ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

They need a new logo and graphics. The red white and blue is definitely more for a political show than an evening news show. I'm probably looking to far into it but when they say "He was there" do you think its kind of a hit a NBC? Saying our anchor didn't lie? We have proof he was there? I know its a stretch, but it could be.

I said it before, I'll say it again. When David became Diane's primary sub and assumed both weekend shows, it was glaringly obvious that he was being groomed for a bigger role, be it GMA or WNT. To prevent any speculation and avoid having too many top-tier anchors, they went back to 2 weekend anchors, who (especially in Cecilia's case) were merely general assignment correspondents prior to this role. Also because of that, you sure as heck won't see them fill in on the weeknight broadcast on a normal night. Thanksgiving or Independence Day? Maybe.

As I see it, I'm guessing Robach, Vargas and maybe Harris will be the main subs for David. Also, whether or not David's available during MAJOR breaking news, keep in mind that George supersedes everybody (though it likely wouldn't be a formal WNT, just the time slot).

• 2 weeks later...

how does abc handle wnt when there is a sporting event that is running over

From what I recall, they do an abbreviated broadcast if time permits (even if they only have the time to do a story or two). If not, they scrub for east/central and go straight to local news. (I believe they still would offer a west coast World News in that instance.)

It's just coming out now on Twitter, so I haven't yet seen any articles, but many sources confirm that 'World News Tonight' won the total ratings battle last week; first time in 5.5 years (during Gibson's home stretch).

It's just coming out now on Twitter, so I haven't yet seen any articles, but many sources confirm that 'World News Tonight' won the total ratings battle last week; first time in 5.5 years (during Gibson's home stretch).

A well deserved win for ABC. Let the ratings war truly commence!

http://deadline.com/2015/04/abc-world-news-beats-nbc-nightly-news-ratings-record-ends-1201405351/

Keep in mind, 'Nightly' is no longer adding on the overnight rebroadcast ratings. That aside, both shows were way down, likely due spring break and the religious holidays.

Which they shouldn't include anyway. But nonetheless, even if they did add the overnight broadcasts, ABC would have still come out on top: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/abc-world-news-tonight-is-no-1-for-first-time-in-7-years/259965

Dan Harris anchored the special report announcing the verdict in the Boston Marathon bombing trial. Where were George and David?

Kate Snow anchored for NBC. Maybe they just didn't find it important enough for their A game to be there?

Was the verdict really a surprise to anyone? George was probably gone for the day already, and David hadn't arrived yet? It wasn't a "developing" story that would require updates, so maybe Dan was the first person who was available?

Who anchored the mothership tonight?

David.

Was the verdict really a surprise to anyone? George was probably gone for the day already, and David hadn't arrived yet? It wasn't a "developing" story that would require updates, so maybe Dan was the first person who was available?

I believe WNT has it's big editorial meeting around 2pm (when the special report aired) so David was probably busy.

• 2 weeks later...