ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

George, Martha Raddatz, and (more recently) Jonathan Karl have rotated This Week hosting duties for several years now. Love George but it’s ridiculous for him to host GMA daily, This Week twice a month and then also lead all breaking news events. Martha and Jon are certainly capable of handling This Week.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, Drew said:

I thought I read somewhere George, Martha and Jonathan would start rotating sundays like what jake tapper and dana bash are doing. 

20/20 no one has been anchoring that broadcast in moths Especially since they have been doing the 2 hour shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they slowly remove permanent anchors from 20/20 and whoever is the correspondent for that broadcast anchor kinda like 48 Hours

Funny that this was mentioned and for the first time in a long time Amy and David anchored tonight’s show.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Yeah, I noticed that too. 😆

I’d be curious to why ABC wouldn’t offer Tom David’s spot on 20/20 just to keep him at ABC if they didn’t.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, MorningNews said:

George, Martha Raddatz, and (more recently) Jonathan Karl have rotated This Week hosting duties for several years now. Love George but it’s ridiculous for him to host GMA daily, This Week twice a month and then also lead all breaking news events. Martha and Jon are certainly capable of handling This Week.

I don’t even see why it’s George and not David who anchors breaking news coverage. I never understood not having the evening news anchor be the lead anchor for braking news.

1 minute ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I’d be curious to why ABC wouldn’t offer Tom David’s spot on 20/20 just to keep him at ABC if they didn’t.

I don’t even see why it’s George and not David who anchors breaking news coverage. I never understood not having the evening news anchor be the lead anchor for braking news.

ABC also could have put Tom on Nightline. I’m real curious as to why he’s leaving for NBC presuming that’s an accurate report that he is in-fact leaving ABC for NBC 

1 minute ago, Liugrad2020 said:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:

I believe it was his consolation prize for not being given the WNT anchor role after Diane Sawyer left. He was heavily rumored to want the position and reluctantly made the move to GMA in 2009 as part of his ascension to the anchor chair. George handles breaking coverage absolutely brilliantly - he’s always calm and commanding, David doesn’t have that ability in my opinion. Further, we’ve all witnessed a bit of a shift at ABC in the mid-late 2010s in which GMA became ABC’s priority. Obviously that’s changed back with the commanding performance of WNT in the last 2 years, so maybe David takes those responsibilities in the next round of contract negotiations. With his broadcast holding ~2M viewer lead of the competition, ABC will give him anything he asks.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I believe it was his consolation prize for not being given the WNT anchor role after Diane Sawyer left. He was heavily rumored to want the position and reluctantly made the move to GMA in 2009 as part of his ascension to the anchor chair. George handles breaking coverage absolutely brilliantly - he’s always calm and commanding, David doesn’t have that ability in my opinion. Further, we’ve all witnessed a bit of a shift at ABC in the mid-late 2010s in which GMA became ABC’s priority. Obviously that’s changed back with the commanding performance of WNT in the last 2 years, so maybe David takes those responsibilities in the next round of contract negotiations. With his broadcast holding ~2M viewer lead of the competition, ABC will give him anything he asks.

I believe GMA was at the top of their game at the time Diane was retiring, and they had just lost Sam and were in the process of losing Josh, so it was important to keep some stability on GMA to maintain the momentum. Ultimately I think it was the right decision and I believe George handles breaking news better. I kind of wish George would sub on WNT when David is off sometimes. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Liugrad2020 said:
On 1/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, MorningNews said:

I don't either I think the breaking news roles, should be split. Because When Biden made remarks on the day state capitals certified there state electoral votes David should've done that special report. He had just did that World News at 6:30. Then cut in 7:30 he should've done the special report. With George in the mornings he has to be rushed from his place down to the uptown headquarters. I think they only did it cause they felt bad about passing over George for World News Tonight Anchor and managing editor job, so they gave him that thought I felt David would get it he did deserve and earn it.

He good with breaking news, but David is too.

Do you think GMA would be ok with George if he left or retired?

21 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I don't either I think the breaking news roles, should be split. Because When Biden made remarks on the day state capitals certified there state electoral votes David should've done that special report. He had just did that World News at 6:30. Then cut in 7:30 he should've done the special report. With George in the mornings he has to be rushed from his place down to the uptown headquarters. I think they only did it cause they felt bad about passing over George for World News Tonight Anchor and managing editor job, so they gave him that thought I felt David would get it he did deserve and earn it.

He good with breaking news, but David is too.

It’s one thing to have George anchor election coverage. It’s a whole other thing to have him come in to anchor a special report at 730 in the evening.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Do you think GMA would be ok with George if he left or retired?

It’s one thing to have George anchor election coverage. It’s a whole other thing to have him come in to anchor a special report at 730 in the evening.

Yes I agree, would be a waste of time it made since after the Capitol riots cause he was there since 1pm and so it made sense to do the prime time coverage from 8pm-11pm after showing Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune to it ABC Owned Station like my ABC Owned Station in Raleigh. And during the moment in prime time Trump was impeached the first time. But doing the Parkland Coverage, and the New York Truck Attack that could have been done by David. Cause he's nightside dude.

Edited by Gavin

11 hours ago, Gavin said:

Yes I agree, would be a waste of time it made since after the Capitol riots cause he was there since 1pm and so it made sense to do the prime time coverage from 8pm-11pm after showing Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune to it ABC Owned Station like my ABC Owned Station in Raleigh. And during the moment in prime time Trump was impeached the first time. But doing the Parkland Coverage, and the New York Truck Attack that could have been done by David. Cause he's nightside dude.

Exactly. There’s no need to bring George in when David is already there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

FTC live reported has the internal memo that Tom is leaving and tonight is his last night anchoring. 

One wonders if Tom Llamas will take a brief 30 seconds out of the broadcast today to say goodbye and thank viewers (but obviously not say where he's headed). I'd be surprised if he didn't do that.....

1 hour ago, J1975am said:

One wonders if Tom Llamas will take a brief 30 seconds out of the broadcast today to say goodbye and thank viewers (but obviously not say where he's headed). I'd be surprised if he didn't do that.....

He just ended the broadcast with his goodbye!!!

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I assume Whit will do double duty on GMA and WNT on the weekends now?

Whit is probably not a shoe-in for the role, ultimately.  ABC is under pressure to not appoint another white man to anchor a broadcast, between the racial reckoning over the summer broadly and the Barbara Fedida catastrophe specifically.  Expect to see Whit fill-in, yes, but also expect to see a rotating cast of sit-ins including Amy Robach, Linsey Davis, Cecilia Vega, and Rebecca Jarvis. 

Less likely but also possible includes TJ Holmes, Gio Benitez, Byron Pitts, and Dan Harris.

Edited by mountainave

Best of luck to both of them.

The Deadline article also mentions that:

• Linsey Davis will continue to anchor ABC News Live Prime Monday-Thursday; Fridays will have rotating anchors.
  • Whit Johnson will continue to co-anchor GMA Weekend (similar to how Lester Holt did both Weekend Today and Weekend Nightly News).
Edited by ddaniels20
  • Like 2