ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

2 hours ago, 24994J said:

YES! YES! YEEEEEEAAAASSSSS!!!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! For bringing back that familiar melody (with the ABC News signature of course) from the Peter Jennings era! AND, for getting rid of that Damn Hans Zimmer crap you used since 2012, when Diane Sawyer was at the helm. What a relief and a blessing to hear that Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff theme again.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, ns8401 said:

Is the old Jennings theme just in the open or is it in the teases to commercial and the close as well?

Those long form closes with the old music were incredible.

The modernized mixout of the Jennings theme is in the open/close

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Is the old Jennings theme just in the open or is it in the teases to commercial and the close as well?

Those long form closes with the old music were incredible.

Tonight had the carryover headline cue, but no music was used after the open. The teases to break were very brief, with no theme, graphics, or B-roll.

1 hour ago, newsteam13 said:

YES! YES! YEEEEEEAAAASSSSS!!!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! For bringing back that familiar melody (with the ABC News signature of course) from the Peter Jennings era! AND, for getting rid of that Damn Hans Zimmer crap you used since 2012, when Diane Sawyer was at the helm. What a relief and a blessing to hear that Score Productions/Edd Kalehoff theme again.

Sadly, this doesn't seem like an updated version. Although the audio fidelity may not be good and therefore it betrays me ears, this is in fact the 2002 commission that went unused. Not exactly a modern take. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Sadly, this doesn't seem like an updated version. Although the audio fidelity may not be good and therefore it betrays me ears, this is in fact the 2002 commission that went unused. Not exactly a modern take. 

That's what I was thinking during the original airing this evening. I've heard all those cuts, and it sounded awfully familiar.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I’ve been dreaming of the day they brought back the Jennings-era theme... and am so glad it has finally happened! Love that the voiceover intros the newscast the same way it used to introduce Peter.. “from ABC  News world headquarters in New York...”

another throwback to the Jennings era! :)

I too am glad that ABC brought back the world headquarters phrase  in the open.

What happened to giving the audience the news now? No wait, we'll tell you the stories in 2 minutes, but first this. The producers who produce these

opens have taken it too far. The only broadcast that does it creatively is CBS This Morning with "Your World in 90 Seconds". Everyone

else is just wasting the viewers time. It's old hat and ridiculous.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

After rewatching it a few times it seems that they actually do give quite a bit of information in those 2 1/2 minute opens and I think it’s brilliant. You can learn the basis of the top stories in that intro and then stick around for the intricate details throughout the show.

Maybe this is ABC’s attempt at providing quick updates in our digitally connected world where programs like WNT, NN and EN have not been able to adapt as well to the changing landscape.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

After rewatching it a few times it seems that they actually do give quite a bit of information in those 2 1/2 minute opens and I think it’s brilliant. You can learn the basis of the top stories in that intro and then stick around for the intricate details throughout the show.

Maybe this is ABC’s attempt at providing quick updates in our digitally connected world where programs like WNT, NN and EN have not been able to adapt as well to the changing landscape.

I feel like this only works, though, when it's paired with brief, simple, single-story teases going into a break, such as they did last night. Otherwise, way too much airtime is being taken up on previews, alone. It should be noted that, after the open we've seen, it took another 1:20 for Muir to go through major bullet points of the California fires. That's close to 4 minutes of show before the first correspondent hits the air. That's too dang long.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

I felt like they gave us every story in the newscast in that teaser...

7 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

I felt like they gave us every story in the newscast in that teaser...

Yes, and Nora at CBS bragged at her inauguration that she was proud that the headlines were reduced down in time in

an interview. CBS is now at point where it's worse than ABC. Lead with the lead. Let the reporters tell their stories!

New idea, Nora does the headlines from Washington and John Dickerson anchors the show from the Broadcast Center.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chopper4 said:

Nice open,  but the whole thing is 2 minutes and a half......a little too long if you ask me.  

We could always make it a bit longer:

From ABC News World Headquarters at the Barbara Walters Building on Peter Jennings Way in New York, this is World News Tonight with David Muir!

Edited by mountainave
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Vidifont said:

Yes, and Nora at CBS bragged at her inauguration that she was proud that the headlines were reduced down in time in

an interview. CBS is now at point where it's worse than ABC. Lead with the lead. Let the reporters tell their stories!

New idea, Nora does the headlines from Washington and John Dickerson anchors the show from the Broadcast Center.

How about Norah in Washington and Jeff Glor in New York?

3 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Seems that the longer headlines tease is in favor of shorter, tighter and music-less teases before commercial breaks. 

Also, the A block stretching to about 18 minutes. 

I was about to post the same thing.  I was in my kitchen making dinner at looked at the oven clock at 6:46 and thought, wow!  There hasn't been a commercial yet.

I actually like the long intro thing.  It gives enough details that if I don't want to keep watching, I don't have to, but leaves out some details.  Lately this has been the kind of thing I turn on after my local news (on an independent station) ends and I start messing around with dinner in the kitchen.  I can still see the screen from there and if I hear something interesting that I missed, I rewind the DVR

• Like 3