ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

I'm not going to dismiss the notion that they tweaked the theme. I compared a recent open from WNDS with last night's WNT, and it sounds to me like they beefed it up a little. Whether it was a little bass boost or some more orchestration, it felt a little more substantial than before.

I'm not going to dismiss the notion that they tweaked the theme. I compared a recent open from WNDS with last night's WNT, and it sounds to me like they beefed it up a little. Whether it was a little bass boost or some more orchestration, it felt a little more substantial than before.

There was also a completely different music theme used to go to one of the commercial breaks if I remember correctly .. May have been the first commercial block?

Is David not allowed to anchor an entire broadcast from outside of the set? Why does there need to be someone in NY to do the rest of the days news. I'm just thinking, as a viewer, I wouldn't care if David did the entire broadcast on the road. In fact, I would prefer that to them going back and forth.

I agree I see no need why they need another anchor to anchor when he isn't on set. All they need is to make sure they have a back up on set in case they loose his signal. He is perfectly capable of anchoring the whole broadcast from out on site.

Is David not allowed to anchor an entire broadcast from outside of the set? Why does there need to be someone in NY to do the rest of the days news. I'm just thinking, as a viewer, I wouldn't care if David did the entire broadcast on the road. In fact, I would prefer that to them going back and forth.

It isn't a new thing. I remember it happening when Peter Jennings was anchoring somewhere other than NYC or an ABC News bureau (and IIRC NBC used to do it even for big events like the Olympics). I feel like it made more sense back in the 80s and 90s because it probably was easier to gather the rest of the news out of New York back before the internet and cell phone data plans than it was to try to do that wherever they happened to be.

The idea behind having a deputy anchor in New York while the main anchor is overseas is done because satellites are not always reliable. So, traditionally, the main anchor pretapes his/her introductions and stories, it gets fed back to New York and New York airs it with live updates on the other news of the day anchored by the deputy. This also allows those other news headlines to be as up to date as possible. If the show is completely live from outside New York, a deputy anchor is always on set in case of some technical error and can pick up the show and finish it from New York.

Fun Fact: On 'Kelly & Michael' this morning, David admitted that he and Diane had been tossing around the idea of returning to 'World News Tonight' for a few years, and this transition seemed like the best opportunity. The reason? "Everybody still calls it that."

Another cool fact from the Kelly & Michael interview: Kelly said that Disney/ABC TV Co-Chair Anne Sweeney told her at a luncheon that she believes David Muir is the Peter Jennings of this generation. A huge endorsement from ABC and it's clear in all the promotion and subtle transitional changes that they're certainly hoping and betting that he does indeed follow in Jennings' footsteps.

I gotta say, Monday's soft launch felt like Muir filling in on Sawyer's 'World News', but tonight was different. I can't put my finger on it, but the most subtle changes, likely/probably his international report elevated the broadcast above any singular episode in the last year...at least.

It isn't a new thing. I remember it happening when Peter Jennings was anchoring somewhere other than NYC or an ABC News bureau (and IIRC NBC used to do it even for big events like the Olympics). I feel like it made more sense back in the 80s and 90s because it probably was easier to gather the rest of the news out of New York back before the internet and cell phone data plans than it was to try to do that wherever they happened to be.

The idea behind having a deputy anchor in New York while the main anchor is overseas is done because satellites are not always reliable. So, traditionally, the main anchor pretapes his/her introductions and stories, it gets fed back to New York and New York airs it with live updates on the other news of the day anchored by the deputy. This also allows those other news headlines to be as up to date as possible. If the show is completely live from outside New York, a deputy anchor is always on set in case of some technical error and can pick up the show and finish it from New York.

Finally, voices of reason that prove I'm not losing it. A thousand points to each of you for making me look good. Unfortunately, as we all know, the points don't matter.

I gotta say, Monday's soft launch felt like Muir filling in on Sawyer's 'World News', but tonight was different. I can't put my finger on it, but the most subtle changes, likely/probably his international report elevated the broadcast above any singular episode in the last year...at least.

Maybe the difference had to do with Monday being the Labor Day holiday?

But to your second point how can a show make such big / aspirational changes without a turnover/change of staffs? I know they now have a new EP and anchorman but such drastic change does not come automatically with the changing of the guard.

Finally, voices of reason that prove I'm not losing it. A thousand points to each of you for making me look good. Unfortunately, as we all know, the points don't matter.

I liked the "David Muir Reporting" graphic they showed at the beginning of that segment. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of that!

Thoughts on the Instant Index? They've changed the graphics for that a little, too. Seems less tabloidy.

They didn't cut to commercials until 6:46 tonight. Wow! Although I missed the first 6 minutes or so because there was a storm and my Directv went out.

Can I just point out that NewscastStudio claimed it had an exclusive look at the new title card the DAY AFTER it was posted on this thread...

They take info and screenshots from TVNT regularly and post it as their own/"exclusive".