with NBCU News Group president Cesar Conde!!! You know that "hermano" connection.

?

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

I had a feeling if George were to have left the network over this dispute, which would be a big loss for ABC, I said he go to CBS be the now that I think of it anchor of politics. If Nora has that role intact, he have a critical role in politics. Though he could co-anchor Face The Nation. But the CBS Zirinsky is a feminist so maybe not, 60 minutes would be like a demotion.

Yeah but she ascended to the World News Tonight chair too fast.

I think George was either offered CBSEN or he never was really leaving ABC at all. Yes she did. She would have been better off if Charlie or Diane took over for Peter right away and then she may have had the job once they retired.