ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

Either segment intros or desk exchanges are frequently prerecorded in order to accommodate the other, to make the aesthetic transitions smooth, since the correspondent at the desk could have a shoulder butting into the anchor shot.

It's silly, either way, but it's not new.

Either segment intros or desk exchanges are frequently prerecorded in order to accommodate the other, to make the aesthetic transitions smooth, since the correspondent at the desk could have a shoulder butting into the anchor shot.

It's silly, either way, but it's not new.

It's pretty sad is what it is. They either need a bigger studio, better ergonomics or just put it up full screen... There's no shame in showing something on the screen rather than a camera pointing at a screen (that seems rather primitive really).

I'm also getting sick of xx million in the path of the storm tonight. We're getting that stupid gimmick every single night now. I remember a few years ago they reported on really extrodinary weather only. Now their weather reporting looks like the local news in Youngstown, Ohio on steroids.

It's pretty sad is what it is. They either need a bigger studio, better ergonomics or just put it up full screen... There's no shame in showing something on the screen rather than a camera pointing at a screen (that seems rather primitive really).

I'm also getting sick of xx million in the path of the storm tonight. We're getting that stupid gimmick every single night now. I remember a few years ago they reported on really extrodinary weather only. Now their weather reporting looks like the local news in Youngstown, Ohio on steroids.

Yeah you're not kidding about the weather.. They did the same thing in the winter. Even if it was for example like 8 inches they were calling it a monster storm.

• 1 month later...

Went to watch World News Tonight on WXYZ in Detroit and an "ABC-TV New York HD" test pattern ran from 630-7pm instead. Anybody else see anything like this tonight?

There have been several people asking what was up on WXYZ's Facebook page but there's no response or explanation anywhere.

I wonder how that'll go. This is his first time filling in for David. When he would fill in for Diane, ratings would go down.

I always thought that it was the other way around. I recall ratings (generally) increasing whenever Diane was off, no matter if David or George filled in.

I always thought that it was the other way around. I recall ratings (generally) increasing whenever Diane was off, no matter if David or George filled in.

I am fairly sure that when David filled in, ratings would increase over Diane, but when George would fill in, they would go down from Diane. Regardless, we will see how George did next week!

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand David being annoyed, he got an interview with THE POPE and they still didn't win the night. If you ask me though, ABC doesn't advertise WNT nearly as much as NBC does Nightly News. I rarely see WNT promos while I see tons of NN promos on a lot of different platforms. As the saying goes, "you need to invest money to make money." Maybe ABC should be investing some more into WNT and David.

I think the problem is the state of WNT and perhaps ABC News in general, it's not seen a serious show anymore with all the fluff and pop it has going on right now. Lester Holt just seems to have more gravitas since he is older than David, so I can understand why people would flock to his newscast.

I don't know if I would really take that article too seriously, David seems to be a very nice guy on-air. You gotta be competitive in the tv news biz though, so there might be a little frustration from the halls of WNT.

The commercials for the 20/20 Pope special made the program seem like a fluff piece, a program that would only be of interest to those of a religious/Catholic background, I don't think the program would have appealed to a broad audience, especially if you don't ask the Pope the tough and critical questions -- like the Church's future, which would be too touchy/controversial feature in a one-hour special anyways. The special was more of a taped townhall special, which can be quite boring as I feel like those types of programs are well edited and rehearsed. The Vatican obviously went on the safe route in order to proclaim the Pope's visit to America, they are not going to have the Pope talk openly about Church reforming.

Maybe he's upset that a colleague he was rumored to be with has moved on.

I laughed so hard when I saw this. Funny that I'm seeing the rumored Gio-David thing here lol!

There was an off-air video on YouTube, which has since been removed for copyright reasons, where he was getting rather testy with someone behind the scenes.

• Like 1

I laughed so hard when I saw this. Funny that I'm seeing the rumored Gio-David thing here lol!

There was an off-air video on YouTube, which has since been removed for copyright reasons, where he was getting rather testy with someone behind the scenes.

I shouldn't have brought it up but at the same time I was trying to make a joke while being as vague as possible. I appologize for spreading that rumor. I had no right to spread it and discuss an anchors personal life.

I heard about it from a comments on TVNewser.

• Like 2

You can tell David and ABC are really trying to get viewers, David was in Hungary last week and he's in L.A. tonight.

Lester and NBC are fighting back by having Lester in Hungary tonight. But I find it interesting, ABC started this and NBC is reacting, not the other way around. Let the ratings war continue!