ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

I guess they don't realize that they should've said "News Update" instead of "Breaking News". Breaking News is when a shocking turn of events happened, in which everybody wants to know what's going on.

Oh boy...

That ship sailed last century, right about the same time "Exclusive" lost all meaning.

It's ok Grandpa,

You can hook your wheelchair to my walker and we can maramble into the next century where the kids have smartphones and Facebook Yummies.

BTW...

Does WINS still do a 20/20 format after all these years?

• Haha 1

This has become a problem in the industry... they are trying to get eyeballs and repelling people instead...

In which it makes their stories more repetitive unless they get another one to use for a week.

Does WINS still do a 20/20 format after all these years?

That is their purpose of being a news station for over 50 years.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The network’s flagship newscast should not be broadcasting from the red carpet of an entertainment award show especially when there is breaking news coming out of the White House. The show has completely lost its identity as an actual summary of the world’s most critical events of the day. The Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings and Dan Rather days were the last time these programs had any credibility - and they would not have anchored from a red carpet.

I don’t understand how this is a complex thought.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Then I don't want to see any flagship newscasts peddling the network product from the site of the Olympics or the Super Bowl or whatever. I didn't see it, but unless Llamas turned around and started interviewing stars during the show, then it's the same damn thing.

Can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

Fair point. It’s never made sense to me that they do it either which is why I was a fan of Lester Holt returning to the states before the olympics ended.

Also, I am not aware of if the show aired from LA today but it did yesterday.

The network’s flagship newscast should not be broadcasting from the red carpet of an entertainment award show especially when there is breaking news coming out of the White House. The show has completely lost its identity as an actual summary of the world’s most critical events of the day. The Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings and Dan Rather days were the last time these programs had any credibility - and they would not have anchored from a red carpet.

I don’t understand how this is a complex thought.

They reported from the scene of a major event. What’s the big deal? If the whole newscast was about the Oscars, then I’d be pissed. But as long as they reported all the news stories of the day, what’s the big deal about the backdrop.

I don’t understand why this is a big deal.

• Like 1

Certainly a bit unconventional to have WNT on the red carpet — prob a better fit to have Good Morning America broadcast from there — but, others have said, it’s no different from NBC having its flagship newscast originate from the Olympics, Super Bowls, etc. I did watch Sunday’s broadcast. There was a story about the Oscars pegged to the #MeToo movement and some mentions of potential historic wins that could happen by people of color and women — noteworthy news, in my opinion. Everything else was a standard broadcast just not out the the New York studio... and it gave a natural flow to ABC’s Oscar coverage which started earlier in the day.

• Like 2

The show has never broadcast from the red carpet and ABC has had the rights for the Academy since last century.

The point being made is that ABC’s nightly newscast is a shell of its former self. One that used to be taken seriously and watched by about 6-8 million more people on average.

Is NO ONE allowed to voice criticism and disappointment in the direction of a once globally renowned news network? Or are only the opinions that praise WNT or GMA acceptable?

• Haha 1

There are criticisms to be had, for sure, it's just that this one really isn't the one to base your greater argument on. GMA is definitely in worse shape, content-wise, but I just can't agree that World News Tonight and the rest of the network can be generalized as some kind of complete dumpster fire. Heck, I think a debate can be had that WNT has come back to earth a little and is putting out a superior product now than it did in the last years of Diane's and into David's tenure.

Oh, and you're right. The program is not bringing in 6-8 million viewers a night.

They've averaged 9-10 million, this year, and lead by 200-500 thousand viewers.

• Like 1

There are criticisms to be had, for sure, it's just that this one really isn't the one to base your greater argument on. GMA is definitely in worse shape, content-wise, but I just can't agree that World News Tonight and the rest of the network can be generalized as some kind of complete dumpster fire. Heck, I think a debate can be had that WNT has come back to earth a little and is putting out a superior product now than it did in the last years of Diane's and into David's tenure.

Oh, and you're right. The program is not bringing in 6-8 million viewers a night.

They've averaged 9-10 million, this year, and lead by 200-500 thousand viewers.

Fine. I haven't watched it since a few years ago after David came on board and changed the show's pace and style. I haven't heard great things since then so my bad for not watching myself. It just seemed like a joke to broadcast the show from the Oscars Red Carpet. This is a program about the world's event and the Oscars, especially the red carpet, is not the place for that in my opinion. I also said the show is a former shell of itself (when Peter Jennings averaged 15 million viewers nightly). I agreed with you that NBC shouldn't pack up and move everything to the Olympics so I'm not just bashing ABC, but the Oscars Red Carpet is just not the proper setting for a nightly world news summary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They reported from the scene of a major event. What’s the big deal? If the whole newscast was about the Oscars, then I’d be pissed. But as long as they reported all the news stories of the day, what’s the big deal about the backdrop.

I don’t understand why this is a big deal.

Because the Oscars really aren’t News... it’s fun. News is things that actually effect people. How does an Oscar personally effect anybody? Does anyone actually go postal over it or does a family not eat over it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1