ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

5 hours ago, mountainave said:

This Week is being anchored from the Times Square GMA set. 

Okay this pretty much confirms TV3 is being totally redone, not just a small refresh. I have a feeling it will debut tomorrow night. I wonder what it will look like?

Edited by jbnews

2 hours ago, jbnews said:

Okay this pretty much confirms TV3 is being totally redone, not just a small refresh. I have a feeling it will debut tomorrow night. I wonder what it will look like?

I don't know why they would go to the trouble of another remodel when they're a couple years out from moving to Hudson Yards though...

I could see this being a permanent spot for This Week for 2020 to be honest--a lot of the BG elements look too produced for it to be a one-off as it is, and the execution was solid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I don't know why they would go to the trouble of another remodel when they're a couple years out from moving to Hudson Yards though...

I could see this being a permanent spot for This Week for 2020 to be honest--a lot of the BG elements look too produced for it to be a one-off as it is, and the execution was solid.

Considering how close they are in the ratings to NBC Nightly News, I would think the network sees it as a necessary investment to keep them as competitive (in terms of visuals) as possible. 

Besides, I think it's good they want to keep things updated for that studio--despite the planned move.   That studio has a lot of history and I'm glad they are going to keep it looking as good as possible to the end of its use.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

4 Hudson Square (Hudson Yards is in a different area).  They're going to break ground in that area sometime this year, and it'll take about four years to complete.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Considering how close they are in the ratings to NBC Nightly News, I would think the network sees it as a necessary investment to keep them as competitive (in terms of visuals) as possible. 

Besides, I think it's good they want to keep things updated for that studio--despite the planned move.   That studio has a lot of history and I'm glad they are going to keep it looking as good as possible to the end of its use.

Valid point about ABC making updates to the WNT set is ABC can't and doesn't need to be becoming complacent.  Besides set and studio updates, we could see graphics updates as well.  We'll have to see how things play out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

4 Hudson Square (Hudson Yards is in a different area).  They're going to break ground in that area sometime this year, and it'll take about four years to complete.

I beg your pardon - you are absolutely right. My fault!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, panewswatcher69 said:

I remember the spacious Election Night 2018 set that ABC News used.  Could ABC News be getting ready for the upcoming 2020 presidential election season?

I doubt it. The 2018 set was in the now-Tamron Hall studio, after The Chew ended. As elaborate as that set was, I think that was also an exercise in AR and other tech. Could stuff like that be in consideration in this main set update? Maybe, but I doubt they'll use the newsroom set for the 2020 election. I'd be shocked if they don't remodel the second floor of Times Square, once more. They've used that space for the presidential election for the last 5 cycles (plus the first floor for the 2014 midterms).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Clearly ABC has plenty of time to get its use out of any new set/graphics elements before any such move to Hudson Square.

4 minutes ago, 24994J said:

I doubt it. The 2018 set was in the now-Tamron Hall studio, after The Chew ended. As elaborate as that set was, I think that was also an exercise in AR and other tech. Could stuff like that be in consideration in this main set update? Maybe, but I doubt they'll use the newsroom set for the 2020 election. I'd be shocked if they don't remodel the second floor of Times Square, once more. They've used that space for the presidential election for the last 5 cycles (plus the first floor for the 2014 midterms).

Are they also planning a move from Times Square?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Clearly ABC has plenty of time to get its use out of any new set/graphics elements before any such move to Hudson Square.

Are they also planning a move from Times Square?

I don’t see a move from TSS. Disney owns the building outright and as long as ABC keeps paying they’ll remain.  Additionally it’s in a tourist area - like 30 Rock. 

I should add from the renderings I’ve seen of the new development there really is no area for outdoors space like Times Square. There are some terraces between “tower blocks” but the hassle of of bringing an audience crow through security up through a building for a short period of time seems like a hassle (even though they do it for the second hour of GMA and GMA3). 

Edited by rkolsen
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I don’t see a move from TSS. Disney owns the building outright and as long as ABC keeps paying they’ll remain.  Additionally it’s in a tourist area - like 30 Rock. 

I should add from the renderings I’ve seen of the new development there really is no area for outdoors space like Times Square. There are some terraces between “tower blocks” but the hassle of of bringing an audience crow through security up through a building for a short period of time seems like a hassle (even though they do it for the second hour of GMA and GMA3). 

So technically would this mostly be a WABC move from 67th and Columbus to Downtown + the remaining offices that occupy ABC. I'm in that Hudson Square area and construction has been very active as of late.  Would this also mean that GMA + GMA3 may end up staying at TSS while everyone else is Downtown?.

1 hour ago, Spintech33 said:

So technically would this mostly be a WABC move from 67th and Columbus to Downtown + the remaining offices that occupy ABC. I'm in that Hudson Square area and construction has been very active as of late.  Would this also mean that GMA + GMA3 may end up staying at TSS while everyone else is Downtown?.

Good Morning America is staying in Times Square. Disney/ABC noted that in the initial announcement about the move downtown.  WABC and the rest of ABC News are moving downtown along with Disney/ABC offices currently on the Upper West Side. This includes Eyewitness News, Live with Kelly & Ryan, World News Tonight, 20/20, and The View. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wabceyewitness said:

Good Morning America is staying in Times Square. Disney/ABC noted that in the initial announcement about the move downtown.  WABC and the rest of ABC News are moving downtown along with Disney/ABC offices currently on the Upper West Side. This includes Eyewitness News, Live with Kelly & Ryan, World News Tonight, 20/20, and The View. 

One I’d like to know is if they are still going to have excess studios to rent out. If they aren’t there aren’t many places that could fit a show like Dr. Oz. 

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

One I’d like to know is if they are still going to have excess studios to rent out. If they aren’t there aren’t many places that could fit a show like Dr. Oz. 

I imagine they have planned for that. The West End studio (former home of The View and current home of Dr. Oz) is also part of the sale of Disney’s Upper West Side properties. One thing to note, is that Disney will keep ownership of the armory it renovated on West 66th Street that currently houses ESPN offices. 

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Nothing new tonight. I can't imagine what they're doing that's taking so long, while maintaining the same bones of the 2010 studio and the refreshed desk.

Plus I would imagine the set pieces were likely pre-fabricated.

• Like 1

It is a renovation of the entire space that houses TV3. The space — which is much larger than the small studio area you see on air — has been a construction zone the last few weeks. This isn’t just a set redesign where pieces are moved out and new pieces moved in. 

• Like 2

It's very subtle, however I'm noticing the lighting is very slightly different than what I recall being normal.  The best way I can describe it is the lighting appears a bit duller than normal.  Maybe it's nothing, but just something I noticed.

This is what WNT looked like over the weekend:

Compare that with a few months ago:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

It's very subtle, however I'm noticing the lighting is very slightly different than what I recall being normal.  The best way I can describe it is the lighting appears a bit duller than normal.  Maybe it's nothing, but just something I noticed.

This is what WNT looked like over the weekend:

Compare that with a few months ago:

The biggest change that I took note of from the 2 videos is that on the 2nd video in the link it didn't have the map of the world in the background behind the anchor desk like it does in the first video.

I think if nothing else, ABC is doing a refresh to the current set and any significant major changes won't take place until when they do make that move to Hudson Square (IF they even do make that move)

They adjusted the lighting a few weeks back. I think it's an improvement. I don't think it's duller, so much as the light contrast isn't as strong. The whole look feels a bit bright, and not so dingy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2020/01/06/abc-news-times-square-temporary/

Towards the end of this article from NewscastStudio, there is an interesting idea that was raised.   Is it possible that WNT is not even in TV3 at the moment, but in a temporary studio? 

There's a case to be made, there. The newsroom space on the left looks a little flat, as if they made a big screen print. That said, I don't know what other such studio space of this decent size would be available.

337129750_bandicam2020-01-0603-02-55-556.thumb.png.a22f18fb5f989c059998d434065a4a56.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2