ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

An update from W 66th St:

The temp set is now gone, as renovation has expanded to that part of TV3.  The GMA studio will be getting even more use now, with that new small ABC News Live studio the only one operational at 47 West.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Camera1 said:

An update from W 66th St:

The temp set is now gone, as renovation has expanded to that part of TV3.  The GMA studio will be getting even more use now, with that new small ABC News Live studio the only one operational at 47 West.

Tonight's show appears to be coming from one lf their flashcam setups, with brighter lighting, no wide shots, and only OTS graphics.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:00 PM, Camera1 said:

The GMA studio will be getting even more use now {...}

Not necessarily. World News Now will be coming from the ABC News LIVE set for the next few weeks, and the anchors were ready with jokes.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Also of note, for the first time in the impeachment proceedings, George is not anchoring. Terry Moran is leading coverage this morning, even though George was on GMA this morning. I've always liked Terry in an anchor role.

Most likely from one of their little flashcam setups. Perfectly acceptable for a solo anchor, but not co-anchors. With ABC News LIVE relaunching this evening, I would bet WNT will remain in the same spot as over the weekend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Camera1 said:

It's actually in a different area now.  Just the desk and a single videowall behind, not on the side.  Work on building structure mainly complete.  Set has been going up for about a week.

I’m assuming this is the space they’ll use for World News Tonight and Election coverage? 

Also I would bet it would be ready by Super Tuesday 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

I’m assuming this is the space they’ll use for World News Tonight and Election coverage? 

5 hours ago, Camera1 said:

It's actually in a different area now.  Just the desk and a single videowall behind, not on the side.  Work on building structure mainly complete.  Set has been going up for about a week.

I was thinking it would likely take until at least the start of May sweeps to get the work done in TV3 (given how major the work is).  Is it possible they'll have it done sooner?

1 minute ago, TheRyan said:

I was thinking it would likely take until at least the start of May sweeps to get the work done in TV3 (given how major the work is).  Is it possible they'll have it done sooner?

If they’re doing a video wall type set with certain hard elements such as a desk, it could be built quickly. The video walls probably could be installed in a day or two (like they were in MSNBC 3A). 

• Like 2

As I understand it, the set itself is finished.

Integration and testing takes time, especially if there's problems.

I also understand that the LED wall market is suffering from supply chain issues due to the cornonavirus and it's impacting the install of LED walls globally. It's possible they need a new part that they can't get right now.

• Like 6

Was there today.  The set is a little over halfway finished.   It maximizes the space in a manner similar to 30 Rock's 3A.  Different functions for different parts of the studio, all integrated into a single unifying set.   If you remember the midterm election set you have an idea of the look.   Just over 2 weeks to air!

15 hours ago, Weeters said:

As I understand it, the set itself is finished.

Integration and testing takes time, especially if there's problems.

I also understand that the LED wall market is suffering from supply chain issues due to the cornonavirus and it's impacting the install of LED walls globally. It's possible they need a new part that they can't get right now.

23 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Deadline is Super Tuesday.  

On 2/14/2020 at 12:27 PM, freelanceproducer said:

Correct on all counts!  

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Camera1 said:

Was there today.  The set is a little over halfway finished.   It maximizes the space in a manner similar to 30 Rock's 3A.  Different functions for different parts of the studio, all integrated into a single unifying set.   If you remember the midterm election set you have an idea of the look.   Just over 2 weeks to air!

Deadline is Super Tuesday.  

Correct on all counts!  

Wow, this should be quite something to see launch.  I don't know if you're at liberty of answering this question, but do they still have the newsroom on the two sides of TV3?

7 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Wow, this should be quite something to see launch.  I don't know if you're at liberty of answering this question, but do they still have the newsroom on the two sides of TV3?

No more.  Those spaces will be used differently.

• Thanks 1

Almost makes you wonder why they didn't just keep the midterm set and use it permanently...

Hoping for heavier use of AR and virtual elements as well. That component of ABC's midterm coverage was good, and AR is badly underutilized in daily news production in the United States.

Edited by TSSZNews

2 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

I wonder if new graphics will come with the studio relaunch. I like the current music, but if they do change it, I’m hoping it’s something with a nod back to the Peter Jennings-era music. Not a fan of the direction ABC News music has been going lately. 

I could see WNT returning to the 1996-2012 Edd Kalehoff theme with a few updates amd remastering working.  We'll see what ABC has planned when newly updated studio debuts.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

WNT just needs to move to 16x9 graphics. It's the only ABC News program (as far as I'm aware) that's designed 4x3 safe. It's very odd.

The only network newscast (and the highest-rated one, at that), period, that is entirely 4x3 safe.

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

WNT just needs to move to 16x9 graphics. It's the only ABC News program (as far as I'm aware) that's designed 4x3 safe. It's very odd.

Agreed. Because...

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

The only network newscast (and the highest-rated one, at that), period, that is entirely 4x3 safe.

When even World News Now and America This Morning are out of the safe zone, it's utterly embarrassing at this point. Hopefully, this new set will change all that.