ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

The "Made in America" segments almost exclusively take the form of a smaller US-owned manufacturer succeeding against the odds or in spite of competition from overseas. Clearly, the Foxconn story wouldn't fit that format on multiple counts.

Besides, at this point, it isn't even really a thing, not yet, not really worth reporting on except at the local level or in the business media. What we have right now is nothing more than a piece of paper, a "memorandum of understanding." Once it gets further and gets through the various levels of government and they are ready to put shovels in dirt, maybe it might be a little more newsworthy.

• 1 month later...

Tom's done a good job this week. I think he might be next in line for WNT in a few years. Will be interesting to see how he does this week next to Lester who is also in and around floodwater. What a week for David to be off! I guess he couldn't get back early?

• Like 1

Tom's done a good job this week. I think he might be next in line for WNT in a few years. Will be interesting to see how he does this week next to Lester who is also in and around floodwater. What a week for David to be off! I guess he couldn't get back early?

ABC in general been criticized hard this week so hopefully things are not that bad. David must've had something more pressing than just a vacation.

ABC in general been criticized hard this week so hopefully things are not that bad. David must've had something more pressing than just a vacation.

ABC's been criticized hard this week? Why? I must have missed it.

• Like 1

Some have wondered why no David, and that whole thing about Tom and grocery store looters.

Criticism from people looking for something to criticize.

As for Tom succeeding David, I don't know why, barring the unexpected. David is at the helm of a program that's about to win the season for the first time in 2 decades.

• Like 1

Some have wondered why no David, and that whole thing about Tom and grocery store looters.

Criticism from people looking for something to criticize.

As for Tom succeeding David, I don't know why, barring the unexpected. David is at the helm of a program that's about to win the season for the first time in 2 decades.

I meant when David 's done, not anytime soon.

Tom Llamas has been exceptional. I guess you can add me to the chorus of folks thinking that David Muir might have wanted to come back to work given such a massively important story. Save for personal or family illness, I'm not seeing a good reason to sit this out. We all need our time off, but I'd find it impossible to not be in the mix during such a crucial time. In my field of radio, I also know that listener loyalty is built during times like these. They want that connection to the voice they hear every day during such deeply affecting times. And when something new and shiny comes along, it's the performance of a anchor/reporter during times like these that keep people focused on you and your work.

While I'm here, I have to say that Matt Gutman's reports have been particularly strong. This is a guy who is clearly not afraid to get his hands dirty on the field. Top marks for him, indeed.

• Like 2

Tom Llamas has been exceptional. I guess you can add me to the chorus of folks thinking that David Muir might have wanted to come back to work given such a massively important story. Save for personal or family illness, I'm not seeing a good reason to sit this out.

It's a great management tool to knock your assumed "Golden Boy" (Muir) down a few notches...just as a reminder as to "who" is in charge.

ABC could have said "Just sit this one out Dave...we have it covered..."

To which Davids Agent reacts....

"Holy Sh$T"...

Good way to make the talent and his agent much less important at contract re-negotiation time. Might even save a few million off the top.

• Like 4

Llamas was mocked on Twitter this week.

I saw that. I dare say that I still think he has done an overall great job. As for the content of that one report, there is certainly more than one person vetting the content of a news story. If there's blame, it needs to be shared. And, from my point of view, it's certainly not as potentially heinous an ethical crime as keeping a mic and a camera on a distraught woman after she makes it vividly clear that she doesn't want to be filmed, as was the case on CNN this week.

Let's face it, when you're flying by the seat of your pants, as these folks are during times like these, fumbles happen. I'll actually argue that I haven't seen anyone really do bad work this week.

• Like 3

I saw that. I dare say that I still think he has done an overall great job. As for the content of that one report, there is certainly more than one person vetting the content of a news story. If there's blame, it needs to be shared. And, from my point of view, it's certainly not as potentially heinous an ethical crime as keeping a mic and a camera on a distraught woman after she makes it vividly clear that she doesn't want to be filmed, as was the case on CNN this week.

Let's face it, when you're flying by the seat of your pants, as these folks are during times like these, fumbles happen. I'll actually argue that I haven't seen anyone really do bad work this week.

Did I miss something? What report was so controversial?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone else noticed that they label everything as "Breaking News"? It just occurred to me tonight, and now I can't stop noticing it. Every. Single. Story. "BREAKING NEWS." Why? An update from a story days ago isn't breaking news, it's an update.

YES! Every night they open with "breaking as we come on the air tonight" and every storm is a "monster storm with millions affected"

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that they label everything as "Breaking News"? It just occurred to me tonight, and now I can't stop noticing it. Every. Single. Story. "BREAKING NEWS." Why? An update from a story days ago isn't breaking news, it's an update.

Doonesbury mocked them back in 2015 for their over use of participles.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

CNN does the same. Or, at least, they did for a while. Not sure if it happens there as often, still.

Doonesbury mocked them back in 2015 for their over use of participles.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. The same is true on GMA, too.

• Like 1

I guess they don't realize that they should've said "News Update" instead of "Breaking News". Breaking News is when a shocking turn of events happened, in which everybody wants to know what's going on.

I guess they don't realize that they should've said "News Update" instead of "Breaking News". Breaking News is when a shocking turn of events happened, in which everybody wants to know what's going on.

This has become a problem in the industry... they are trying to get eyeballs and repelling people instead...

• Like 1