ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

14 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Very interesting and I wonder what exactly NBC has lined up for him. He should be very careful. Just ask Josh Elliott. Elliott had a lot of pushback from the Today show club and wasn't actually utilized well on NBC Sports

Didn't Elliott go to NBC (News/Sports) in the first place because he wanted George Stephanopoulos' job and more money on GMA (ABC balked at both but he was given a slightly higher paycheck) then jumped ship? He also wanted a high position on Today (probably Matt Lauer's job) and NBC balked. He was lucky to basically get paid to do nothing while at NBC Sports. He never learned to be patient while staying in his own lane.

All Llamas should do is do what he's given, do it well and not be a prima donna; he should be fine and grow from there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Didn't Elliott go to NBC (News/Sports) in the first place because he wanted George Stephanopoulos' job and more money on GMA (ABC balked at both but he was given a slightly higher paycheck) then jumped ship? He also wanted a high position on Today (probably Matt Lauer's job) and NBC balked. He was lucky to basically get paid to do nothing while at NBC Sports. He never learned to be patient while staying in his own lane.

All Llamas should do is do what he's given, do it well and not be a prima donna; he should be fine and grow from there.

Yeah, for the press, Elliott made it seem like wanted to go back to sports, but that never made sense to me since he could have always gone back to ESPN if that was what he was truly saying. If I remember correctly, the executive producer of the Today show (Horowitz) at that time came from ESPN and he was in the midst of redoing the Today show from the ground up and had hoped to put Elliott somewhere in there. Lauer and his minions got word on the situation and revolted to the point that Elliott wasn't really welcomed to Studio 1A and nixed the Today show revamp. NBC Sports didn't really give him much to do and he left soon-after. 

I can see Llamas utilizing his talents for Telemnudo as well and creating content for both English and Spanish networks, but I do wonder if he is gunning for Nightly News when the time comes for Holt to retire.

It's surprising to me that ABC wouldn't bump Muir off 20/20 and open the role for another anchor, simply as a talent retention tool.  But I assume the case is that Muir enjoys retaining the 20/20 anchor role in addition to his WNT duties, if for no other reason than money and/or visibility.

1 hour ago, newsbot said:

Exactly. Brokaw was only an occasional contributor, and his last commentary was prerecorded.

Good point. So I guess Brokaw really is not in the best of health. Otherwise he likely would have contributed to NBC’s election coverage. After all he didn’t have to go very far. It does seem like his finals days are approaching sadly.

1 minute ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Good point. So I guess Brokaw really is not in the best of health. Otherwise he likely would have contributed to NBC’s election coverage. After all he didn’t have to go very far. It does seem like his finals days are approaching sadly.

JFC, goodness.

1 hour ago, mountainave said:

It's surprising to me that ABC wouldn't bump Muir off 20/20 and open the role for another anchor, simply as a talent retention tool.  But I assume the case is that Muir enjoys retaining the 20/20 anchor role in addition to his WNT duties, if for no other reason than money and/or visibility.

It's the same issue with Stephanopoulos double dipping with GMA and This Week. ABC would have been able to keep Jake Tapper if they gave him This Week all those years ago. 

20/20 is pretty much a shell of its former self and is no longer the multi-topical format that gave us segments like 'Give Me a Break', does anyone really host the current show? Seems like the Friday program became a 2-hour crime docuseries, I don't think Muir or Robach even introduce the story. Looking at the ratings, it looks like the crime series is working. At this point, ABC should give 20/20 another timeslot, like Wednesdays, 10/9c; none of their scripted programming is working at that time period and they would be better off utilizing to talent and resources of ABC News and possibly have a standard newsmagazine format in rotation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

It's the same issue with Stephanopoulos double dipping with GMA and This Week. ABC would have been able to keep Jake Tapper if they gave him This Week all those years ago. 

20/20 is pretty much a shell of its former self and is no longer the multi-topical format that gave us segments like 'Give Me a Break', does anyone really host the current show? Seems like the Friday program became a 2-hour crime docuseries, I don't think Muir or Robach even introduce the story. Looking at the ratings, it looks like the crime series is working. At this point, ABC should give 20/20 another timeslot, like Wednesdays, 10/9c; none of their scripted programming is working at that time period and they would be better off utilizing to talent and resources of ABC News and possibly have a standard newsmagazine format in rotation. 

That’s right. The plan was for George to leave This Week when he was appointed to anchor GMA.  For some reason, ABC passed over Tapper and hired Christiane Amanpour to helm This Week. The ratings tanked, Amanpour was dismissed, and ABC passed over Tapper a second time asking George to take the show back. 

Re: 20/2, yeah, they seem to have taken the 48 hours and Dateline approach, and that’s what draws eyeballs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mountainave said:

That’s right. The plan was for George to leave This Week when he was appointed to anchor GMA.  For some reason, ABC passed over Tapper and hired Christiane Amanpour to helm This Week. The ratings tanked, Amanpour was dismissed, and ABC passed over Tapper a second time asking George to take the show back. 

Re: 20/2, yeah, they seem to have taken the 48 hours and Dateline approach, and that’s what draws eyeballs. 

Apparently Jonathan Karl is going to co-host this week. Does anyone know who he’s taking over for? As for 20/20 I wonder why Robach and Muir would even want to host that program in addition to their other duties at the network.

12 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Apparently Jonathan Karl is going to co-host this week. Does anyone know who he’s taking over for? As for 20/20 I wonder why Robach and Muir would even want to host that program in addition to their other duties at the network.

I thought I read somewhere George, Martha and Jonathan would start rotating sundays like what jake tapper and dana bash are doing. 

20/20 no one has been anchoring that broadcast in moths Especially since they have been doing the 2 hour shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they slowly remove permanent anchors from 20/20 and whoever is the correspondent for that broadcast anchor kinda like 48 Hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I thought I read somewhere George, Martha and Jonathan would start rotating sundays like what jake tapper and dana bash are doing. 

20/20 no one has been anchoring that broadcast in moths Especially since they have been doing the 2 hour shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if they slowly remove permanent anchors from 20/20 and whoever is the correspondent for that broadcast anchor kinda like 48 Hours

Interesting to have three people rotating on This Week. I haven’t watched in a while. That’s a possibility and the same may happen with Dateline NBC someday as well.

I don't know that Karl's formal role of the This Week cycle will steal any of George's time. Martha could be looking to return to more foreign reporting, special projects, or, at almost 68, maybe even take a bit of a break, and scale back her duties.

Edited by 24994J

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I don't know that Karl's formal role of the This Week cycle will steal any of George's time. Martha could be looking to return to more foreign reporting, special projects, or, at almost 68, maybe even take a bit of a break, and scale back her duties.

Possibly. It’s hard to believe they will rotate between 3 hosts in the long term.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:45 PM, Roadrunner said:

Make of this what you will but this is a place for scoops and discussion, after all:

I choose to believe Yashar since he tends to drop things he can vouch for.

But this is an interesting development, nonetheless. Yashar mentioned that David Muir is not going anywhere and that is very evidently true, so then it is fair to understand maybe why Tom is leaving. I just didn't think his time would come so soon, especially since NBC has its own case of bloat. Timing-wise, this scoop comes after ABC's chief political analyst Matthew Dowd announced his departure roughly two weeks ago, so I'm wondering what's to come in the pipeline. As for Tom, some tweeted that Whit and/or Linsey would make for good replacements for him and I concur. 

Maybe Tom can take over for Brian Williams as the lead anchor at MSNBC.

16 minutes ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Maybe Tom can take over for Brian Williams as the lead anchor at MSNBC.

Brian Williams has been with NBC since the 90s he has a following and he isn't going anywhere. His 11pm show either wins it time slot or he neck -to neck

with Don Lemon.  BriWi isn't going anywhere.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Breaking News said:

Brian Williams has been with NBC since the 90s he has a following and he isn't going anywhere. His 11pm show either wins it time slot or he neck -to neck

with Don Lemon.  BriWi isn't going anywhere.

Nah I can see Tom Llamas being maybe weekend anchor on Sundays, he respect Jose-Diaz Balart to much to replace him on Saturdays, and maybe maybe get a show on the network maybe afternoons to compete against GMA3 on ABC. That's Depends on Network programming and yes some Telemundo collaboration if he's fluent in Spanish, Like Morgan Radford is.

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

Nah I can see Tom Llamas being maybe weekend anchor on Sundays, he respect Jose-Diaz Balart to much to replace him on Saturdays, and maybe maybe get a show on the network maybe afternoons to compete against GMA3 on ABC. That's Depends on Network programming and yes some Telemundo collaboration if he's fluent in Spanish, Like Morgan Radford is.

Maybe he can co-host a show with Morgan Radford and Jose-Daiz Balart on weekdays on the network with some Telemundo collaboration as well.

1 hour ago, Liugrad2020 said:

Maybe he can co-host a show with Morgan Radford.

And anchor Nightly News on Sundays and Kate Snow could take over on Dateline.

2 hours ago, mountainave said:

Jon Karl is launching a new interview show on ABC News Live, but I’ve not seen any reporting that he’s also joining This Week permanently. 

I saw he was going to be a co-host of this week.

Edited by Liugrad2020