ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

22 minutes ago, Chopper4 said:

The headline preview at the beginning of the show is way too long...and so overly dramatic..   

And they keep teasing the same upcoming stories too many times, before going to commercial.   It's becoming like Inside Edition.

Agreed. And the “breaking news as we come on the air tonight” has got to stop. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chopper4 said:

The headline preview at the beginning of the show is way too long...and so overly dramatic..   

And they keep teasing the same upcoming stories too many times, before going to commercial.   It's becoming like Inside Edition.

Yeah, I feel like the headlines preview could be cut down to a minute or two. At least it's better than CBS'S "But first, the headlines in 60 seconds" that was used for a few months in Jeff Glor's run.

7 hours ago, RealNews18 said:

Agreed. And the “breaking news as we come on the air tonight” has got to stop. 

I'm really getting tired of the "breaking news as we come on the air" or the "several developing stories" phrases. It sounds somewhat predictable and robotic and got old a couple years ago. I don't remember ABC doing this years ago. As much as I like Muir, I wish he could tone down the dramatic tone when reading the opening headlines. It won't happen though.

6 hours ago, ProButtonPusher said:

Can David whispering “goodnight” and the cold fade to black stop as well, while we are putting in our TVNT requests? 

I'm not a fan of the cold fade. I wish they'd show the outside camera of Times Square and an ending version of the music package. I'm glad NBC and CBS still do this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Breaking as we come on the air tonight" is equivalent to Good Morning America's breaking overnight for every living story which Today has co-opted. It does make the evening news feel like Inside Edition as Chopper4 mentioned earlier.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

I wonder if the ratings are a result of the audience genuinely liking the program, or picking the best out of an unfavorable situation (the situation being modern tv news).

The average non news junkie viewer might not draw comparisons to the Jennings or Cronkite eras of news----so modern WNT may not seem tabloid to them----thus high ratings? IDK. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

I personally can’t stomach much of WNT under Muir’s hand but because he’s been a smashing success (even before COVID-19) I don’t see them changing anything up. We’re still waiting on them to move to a new set that they’ve managed to use for several other programs.

Without a doubt, Lester Holt and NBC are producing the best news product anywhere at 6:30 pm. They blow ABC and CBS out of the water.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, MorningNews said:

I personally can’t stomach much of WNT under Muir’s hand but because he’s been a smashing success (even before COVID-19) I don’t see them changing anything up. We’re still waiting on them to move to a new set that they’ve managed to use for several other programs.

Without a doubt, Lester Holt and NBC are producing the best news product anywhere at 6:30 pm. They blow ABC and CBS out of the water.

ABC won't change anything with WNT as long as it's the #1 in the evening news lineup. Muir is a great anchor who does a great job, but I'm not a big fan of the sometimes overly dramatic presentation. 

Ever since CBS demoted Jeff Glor, I too think Lester and NBC have the best newscast. I also like that NBC now puts the full newscast on Youtube and the Kids Edition of Nightly News is pretty interesting.

• Like 2

Does David Muir even anchor WNT anymore? I watch KABC’s 6pm show and switch over to NBC Nightly News at 6:30. I always chuckle because the anchors “toss” it to David Muir who seems to rarely be there and WNT at 6:30 is really a rebroadcast, so I’m always surprised they don’t seem to know whose in the anchor chair or not. NNN ends sooner than WNT and I flip it back to KABC to watch Jeopardy. I caught the closing of WNT and Llamas said he’d be back again tomorrow. And I agree with above, WNT’s story preview at the top is waaaaay too long. 

• Haha 1

The 2012 theme remains for the headline cue, but gels very well with the GORGEOUS open. All other graphics are the largely the same and 4:3 safe, but they've moved the old desk out of the closest and they're finally on the new set. The environment looks so similar to the old look, the untrained eye wouldn't know it's TV3.

received_1033676570406942.thumb.png.5a746e80c0f1fcf0c5bcf366e79830e0.pngreceived_790598725040186.thumb.png.1094c675bc83a4b046bded8d6a0994c6.pngreceived_818528025557818.thumb.png.a35191e3373e0731fb98085597970f66.pngreceived_840873003113609.thumb.png.550acc983aaf1c145b4bcdabd9c28940.png

received_648898792425078.thumb.png.41aa5cbdcc9d443c367c736e9d3ee328.png

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DMA said:

I get that they're in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mode but the desk really clashes with the rest of the studio design.

Agreed. That updated, more rounded, L-shape desk from the TV3 thread would be much better.

6 minutes ago, Newsjunkie24 said:

I like the new darker logo and set. It has to be not long before there's completely new graphics. They've had the same graphics for nearly 5 years now.

I wouldn't bet on it. I'd like to think the lower thirds within the safe zone, at some point, but I'd bet the rest of the package will hang on for awhile longer.

Edited by 24994J

7 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Agreed. That updated, more rounded, L-shape desk from the TV3 thread would be much better.

I wouldn't bet on it. I'd like to think the lower thirds within the safe zone, at some point, but I'd bet the rest of the package will hang on for awhile longer.

The lower thirds probably might change, but I wouldn't be surprised to see entirely new graphics by next year except the new opening title card return of the old theme. I bet the current package stays intact for the remainder of the year.

I’ve been dreaming of the day they brought back the Jennings-era theme... and am so glad it has finally happened! Love that the voiceover intros the newscast the same way it used to introduce Peter.. “from ABC  News world headquarters in New York...”

1 hour ago, ddaniels20 said:

I noticed how it's now referred to as "World News Tonight" rather than "ABC World News Tonight", as it used to be years ago.

another throwback to the Jennings era! :)

Edited by wabceyewitness
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Nice. So the desk will be moved back and forth for election coverage?

Ideally, it would only need to move for election night. My question is who said let’s add some wood effects to the video panels. That looks horrible.