ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

9 minutes ago, 24994J said:

There's a case to be made, there. The newsroom space on the left looks a little flat, as if they made a big screen print. That said, I don't know what other such studio space of this decent size would be available.

It'd easier to make that call with some video reference. It would be extremely difficult, but not impossible, to replicate that depth in 3D space with a print.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

There's a case to be made, there. The newsroom space on the left looks a little flat, as if they made a big screen print. That said, I don't know what other such studio space of this decent size would be available.

337129750_bandicam2020-01-0603-02-55-556.thumb.png.a22f18fb5f989c059998d434065a4a56.png

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

It'd easier to make that call with some video reference. It would be extremely difficult, but not impossible, to replicate that depth in 3D space with a print.

To me that is 99.9% likely to not be the actual newsroom backdrop.  That again raises my suspicions they are doing major renovations in TV3.

And I'm watching them right now and it looks like a video backdrop given the slight pixelated look on the 2-anchor shot.

• Like 1

Just now, TheRyan said:

And I'm watching them right now and it looks like a video backdrop given the slight pixelated look on the 2-anchor shot.

That's a given. The backdrop behind the anchors is the video wall, something they've been doing since before the renovations began. The question is ultimately the legitimacy of the area on the left (to the anchors' right).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 24994J said:

That's a given. The backdrop behind the anchors is the video wall, something they've been doing since before the renovations began. The question is ultimately the legitimacy of the area on the left (to the anchors' right).

100% agreed.  

And btw, here is a screenshot I just got of one of the OTS shots.  The backdrop is a dead giveaway in that shot as well with the pixelation.    I will say that the monitor to the left side looks more realistic than the rest of the backdrop in that frame.

image.thumb.png.9eb88be7d3287df827d53e4254a99cc1.png

• Like 1

The main takeway from what we're seeing so far in these images and videos that's been posted in this thread so far regarding this set refresh is that there's a lot more happening behind the scenes regarding this than what ABC is willing to tell us.

I truly believe that there is some form of a MAJOR renovation that's taking place in the main WNT set, how major is anyone's guess at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

The main takeway from what we're seeing so far in these images and videos that's been posted in this thread so far regarding this set refresh is that there's a lot more happening behind the scenes regarding this than what ABC is willing to tell us.

I truly believe that there is some form of a MAJOR renovation that's taking place in the main WNT set, how major is anyone's guess at this point.

And agreed it's 100% major in some way...otherwise they wouldn't have so much workarounds made with how they normally produce their shows.  This Week originated from Times Square studios.  What does that tell you?  To me, there is something major going on.  I think we can safely conclude that much.   And I agree with you.  It's not a question on if something major is happening.  It's only a question of how major it is.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s exciting. The current WNT set has been around since 2010 iirc with some refreshes here and there. Doesn’t seem that outrageous to me that they’d do a major overhaul especially when the move is 4 years away. That’s an eternity in television.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TheRyan said:

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/01/06/abc-news-times-square-temporary/

Towards the end of this article from NewscastStudio, there is an interesting idea that was raised.   Is it possible that WNT is not even in TV3 at the moment, but in a temporary studio? 

they are still in TV3. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 24994J said:

The newsroom space on the left looks a little flat, as if they made a big screen print.

337129750_bandicam2020-01-0603-02-55-556.thumb.png.a22f18fb5f989c059998d434065a4a56.png

If I watched this live while half-asleep, I would've freaked the hell out like a pothead watching The Wall for the first time (the movie? the game show? you decide).

1 hour ago, MorningNews said:

That’s exciting. The current WNT set has been around since 2010 iirc with some refreshes here and there. Doesn’t seem that outrageous to me that they’d do major overhaul especially when the move is 4 years away. That’s an eternity in television.

I tend to think of everything since they debuted the big screen behind the anchor desk in 2004 as a series of incremental updates of that set. They've gone through several desks and multiple video technologies in that time, but most of the rest hasn't changed much other than the addition of the light boxes and monitors around the columns. Certainly nothing as big as Nightly News' moves across the hall and back or CBS' rebuild of Studio 47 for Katie Couric.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheRyan said:

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/01/06/abc-news-times-square-temporary/

Towards the end of this article from NewscastStudio, there is an interesting idea that was raised.   Is it possible that WNT is not even in TV3 at the moment, but in a temporary studio? 

The small WNT set IS in TV3. It's nothing but a desk and video walls, except for a small portion of the old set moved to the the right of the video wall behind the desk.   A temporary partition has been placed near the east end of TV3 and WNT is broadcasting from behind it in a small space, opposite from where the curved video wall used to be, and behind the former GMA Weekend portion of the set in an area that was used for storage. The rest of the set is under massive construction.  The faux back walls in the news coves on each side of the old set have been removed, revealing for the first time, windows which I don't think were ever exposed since the studio first went on the air in the early 80's.  Those areas are now gutted to the steel beams.  Lots more work to be done. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Props to WNT for sticking with the breaking new story tonight while NN and EN went into other news. 

I don’t think props are in order, personally.  CBS EN covered it for 10+ minutes of the 30 minute broadcast.  How many times can you say ‘Iranian rockets struck an air base with US troops’ over and over again?  That’s all that was known at the time of broadcast; anything more was speculation.

If WNT carried the story for more than a third of the broadcast, it is consistent with its trend of leveraging the urgency of the news.

Also, CBS and NBC immediately followed their evening newscasts with special reports, while ABC is airing normal programming.  

Edited by mountainave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Props to WNT for sticking with the breaking new story tonight while NN and EN went into other news. 

30 minutes ago, mountainave said:

I don’t think props are in order, personally.  CBS EN covered it for 10+ minutes of the 30 minute broadcast.  How many times can you say ‘Iranian rockets struck an air base with US troops’ over and over again?  That’s all that was known at the time of broadcast; anything more was speculation.

If WNT carried the story for more than a third of the broadcast, it is consistent with its trend of leveraging the urgency of the news.

Also, CBS and NBC immediately followed their evening newscasts with special reports, while ABC is airing normal programming.  

WNT actually stuck with it for 15 minutes, and had a quick mention of it coming out of the first break before reporting on the impeachment trial showdown and the state of emergency in Puerto Rico. The final two minutes was a wrap up of the breaking news. 

Regardless of how long each network covered it, keep in mind that the evening news teams at ABC, CBS and NBC spend hours each day building the thirty minute newscast. For them to throw out all that work just minutes before air time and reshape the entire program on the fly, based on actual breaking news, is no small feat.

Kudos to all of them. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Interesting to note that Nightline is using the WNT desk.  I can only speak for tonight's broadcast, though.  I don't know if this is just tonight or if they have been doing this for a while.

As long as the temp set has been in use, as far as I know.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MorningNews said:

Doesn’t seem that outrageous to me that they’d do a major overhaul especially when the move is 4 years away. That’s an eternity in television.

Except in local TV....lol.

5 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Regardless of how long each network covered it, keep in mind that the evening news teams at ABC, CBS and NBC spend hours each day building the thirty minute newscast. For them to throw out all that work just minutes before air time and reshape the entire program on the fly, based on actual breaking news, is no small feat.

Spending "hours each day" building a show is what newsrooms across the country do all day, every day, for multiple shows. It's not unique to networks. News organizations of all types will/do discard those hours of work on a whim to cover breaking news. 

As for the network news shows tonight (and other times), they did multiple updated  live versions across time zones, so the version you saw may not be the same as what someone else saw.

11 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Interesting to note that Nightline is using the WNT desk.  I can only speak for tonight's broadcast, though.  I don't know if this is just tonight or if they have been doing this for a while.

Consistent with rumblings that the entire floor is undergoing major construction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As he should be. Trying not to let my emotions take control but Gutman should probably be terminated. As a national news reporter you need to be accountable for reporting information that isn’t vetted. There was no reason for him to report what he did without having it verified.

A lot of media outlets completely embarrassed themselves in the initial hours and days after the tragic news. It doesn’t do much to help against the claims that the media in the U.S. is atrocious.