ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

On 10/24/2020 at 1:00 AM, 24994J said:

A whopping 16 months.

This first open, from August 5, 1996, appears to be the launch of the new theme, and the old open being used well into July certainly backs that up. The second open is from January 12, 1998, and that's when they hit the factory reset, restoring order. Peter references the changes at the top of the show.

That explains why I hadn’t seen it. My earliest recollection of watching it appears to start with the 1998 format. I was 8 at the time so I’m sure I saw some older shows but I don’t remember it if I did. It’s a little eerie how good everything seemed then and the way it’s being presented and comparing that to now... a lot can happen in 20 years I guess...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, Vidifont said:

New idea, Nora does the headlines from Washington and John Dickerson anchors the show from the Broadcast Center.

Somewhat like the old Huntley/Brinkley Report and original Chancellor/Brinkley NBC Nightly News of the 70s?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, MidwestTV said:

Did WNT just update their open? looks different, but I haven't seen their open in quite a while.

Nah just David Muir just wasn't in and there were several big stories tonight news that happened. Because the tease is taped a half-hour early.  There was breaking news in that half-hour after Qusuuem Solemani death and the revenge attacks happened that was after there tease and just second before the show started!!!

I have a bone to pick about ABC World News Tonight:

WHY IS THE BACK HALF SO COMMERCIAL HEAVY?????????

There have been several instances where I tune in at 6:47 PM (Eastern), to find the program at a commercial.  Sometimes I'll have to wait up to 3 minutes before the news is back.  At that point there'll be a short story, then David will say "when we come back..."

This is followed by another 3 minutes of commercials.  Then 1 minute later ... "WHEN WE COME BACK!"  AGAIN!!!!!!

I understand that commercials "pay the bills" but why do you have to go BACK to commercial 1 minute after airing 3 minutes of commercials!  I swear from 6:47 to 7:00 I watched 10 minutes of commercials to 3 minutes of actual news.  Is this time of the evening a "cold" time for TV viewing (or a "hot" time for advertising)?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kdex86 said:

There have been several instances where I tune in at 6:47 PM (Eastern), to find the program at a commercial.  Sometimes I'll have to wait up to 3 minutes before the news is back.  At that point there'll be a short story, then David will say "when we come back..."

This is followed by another 3 minutes of commercials.  Then 1 minute later ... "WHEN WE COME BACK!"  AGAIN!!!!!!

I understand that commercials "pay the bills" but why do you have to go BACK to commercial 1 minute after airing 3 minutes of commercials!  I swear from 6:47 to 7:00 I watched 10 minutes of commercials to 3 minutes of actual news.  Is this time of the evening a "cold" time for TV viewing (or a "hot" time for advertising)?

Because they run no commercials for the first 15+ minutes of the broadcast.

5 hours ago, kdex86 said:

Ratings are measured on the quarter hour (:00, :15, :30, :45). If there is a super block of news from :00-:15, they don't really care how many people stick around for the remaining 15 min. They just need butts in seats and eyeballs glued at those critical times. It's also why news starts a minute or so before the top and bottom of the hour, to make sure you are firmly in content and your audience is locked when the meter clicks.

Edited by alaskanews
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, alaskanews said:

Ratings are measured on the quarter hour (:00, :15, :30, :45). If there is a super block of news from :00-:15, they don't really care how many people stick around for the remaining 15 min. They just need butts in seats and eyeballs glued at those critical times. It's also why news starts a minute or so before the top and bottom of the hour, to make sure you are firmly in content and your audience is locked when the meter clicks.

It's also why stations should immediately air the local newscast at the end of the network newscast instead of another ad break. More adverts after the end of the network feed allows people to wander away from broadcast programming to cable.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mountainave said:

Because they run no commercials for the first 15+ minutes of the broadcast.

Any reason why the ads cannot be evenly spaced out?  Regardless of when they air, it still pays the station's bills.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kdex86 said:

Any reason why the ads cannot be evenly spaced out?  Regardless of when they air, it still pays the station's bills.

because of the reason already posted previously. Ratings are measured in 15 minute increments. If they break within the first 15 minutes, they risk losing viewers and risk a lower rating average... which means less money to pay the bills. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Make of this what you will but this is a place for scoops and discussion, after all:

I choose to believe Yashar since he tends to drop things he can vouch for.

But this is an interesting development, nonetheless. Yashar mentioned that David Muir is not going anywhere and that is very evidently true, so then it is fair to understand maybe why Tom is leaving. I just didn't think his time would come so soon, especially since NBC has its own case of bloat. Timing-wise, this scoop comes after ABC's chief political analyst Matthew Dowd announced his departure roughly two weeks ago, so I'm wondering what's to come in the pipeline. As for Tom, some tweeted that Whit and/or Linsey would make for good replacements for him and I concur. 

Just now, Roadrunner said:

Make of this what you will but this is a place for scoops and discussion, after all:

But this is an interesting development, nonetheless. Yashar mentioned that David Muir is not going anywhere and that is very evidently true, so then it is fair to understand maybe why Tom is leaving. I just didn't think his time would come so soon, especially since NBC has its own case of bloat. Timing-wise, this scoop comes after ABC's chief political analyst Matthew Dowd announced his departure roughly two weeks ago, so I'm wondering what's to come in the pipeline. As for Tom, some tweeted that Whit and/or Linsey would make for good replacements for him and I concur. 

Give it to Lindsey Davis, get it to her she needs it!!! That lol basically really David Muir dreams come true, with the World News Tonight Music Theme back and Peter Jennings weekend counterpart was Carol Simpson in the 1980s until 2003. When she was unfairly latinolized by the terrible Elizabeth Vargas. Carol and Peter Jennings got along together well. And I can see it with David and Lindsay they've known each other for a long time now.

• Like 1

A loss for ABC if it’s true ... but did anyone at ABC really think they’d have a shot at taking David Muir’s WNT seat anytime soon given his relatively young age and high ratings? The seat is his for the next 5-10 years.  

Wish they could offer Tom a spot on Good Morning America, replacing Michael Strahan, or add him as a third anchor or replacement for Muir on 20/20. 

Lindsey Davis should’ve been fired after staging a crime scene live shot a few years ago. Unfortunately her producer was thrown under the bus for something she was obviously complicit with.  

• Like 1

My choices to replace Tom are Dan Harris or Whit Johnson. Both are very serious and calm.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Tom's delivery. A little too theatrical and dramatic for me.

2 minutes ago, wabceyewitness said:

A loss for ABC if it’s true ... but did anyone at ABC really think they’d have a shot at taking David Muir’s WNT seat anytime soon given his relatively young age and high ratings? The seat is his for the next 5-10 years.  

Wish they could offer Tom a spot on Good Morning America, replacing Michael Strahan, or add him as a third anchor or replacement for Muir on 20/20. 

Lindsey Davis should’ve been fired after staging a crime scene live shot a few years ago. Unfortunately her producer was thrown under the bus for something she was obviously complicit with.  

A friend of mine thinks David will be there as long as Walter Cronkite was at CBS. 

• Like 2

Big loss for ABC, though I’m not a huge fan of Tom or his delivery. WNT weekends is about as good as it can get for him at ABC because he’s been woeful at best when filling in on GMA. 

Strongly disagree with whoever suggested he replace Strahan. There are a roster of much better fits in that role than Llamas. I wonder where he lands at NBC? 

12 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

Big loss for ABC, though I’m not a huge fan of Tom or his delivery. WNT weekends is about as good as it can get for him at ABC because he’s been woeful at best when filling in on GMA. 

Strongly disagree with whoever suggested he replace Strahan. There are a roster of much better fits in that role than Llamas. I wonder where he lands at NBC? 

I suggested replacing Strahan just as a possibility, but 100% agree there are many more better fits already on the ABC bench (Amy Robach, TJ Holmes, Whit Johnson) that deserve Strahan’s seat. 

I do wonder what he’ll be doing at NBC News. He was with NBC for 14 years — his entire career — prior to moving to ABC in 2014, so an offer to return already has the “homecoming” incentive. Maybe he’ll be part of MSNBC with some airtime on NBC as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

David Muir could be where he’s at for another 25-30 years. Lester Holt could be another few years away from retirement. This makes sense plus Tom has roots at NBC.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:43 PM, wabceyewitness said:

I suggested replacing Strahan just as a possibility, but 100% agree there are many more better fits already on the ABC bench (Amy Robach, TJ Holmes, Whit Johnson) that deserve Strahan’s seat. 

I do wonder what he’ll be doing at NBC News. He was with NBC for 14 years — his entire career — prior to moving to ABC in 2014, so an offer to return already has the “homecoming” incentive. Maybe he’ll be part of MSNBC with some airtime on NBC as well. 

Very interesting and I wonder what exactly NBC has lined up for him. He should be very careful. Just ask Josh Elliott and Sam Champion, both were promised to be featured across all their platforms when they moved to the NBCUniversal family. Elliott had a lot of pushback from the Today show club and wasn't actually utilized well on NBC Sports while Champion sort of flopped with his own morning show at The Weather Channel.  I understand the idea of wanting a new challenge and professional growth, but Llamas had a really great role and had great visibility at ABC News.  

Edited by tvtime07
  • Like 5

Obviously we don’t know what his ambitions and desires are, but I have to agree with your cautious warning. The weekend anchor role at ABC is a pretty big deal, not sure that NBC at this point can offer him more than that. As the Variety article mentioned, maybe he’s attracted to the wide range of NBCU assets he can be featured on but is a spot on MSNBC better than Weekend anchor and chief national correspondent?

Ahhhh the Sam Champion / Josh Elliott departure saga, crazy to think that was already 7 years ago. Elliott demanded to replace George as terms for him staying. Didn’t work out for either of them or NBC as GMA has remained on top.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

Very interesting and I wonder what exactly NBC has lined up for him. He should be very careful. Just ask Josh Elliott and Sam Champion, both were promised to be featured across all their platforms when they moved to the NBCUniversal family. Elliott had a lot of pushback from the Today show club and wasn't actually utilized well on NBC Sports while Champion sort of flopped with his own morning show at The Weather Channel.  I understand the idea of wanting a new challenge and professional growth, but Llamas had a really great role and had great visibility at ABC News.  

Perhaps this is why Tom Brokaw is being let go to make room for Tom Liamas.