ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

This was the case this past weekend again. I wonder if those assignments will become permanent?

They should just make them the Sat/Sun anchors. It would make since because that was the reason Tom left WNBC because he said he had a "coveted" anchor job at ABC.

• 2 weeks later...

CBS has Jim Axelrod and Jeff Glor anchor Saturday and Sundays respectfully. However, they don't use their names in the broadcast opens on graphics.

This is basically what ABC has been doing. Cecilia doing Saturdays and Tom on Sundays without names on the broadcasts. Could ABC have made their decision with no announcement? Talent seems to be important for ABC so I find this interesting if this is what continues.

Your thoughts?

A two-night team would work for ABC, whereas I think it's a bit of an issue for CBS, but I'll get to that in a moment. Muir's weekend role had been more prominent than just about any of his predecessors, which made him a de facto #2 or #3 at the network (a position always teetering back and forth between him and George behind Diane), much like George was during the Gibson-led era with Diane. Building up David's profile made his ascension to the weekday desk less surprising; we figured he'd be promoted, but we weren't totally sure how. Declaring a sole weekend anchor could give some the impression that they're trying to build another personality into the top-tier anchor. Say what you will about the reporting core at ABC, the depth they have in anchor personnel is pretty impressive and versatile. As for CBS, they could stand to build up another anchor, even if not for the long-term. Jim Axelrod's okay, but I have thought on many occasions that Jeff Glor could easily be developed like Muir was across town.

A two-night team would work for ABC, whereas I think it's a bit of an issue for CBS, but I'll get to that in a moment. Muir's weekend role had been more prominent than just about any of his predecessors, which made him a de facto #2 or #3 at the network (a position always teetering back and forth between him and George behind Diane), much like George was during the Gibson-led era with Diane. Building up David's profile made his ascension to the weekday desk less surprising; we figured he'd be promoted, but we weren't totally sure how. Declaring a sole weekend anchor could give some the impression that they're trying to build another personality into the top-tier anchor. Say what you will about the reporting core at ABC, the depth they have in anchor personnel is pretty impressive and versatile. As for CBS, they could stand to build up another anchor, even if not for the long-term. Jim Axelrod's okay, but I have thought on many occasions that Jeff Glor could easily be developed like Muir was across town.

I completely agree. ABC is great with training talent. CBS on the other hand needs work.

Honestly new graphics are needed as well... These are very flashy... Almost tabloid like

I like the graphics but I agree, they are flashy. I'd almost like to see This Week take the WNT graphics, they are better than the This Week graphics. That's not going to happen unfortunately though...

At the end of Cecilia Vega's report tonight, David Muir said on the broadcast she'll be anchoring tomorrow evening. No surprise there but it's the first time it's been mentioned on a weekday broadcast. Sill not official but just about as close as we are going to get to official until a press release.

• 2 weeks later...

ABC News has made it official, Cecilia Vega is anchor of WNT Saturday and Tom Llamas is anchor of WNT Sunday.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cecilia-vega-tom-llamas-named-weekend-world-news-tonight-anchors/257163

I'm interested to see if they add their names to the graphics and open or not.

David's not on the 2016 team?? Why???? He's the new face of WNT! (Or, is his name just not listed? Interesting that Diane is on the team after 2012.

Via TVNewser, he is on the 2016 team.

Finally, as the 2016 presidential election begins to heat up, I’m proud to announce Cecilia and Tom will join our powerhouse political team, led by Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos. They will join Anchor Diane Sawyer, “World News Tonight” Anchor David Muir, Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz, Senior National Correspondent Jim Avila, Political Analyst Cokie Roberts, Political Director Rick Klein, Lead Analyst Matthew Dowd, along with Donna Brazile and Bill Kristol and an all-star group of ABC News contributors.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cecilia-vega-tom-llamas-named-weekend-world-news-tonight-anchors/257163

Via TVNewser, he is on the 2016 team.

Finally, as the 2016 presidential election begins to heat up, I’m proud to announce Cecilia and Tom will join our powerhouse political team, led by Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos. They will join Anchor Diane Sawyer, “World News Tonight” Anchor David Muir, Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz, Senior National Correspondent Jim Avila, Political Analyst Cokie Roberts, Political Director Rick Klein, Lead Analyst Matthew Dowd, along with Donna Brazile and Bill Kristol and an all-star group of ABC News contributors.

OK....I did not read the full article! Sorry about that!

It's official: Cecilia and Tom are the weekend anchors.

Cecilia will helm Saturday

Tom will anchor Sunday

Congrats to them both!

It was official on this thread earlier this morning, just a few posts up:

ABC News has made it official, Cecilia Vega is anchor of WNT Saturday and Tom Llamas is anchor of WNT Sunday.

I'm interested to see if they add their names to the graphics and open or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I out of line thinking that there's a logo change on the way for WNT?

I don't think you are--at least halfway.

Since the official logo isn't shown, there is a chance something is going on at the Alphabet's graphics department. But,,,

Usually in some promos for the national evening news programs. the logo is different from what's official and shown on your screen.

So it's okay to assume that, but for now, I think it's very unlikely.