ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I saw that last night as well.  I found it kind of weird that the monitor in the front of the desk appears blurry with that angled shot.

There's a pane they placed in front of it, when they refreshed the desk in the fall. It gets blurry and out of focus, when viewed on an angle. It's completely see-through straight-on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Couldn’t catch a screencap but the monitor on the desk was turned off a few times throughout last night’s WNT. Possibly some technical difficulties?

I remember something happening back in January where the videowall behind David went black for a short sec then turned back on.  In this video at the 0:35 you can see the videowall go dark briefly.  Just a guess, but it was probably a goof in the control room that led to that happening.  It appears they held on to that live shot a big longer than normal to try to "mask" that issue as best as they could.  Since they were scrambling to adapt to the breaking news happening right then, I couldn't really blame them.

Either way, given the leaked pictures purported to show the remodeled TV3, it's probably safe to assume we're very close to its debut.  So any issues with the temporary set will probably not get as much priority as it normally would.  (I'm just guessing there.)

12 hours ago, TheRyan said:

I remember something happening back in January where the videowall behind David went black for a short sec then turned back on.  In this video at the 0:35 you can see the videowall go dark briefly.  Just a guess, but it was probably a goof in the control room that led to that happening.  It appears they held on to that live shot a big longer than normal to try to "mask" that issue as best as they could.  Since they were scrambling to adapt to the breaking news happening right then, I couldn't really blame them.

The "US BASE ATTACKED?" that was on the wall at the start of the clip lost its question mark when it came back up. My assumption is that they were changing the graphic on the fly now that it was confirmed and there was a few seconds of black while the new version was loaded/rendered/whatever.

• Like 3

Yeah, I like the toned-down version of the 2018 election set. I also know and appreciate that it surely won't be so over the top for everyday use. Heck, the article even suggests that WNT's basic presentation format isn't likely to change much...when it eventually moves in.

Wow, that is a very impressive design.  My only critique is the use of those GMA-style LED doorways (not a fan of that)...but otherwise I give the set design an A+.  Very nice.

I wonder if they will have David normally sit at the bigger desk in the middle or on one of the desks to the side.  That middle desk seems really big for only one person to sit at.  So it should be interesting to see if that desk arrangement stays that way once WNT moves back in.

On a side note, interesting that WNT is still on the temporary set up tonight.  

It sounds like they have it pieced together enough for tonight's coverage, as they have the 2018 design as a launch point, but they've had setbacks and delays, so they they're still mapping out how it will be used for the other programs.

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

On a side note, interesting that WNT is still on the temporary set up tonight.  

To me it made sense (to be on temp set) given this new studio was inspired by the 2018 midterms set and not with WNT in mind. No reason to unveil the set beforehand. Also, if the idea is to keep the current look of WNT, the new setup would likely be where the curved video wall can rise up/down and not along the sides.

Edited by jase
  • Like 1

The removal of false walls from the former news bays on each side of the studio revealed windows to the outdoors which were part of the building design.  You can see them on the far wall in the picture.  Also note the spaghetti of wires talked about in the article.  Finally, you can see the black curtain (with protective plastic in front of it) on the right side of the large part of the studio.  Behind that was the first temporary set.  It would be later removed when it was time to work on that part of the studio.

IMG_20191221_171543883.jpg

Edited by Camera1
  • Like 4

Here's a better shot of the "ABCNEWS NEW YORK" part of the room behind Jennings.  The window to the downstairs control room now can be seen.  The monitors behind were visible behind Jennings on WNT in the 80's.

IMG_20191221_171508658.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Camera1 said:

Here's a better shot of the "ABCNEWS NEW YORK" part of the room behind Jennings.  The window to the downstairs control room now can be seen.  The monitors behind were visible behind Jennings on WNT in the 80's.

Do you have any idea when any shows will move into this new set permanently? And if so which is coming first? 

9 hours ago, Camera1 said:

I used to work there for many years. Not anymore. The downstairs control room came later after the ABC News Now launch in 2004. Before that, it was a conference room where the execs and producers had their 9 am meeting. It was called the "Crazy Eddie room." And yes, there were monitors in the room too.

Edited by netnewsguy
  • Like 2