ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

The only reason I omitted GMA is because they just got a refresh, and while it wasn't necessarily an improvement, they're not likely getting anything new anytime soon. WNN's look is good, just getting long in the tooth, and ATM would be better off using GMA's look (flaws and all), instead of the bastard-child-cut-and-paste-hodge-podge-of-a-collage-mess graphics currently in place.

That's a really nice graphics package. Now if they would just get some adults to write the copy for the show... Seriously the writing on WNT is some of the most bizarre I've heard in TV News.

What, for example, is bad about the writing? I don't notice anything outrageous.

What, for example, is bad about the writing? I don't notice anything outrageous.

Not outrageous just a different style of writing for a network evening newscast. For example, on CBS or even back when Peter Jennings anchored, you might hear a story reported this way by the anchor:

"The weather in California is also making news tonight as wildfires spread deeper into residential areas. Hundreds of homes have been destroyed by the infernos and several thousand more are in danger. The biggest damage has been done in the city of Santa Clarita and that's where ABC's Pierre Thomas filed this report."

Today, the anchor would say:

"And tonight in California, hundreds of homes lost. Thousands more so close to those raging wild fires. The town of Santa Clarita hit hardest and ABC's Pierre Thomas in the middle of it all."

More to the point - dropping a lot of articles of speech and verbs - and reported in a more urgent bulletin-type of tone.

Ah, see what you mean. I actually like that, I think it keeps the newscast flowing.

Maybe I'm just kind of used to it, being near Philly and watching Action News. They kind of do that sometimes too ... "Action News on Ben Franklin Parkway tonight as the stage is assembled for Pope Francis' visit" etc.

Not outrageous just a different style of writing for a network evening newscast. For example, on CBS or even back when Peter Jennings anchored, you might hear a story reported this way by the anchor:

"The weather in California is also making news tonight as wildfires spread deeper into residential areas. Hundreds of homes have been destroyed by the infernos and several thousand more are in danger. The biggest damage has been done in the city of Santa Clarita and that's where ABC's Pierre Thomas filed this report."

"And tonight in California, hundreds of homes lost. Thousands more so close to those raging wild fires. The town of Santa Clarita hit hardest and ABC's Pierre Thomas in the middle of it all."

More to the point - dropping a lot of articles of speech and verbs - and reported in a more urgent bulletin-type of tone.

The thing is that bullets are nice to read but hearing someone talk in them is really weird. I don't know if NBC writes that way at all but their ratings lead suggests they have work to do. Writing normally is a start. It doesn't have to be super flashy to work and people don't speak that way. It's one more reason the show is entirely unwatchable.

I really can't stand when anchors of news programs use the words "that" and "those" when referring to a story at the top. It kinda infuriates me when they say them as if it's something really bad, even if the story isn't something bad.

Even if/when the story is about a person or a thing, they use "that" or "those".

Also, they don't say "the"; not more than "that" or "those", or even just as much.

That's why I'm annoyed at this most of the time. Really can't stand it.

I really can't stand when anchors of news programs use the words "that" and "those" when referring to a story at the top. It kinda infuriates me when they say them as if it's something really bad, even if the story isn't something bad.

Even if/when the story is about a person or a thing, they use "that" or "those".

Also, they don't say "the"; not more than "that" or "those", or even just as much.

That's why I'm annoyed at this most of the time. Really can't stand it.

"That Sheriff and his deputies so close to those wildfires and evacuating all those scared residents"... It just doesn't sound correct. It's not even that's it's a different style of writing (I'm not sure just because the words make some sense together it becomes a style) so much as its the antithesis of like 70+ years of broadcast writing...

Maybe because crime is half of what it was 20 years ago the news organizations feel the need to grab attention with overhyped and over sensationalized copy and stories that matter way less than they make them seem?

• Like 1

"That Sheriff and his deputies so close to those wildfires and evacuating all those scared residents"... It just doesn't sound correct. It's not even that's it's a different style of writing (I'm not sure just because the words make some sense together it becomes a style) so much as its the antithesis of like 70+ years of broadcast writing...

Maybe because crime is half of what it was 20 years ago the news organizations feel the need to grab attention with overhyped and over sensationalized copy and stories that matter way less than they make them seem?

I think it's done because it usually accompanies a video of the scene, so he's narrating the scene and using "that" and "those" etc.

I won't get deep into the other shows but for ABC, Special Reports, Word News Now, America This Morning and Good Morning America all need new graphics if you ask me.

We're nearly certain to see new election graphics and I'm excited for that. Frankly they can just use the now old WNT graphics for election night ;), kidding of course. But I do look forward to what ABC has in store.

I would also add This Week to that list, I'm not a big fan of their graphics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, I'm rather surprised how little we see Diane Sawyer these days. I figured we'd be seeing semi-frequent specials but she's only been on a handful of times since leaving WN last year. Kind of disappointing, I really like Diane's reporting.

• Like 1

I have to say, I'm rather surprised how little we see Diane Sawyer these days. I figured we'd be seeing semi-frequent specials but she's only been on a handful of times since leaving WN last year. Kind of disappointing, I really like Diane's reporting.

Maybe she's working on something big? I kind of thought we'd see her with Caitlyn Jenner, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

• 1 month later...

I KNOW we've discussed this a few times before. But what is Geroge Stephanoplus' hours? Does he live that close to ABC that he can get there spur of the moment? Why not just use David Muir if something happens after a certain time and then call Goerge in to help?