ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, the new video display on the ABC News set was only temporary. The smaller, flat video wall that was set closer to the desk was apparently just a placeholder while a new, curved, seamless display was installed behind it, replacing the vertically-mounted monitor wall.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

In yet another update to the main ABC News studio, the monitors on the front of the desk are now completely seamless. The panels on the corners also have been removed entirely, after seeing a few different looks over the set's 9-year life. Only 2 to 20 more years before the move to the new building. They made this change during the last weekend of October, when no Saturday WNT is produced.

1868627265_bandicam2019-10-2717-32-20-202.thumb.png.10f4cf5f2bc4c99b24a30d1137c49f52.png283090621_bandicam2019-10-2717-32-21-498.thumb.png.fbf7e7b2eb90a1d2694ee5f7bebd08f1.png

• Like 1

Haven't paid much attention to WNT in a while.  I used to like the curved video wall made up of flat panels.  Thought it was creative.

I assume in the left hand side of the first photo, those panels and backlit elements are hiding a pillar?

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I'm slightly surprised they are still updating anything in the studio, if it's true that they plan to move altogether in a few years.

These tiles are so cheap now and are also easily removable that they could be transported to the new building for other uses.

Would not surprise me if the screens on the desk were showing burn in.

Also I didn't know/remember that the video wall went seamless as well.

Edited by rkolsen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Also I didn't know/remember that the video wall went seamless as well.

Mentioned right up this page in July. They put in a temporary video wall in front of the monitor wall, installed the seamless unit behind it, then removed the stand-in. Took like a week or two.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, WWUpdate said:

World News Tonight has been a milseading name for years. All three network newscats are a disgrace in this respect.

I surely do miss the Jennings era when they actually had WORLD NEWS for the majority of the newscast. Unfortunately overall news distribution has degraded to viral video analysis, online shopping discount notifications, and too much fluff pieces. At this point, they might as well call it GMA: After Dark.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tvtime07 said:

I surely do miss the Jennings era when they actually had WORLD NEWS for the majority of the newscast. Unfortunately overall news distribution has degraded to viral video analysis, online shopping discount notifications, and too much fluff pieces. At this point, they might as well call it GMA: After Dark.

Not to mention... BREAKING NEWS every time they kick off the broadcast. It's effing ridiculous.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It appears that the temporary video wall has been reinstalled on the main ABC News set, positioned closer to the desk, in front of the usual installation. Last time, it was to switch out the monitor array with a seamless curved display. No idea what's up this time, though they've been making some updates to lighting and walls over the last several weeks.

20191218_175414_HDR.thumb.jpg.a061555659b9015bccb5181e6e7e95be.jpg

15 minutes ago, 24994J said:

It appears that the temporary video wall has been reinstalled on the main ABC News set, positioned closer to the desk, in front of the usual installation. Last time, it was to switch out the monitor array with a seamless curved display. No idea what's up this time, though they've been making some updates to lighting and walls over the last several weeks.

20191218_175414_HDR.thumb.jpg.a061555659b9015bccb5181e6e7e95be.jpg

There’s something to be said for a newsroom right behind the anchor instead... I missed a call from the 90’s and they may be trying to get me back though...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Any chance they go to having a newsroom backdrop versus the current video wall look?   Personally, I highly doubt it.

I'd love to see ABC go back to having that background, it'd actually be a nice tribute to Peter Jennings where throughout most of his run as anchor of World News Tonight it was done that way.

But I highly doubt they'll bring it back, it's nice to think and dream about though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mountainave said:

This Week is being anchored from the Times Square GMA set. 

The Times Square set actually looks better using the This Week graphics than it does for GMA. 

Assuming ABC keeps the giant TV wall behind the anchor desk, I wonder how different TV3 will look on air after the renovations.