ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

ABC World News Tonight is broadcasting live from inside the stadium bowl at the NCAA Div. I Football Championship at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona, in my opinion an attempt to draw attention to the underrated bowl games on ESPN.

The stadium is already quite noisy, and is a severe distraction from the news he is attempting to deliver. I think they already realized trying to deliver news from inside a noisy stadium is a bad idea. They started him off with a body microphone, but after the first story, they had already switched him to a Sennheiser handheld microphone. IMO, they should have either reserved an additional press box for ABC News, or reported from *outside* the stadium.

Looks like they updated the West Coast feed and had David redo the first segment with the handheld mic.

It really was a silly idea to have WNT live from inside the stadium..and live in Arizona. Not much benefit to ABC News here, just free promotion for corporate cousin ESPN. They could've easily covered the story using an ESPN reporter or the two Good Morning America correspondents that were there.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

has ABC always done a 6pm feed of WNT on Saturdays? the reason i ask is when i had a dish id see two feeds of WNT after Wide World Of Sports on Saturdays in the late 80s/early 90s one for some stations then a second feed for others

• 2 months later...
David anchored tonight instead of Tom, perhaps given the gravity of the day's news.

I think that was planned ahead for the RNC convention coverage. Lester and Scott anchored their respective broadcast for the same reason too.

• Like 1

I think that was planned ahead for the RNC convention coverage. Lester and Scott anchored their respective broadcast for the same reason too.

Yeah you would want your top hitter, in ABC's case David to anchor. Did he do any special reports today?

• 5 months later...

With this new shooting in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., I would have believed that ABC News would have a special report. David Muir is probably not there yet. George probably went home.

• 4 weeks later...

New roles at ABC News for Tom Llamas, Cecelia Vega & Jonathan Karl:

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/jon-karl-cecilia-vega-and-tom-llamas-earn-new-roles-at-abc-news/319026

- Tom Llamas to anchor both weekend editions of WNT; chief national correspondent

- Cecelia Vega moving to DC where she will cover the white house full time and be the senior white house correspondent

- Jonathan Karl named chief white house correspondent and chief Washington correspondent.

• Like 5

New roles at ABC News for Tom Llamas, Cecelia Vega & Jonathan Karl:

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/jon-karl-cecilia-vega-and-tom-llamas-earn-new-roles-at-abc-news/319026

- Tom Llamas to anchor both weekend editions of WNT; chief national correspondent

- Cecelia Vega moving to DC where she will cover the white house full time and be the senior white house correspondent

- Jonathan Karl named chief white house correspondent and chief Washington correspondent.

Byron Pitts previously held the title of Chief National Correspondent. Is he still with ABC?