ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

Good to see some melody back it's a missed branding opportunity for so many shows to use unintrusive music. Would be nice to see GMA bring back the hamlisch signature when things go back to being more lifestyle oriented.

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, MorningNews said:

The nearly 20 minute A-block has been in place since the start of COVID-19 at least. 

If I was an advertiser I would be cautious.. there must be some drop off in viewers from the extended teaser... “well I guess that’s the news on to something else!”.. and then 2 or 3 17.575 second stories with 2 minutes of commercials between each...

Clearly this is working in the ratings but it almost feels like a waste of time to not just run 6 minutes of ads after that 18 minute block. Maybe with everything going on in the world and how little attention they can give to things this argues Strongly for a full hour long newscast.

20 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I agree, but ABC probably won't change anything.

Not until ratings tank... don’t hold your breath. 

“Breaking As We Come On The Air Tonight!! That girl, dunking her chicken nuggets in what she thought was ketchup, that moment she realized it was blood, horrified onlookers calling the police. And later that moment that everyone realized that I learned to talk like this from William Shatner, the story, that Will warm. your heart.”

Whatever happened to anchoring like they used to do? It’s not like talking conversationally is THAT hard. I don’t know a single person that speaks like David Muir. Nobody. It can be distracting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

“Breaking As We Come On The Air Tonight!! That girl, dunking her chicken nuggets in what she thought was ketchup, that moment she realized it was blood, horrified onlookers calling the police. And later that moment that everyone realized that I learned to talk like this from William Shatner, the story, that Will warm. your heart.”

Whatever happened to anchoring like they used to do? It’s not like talking conversationally is THAT hard. I don’t know a single person that speaks like David Muir. Nobody. It can be distracting.

As soon as the ratings go down, something may change.

As much as how David speaks dramatically, I think Tom Llamas is even more dramatic and always sounds like he's doing a Shatner impression. Even his facial looks on the air aren't natural. I wish they brought Dan Harris back to weekends, or even give Whit Johnson a chance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

As soon as the ratings go down, something may change.

As much as how David speaks dramatically, I think Tom Llamas is even more dramatic and always sounds like he's doing a Shatner impression. Even his facial looks on the air aren't natural. I wish they brought Dan Harris back to weekends, or even give Whit Johnson a chance.

11 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Whit and Cecilia seem to be the common backups on weekends and after Tom on weekdays. I actually enjoy Dan on GMA weekend and don’t think he’s best suited for evenings.

And I feel like you guys are in the minority here. People are tuning in so people do like David and Tom’s style of delivery. 

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

So is David’s role solely to anchor WNT AND 20/20? George led this morning coverage of RBG’s service and Tom Llamas is anchoring the Breyona Taylor special coverage this afternoon. Lester is on NBC.

Well..it could be a # of things (i.e..he could be off today, traveling to KY to anchor coverage from there or simply unavailable for whatever reason). Services for Justice Ginsburg would fall under George’s purview (if I’m not mistaken).

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

So is David’s role solely to anchor WNT AND 20/20? George led this morning coverage of RBG’s service and Tom Llamas is anchoring the Breyona Taylor special coverage this afternoon. Lester is on NBC.

So it’s likely David was off or unavailable as he seems to be George’s backup for chief anchor and breaking news. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, newseider said:

No headlines at all tonight. The open then straight out to the first story.

Noticed that too last Thursday. They must have had a technical glitch too close to air time and dumped the headlines. 

Have been meaning to post this for a while - and not sure if it was mentioned before - but it’s pretty cool that the overnight rerun of WNT on many stations is actually the updated version. For example, WNT on WABC was preempted about 10 minutes in so David Muir could anchor a special report about the president leaving Walter Reed. ABC stuck with special report until the usual end time of WNT on the east coast. 

The WNT that aired on WABC overnight was the updated version for later time zones with updated headlines and a full broadcast, including a report about the president going back to the White House. 

Have also noticed a few times when there would be mistakes on the live east coast that the overnight broadcast on WABC would be a corrected version. 

Edited by wabceyewitness

12 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Noticed that too last Thursday. They must have had a technical glitch too close to air time and dumped the headlines. 

Have been meaning to post this for a while - and not sure if it was mentioned before - but it’s pretty cool that the overnight rerun of WNT on many stations is actually the updated version. For example, WNT on WABC was preempted about 10 minutes in so David Muir could anchor a special report about the president leaving Walter Reed. ABC stuck with special report until the usual end time of WNT on the east coast. 

The WNT that aired on WABC overnight was the updated version for later time zones with updated headlines and a full broadcast, including a report about the president going back to the White House. 

Have also noticed a few times when there would be mistakes on the live east coast that the overnight broadcast on WABC would be a corrected version. 

Yea the same happened at WTVD in Raleigh, I though they were gonna repeat the eastern/central of World News Tonight. With the special report with David Muir possibly cashing a technical ruckus's with all affiliates across the country they didn't they also repeated a World News Tonight from another time zone where it was uninterrupted Presumably the western or mountain time end of the feed. But yes they did that to. And I noticed cause Johnathan Carl live shot was darker that how I knew they just reaired a west coast edition.

On those nights where they dumped the headlines, I'm curious as to how they made up for the extra time.   Did they opt for a long close or do they have some package on standby that they can run at the end?   After all, we're probably looking at a solid two minutes (certainly well more than a minute) for headlines.  That's a lot of time to make up for to avoid coming up short by the end of the show.

9 hours ago, TheRyan said:

On those nights where they dumped the headlines, I'm curious as to how they made up for the extra time.   Did they opt for a long close or do they have some package on standby that they can run at the end?   After all, we're probably looking at a solid two minutes (certainly well more than a minute) for headlines.  That's a lot of time to make up for to avoid coming up short by the end of the show.

When it happened earlier this month, seems like they added in an extra story later in the broadcast and some additional network promos. The first block ended earlier than usual but the newscast itself ended around its usual time with the cold close. 

• Like 1

Silly question:

How long did they use the non-Kalehoff theme and rainbow-ish graphics in the 90’s? Found a newscast from 1997 that uses a theme I’ve never heard before and I wasn’t aware they had gone away from the well known theme for a time. 

Edited by ns8401

12 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Silly question:

How long did they use the non-Kalehoff theme and rainbow-ish graphics in the 90’s? Found a newscast from 1997 that uses a theme I’ve never heard before and I wasn’t aware they had gone away from the well known theme for a time. 

A whopping 16 months.

This first open, from August 5, 1996, appears to be the launch of the new theme, and the old open being used well into July certainly backs that up. The second open is from January 12, 1998, and that's when they hit the factory reset, restoring order. Peter references the changes at the top of the show.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2