ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

image.png.e6413c2b3e56525a621721472a6e8b46.png

When I first saw this studio I wasn't a fan. To me it just looked like someone played a game of "how many LED elements can we cram into one space". (Maybe it was the ribbons crisscrossing the ceiling that pushed me over the edge.) The whole thing seemed designed specifically for election coverage but seemed like it would be too over the top for routine coverage. I must admit, based on how TV3 was used for this 20/20 special, that I was wrong. This studio definitely has a visual versatility that ABC lacked in its previous primary news studio. I'm still interested to see how it gets adapted for daily use but now my curiosity is based on intrigue instead of skepticism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, edladd said:

I'm confused. Are we still waiting for a new WNT set or is what we see now going to be it?

I think priorities have shifted (for obvious reasons) and they will unveil it at some point in the future. They accomplished the goal of having it done by the midterms, which was the main reason for building it in the first place.

• Like 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/abcs-david-muir-is-trying-remain-calm-steady-pandemic-1287684

A pretty good read (highly recommend)

'World News Tonight' has been the top-rated show in all of American television for three weeks this month (March), averaging nearly 11 million viewers per night.

Edited by jase
  • Like 2

I don't generally watch David Muir on a daily basis but I can easily tell you that NBC's coverage has been atrocious. They seem too gung ho in their reporting, NBC needs to do an overhaul in their reporters or hire some tv consultants. 

I give props to ABC’s coronavirus coverage. They’ve replaced GMA3:SS&K with coronavirus special daily. The View is constantly covering updates. They’ve done 20/20 specials and other prime time specials. Plus Nightline is focusing on Coronavirus and airing at 11:35.

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TVNewsLover said:

I give props to ABC’s coronavirus coverage. They’ve replaced GMA3:SS&K with coronavirus special daily. The View is constantly covering updates. They’ve done 20/20 specials and other prime time specials.

Add to it that the affiliates are doing local coronavirus updates during the daily pandemic show and Nightline.

Edited by Georgie56

On 4/2/2020 at 12:10 PM, Robin Red said:

I don't generally watch David Muir on a daily basis but I can easily tell you that NBC's coverage has been atrocious. They seem too gung ho in their reporting, NBC needs to do an overhaul in their reporters or hire some tv consultants. 

A lot of the coverage (not just from NBC) isn’t really good. Some reporters tend to ask the same questions every single day and/or tend to be argumentative towards this administration. 

As Dr. Birx said an hour or so ago. There will be a time to step back and fully assess what went wrong/right during this crisis, but now isn’t the time for that. I agree with her.

Edited by jase
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, jase said:

A lot of the coverage (not just from NBC) isn’t really good. Some reporters tend to ask the same questions every single day and/or tend to be argumentative towards this administration. 

As Dr. Birx said an hour or so ago. There will be a time to step back and fully assess what went wrong/right during this crisis, but now isn’t the time for that. I agree with her.

To that point the morning shows have been doing a terrible job as well. They’ve got nothing to talk about after non-stop coverage of the virus for 3 weeks and the information is basically being regurgitated day after day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jase said:

THAT needs to STOP!! We don't need to pile on while people are sick and/or out of work! We'll see what shape ABC, NBC & Other News are in after this..... I'll be watching!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jase said:

As Dr. Birx said an hour or so ago. There will be a time to step back and fully assess what went wrong/right during this crisis, but now isn’t the time for that. I agree with 

Case in point: Jim Acosta. CNN needs to reassign him to a different role since apparently he's more interested in being a pundit than a journalist. It showed during today's WH briefing.

He makes that network look bad.

Edited by Georgie56
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure when it started but WABC is showing World News at 7:30 instead of Wheel of Fortune.. it appears to be a second 1/2 hour and NOT a replay. David Muir made it a point to say “back on this 1/2 hour” and “NEW this 1/2 hour” 

Just now, RealNews18 said:

Not sure when it started but WABC is showing World News at 7:30 instead of Wheel of Fortune.. it appears to be a second 1/2 hour and NOT a replay. David Muir made it a point to say “back on this 1/2 hour” and “NEW this 1/2 hour” 

It's being offered to stations during the weeks that Wheel is in reruns (this being the 2nd non-consecutive week).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, RealNews18 said:

Weird that there's no mention of another 1/2 hour or that WNT is 1 hour long in the 6:30/5:30 newscast.

• 2 months later...

World News Tonight hits historic ratings milestone

World News Tonight With David Muir led all shows on broadcast and cable for the week [July 6] in total viewers, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54. No network nightly newscast has pulled off that triple in at least 28 years (since the beginning of Nielsen's electronic database in 1991-92).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...