ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

They reported from the scene of a major event. What’s the big deal? If the whole newscast was about the Oscars, then I’d be pissed. But as long as they reported all the news stories of the day, what’s the big deal about the backdrop.

I don’t understand why this is a big deal.

Agreed. It's a Sunday newscast, which is usually just all whip-around wire regurgitation stories and 'here's what you missed on the Sunday talk shows, if you care' on most weeks. A weekday, that would have been reason to be concerned. Unless big breaking news occurred on Sunday, there's no reason to worry, and they probably had a backup crew in New York ready to go if they had to go into serious mode.

• Like 5

Because the Oscars really aren’t News... it’s fun. News is things that actually effect people. How does an Oscar personally effect anybody? Does anyone actually go postal over it or does a family not eat over it?

Well, if you want to get technical, the #MeToo movement is news and I’m sure there was stuff to report. The Oscars are news. Since when is only the bad things like murders, robberies, and bombings considered news? There is a such thing as good news. Again I will point to the content of the show, which covered all the headlines.

• Like 1

We’re not going to agree on this so I’m just going to walk away from the discussion. I don’t think it’s appropriate for World News Tonight to broadcast the newscast from the Red Carpet of a major entertainment show. They’ve never done the show from the Red Carpet and ABC has had the Oscars for decades now. It’s like tuning into E! News for election coverage or ESPN for a high speed chase. It’s in poor taste and I’m not looking to get my news of the day from someone standing on the Red Carpet.

You are, so fine - we can disagree on that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We’re not going to agree on this so I’m just going to walk away from the discussion. I don’t think it’s appropriate for World News Tonight to broadcast the newscast from the Red Carpet of a major entertainment show. They’ve never done the show from the Red Carpet and ABC has had the Oscars for decades now. It’s like tuning into E! News for election coverage or ESPN for a high speed chase. It’s in poor taste and I’m not looking to get my news of the day from someone standing on the Red Carpet.

ESPN is supposed to be for sports programming. E! Is supposed to be for entertainment programming. ABC, NBC, and CBS News are supposed to cover all/general news. So you’re example doesn’t really make sense.

I don’t see how it’s any different than reporting from the scene of any other major story. I wasn’t looking to get my news from the red carpet. However, I don’t mind it as actual news is what was presented. What’s it matter what the backdrop is as long is the content is good? Isn’t good news (Oscars) still considered news? Or are we only supposed to report from scenes of tragedies?

As to why they’ve never done it before, I believe they may have skipped WNT on Oscar Sunday entirely in years past. This year they aired it earlier, at 4:30 ET.

If we can’t have a thoughtful and respectful discussion, then maybe it is better you walk away from it.

• Like 1

ESPN is supposed to be for sports programming. E! Is supposed to be for entertainment programming. ABC, NBC, and CBS News are supposed to cover all/general news. So you’re example doesn’t really make sense.

I don’t see how it’s any different than reporting from the scene of any other major story. I wasn’t looking to get my news from the red carpet. However, I don’t mind it as actual news is what was presented. What’s it matter what the backdrop is as long is the content is good? Isn’t good news (Oscars) still considered news? Or are we only supposed to report from scenes of tragedies?

As to why they’ve never done it before, I believe they may have skipped WNT on Oscar Sunday entirely in years past. This year they aired it earlier, at 4:30 ET.

If we can’t have a thoughtful and respectful discussion, then maybe it is better you walk away from it.

I'm all for having a thoughtful conversation about it, but there's simply nothing else to talk about. I disagree with you and your statement that the Red Carpet of an entertainment award show, which many people have negative feelings about this year, is an appropriate setting for a nightly newscast. If ABC wanted to broadcast from the LA bureau then fine, but the Red Carpet of the biggest circle jerk in existence - that's just in poor taste. Agree to disagree.

• Haha 1

I'm all for having a thoughtful conversation about it, but there's simply nothing else to talk about. I disagree with you and your statement that the Red Carpet of an entertainment award show, which many people have negative feelings about this year, is an appropriate setting for a nightly newscast. If ABC wanted to broadcast from the LA bureau then fine, but the Red Carpet of the biggest circle jerk in existence - that's just in poor taste. Agree to disagree.

Wait how would the LA bureau be much better? Of course they wouldn't be on site but they would clearly say that they are broadcasting from LA due to the Oscars that evening. Does actually being on site really destroy the show's credibility? And say what you want about the Oscars, they are newsy and if people have negative feelings about it, more so than usual, wouldn't that make it more newsy?

It's just self-promotion, like any of the morning shows, evening news shows or Sunday shows broadcasting from the Super Bowl. Not to mention that it's only the weekend show we're talking about.

Well, if you want to get technical, the #MeToo movement is news and I’m sure there was stuff to report. The Oscars are news. Since when is only the bad things like murders, robberies, and bombings considered news? There is a such thing as good news. Again I will point to the content of the show, which covered all the headlines.

Yay... the opinions of disconnected people reported by disconnected people. Oh goody.

• Like 3

I'm surprised ABC even had World News Tonight on given I don't ever recall an evening newscast airing at 4:30 Eastern Time.

• Like 1

I found a screen cap that I took from last year's show because I couldn't remember when WNT aired, and it was an hour later at 5:30/4:30. It was moved so the local newscasts could remain at the same 5/4 time.

378455645_2017schedule.thumb.png.0317e35ca178f2fc7e15b8ad104dbad3.png

No need to get personal just because we disagree. You don’t know me.

J is right I was referring to the celebrities and journalists both of which are a class above most of us... but I will never know you... why would you even bother bringing that up? Usually put that way it’s some sort of threat of violence...

J is right I was referring to the celebrities and journalists both of which are a class above most of us... but I will never know you... why would you even bother bringing that up? Usually put that way it’s some sort of threat of violence...

I thought you were being judgmental of me. I meant it in the sense of who are you to judge me if you don’t know me. Relax, it meant nothing more. Guess you misunderstood me just like I misunderstood you.

• 1 month later...
WNT is also number 1 currently and is the only network evening newscast growing in total viewers and the demo.

I think majority of it is affiliate related, cause where I live my ABC affiliate has the higher ratings. Most people don't change the channel cause they will end up getting the same news.

Also the bad press that NBC got with Matt Lauer really impacted NBC and also the hiring of Megyn Kelly. A good number of viewers probably got tired of NBC's drama.

• 2 months later...

Something I've wondered: at least here in Milwaukee, on Monday through Saturday, there's a local news at 5:00, and WNT airs at 5:30. On Sunday, WNT airs at 5:00 and a local newscast at 5:30.

I don't know if other affiliates follow the same schedule, but in any case, the question remains: why is the schedule flipped on Sundays only? Anyone know?

Something I've wondered: at least here in Milwaukee, on Monday through Saturday, there's a local news at 5:00, and WNT airs at 5:30. On Sunday, WNT airs at 5:00 and a local newscast at 5:30.

I don't know if other affiliates follow the same schedule, but in any case, the question remains: why is the schedule flipped on Sundays only? Anyone know?

I checked old listings from the early 1990s and ABC fed the weekend news (both Saturday and Sunday) earlier than on weeknights.

I don't know why. Only a few stations carried it at 6 ET/5 CT back then.

You get two newscasts on Saturdays at 5:00 and 6:00, you can consolidate them on Sundays to have one single newscast at 5:30 p.m.

Same for KTRK in Houston. KHOU (CBS) also. However KPRC (NBC) follows the traditional local news at 5 and NN at 5:30.

IIRC, NBC never fed its weekend newscasts at 6ET/5CT. Only CBS and ABC have done it.