ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

So how long do we think it'll be until a new set and graphics? Diane Sawyer got hers on the first day of the broadcast and new music about three years later. Charles Gibson got a new set a year and a half after taking over. Elizabeth Vargas and Bob Woodruff got new graphics on day one.

For David Muir, maybe a new set isn't in order just yet but I'm hoping a new open and maybe a shift back toward the Jennings-era music down the line. For now, though, it seems that everything will remain the same as he settles in.

To this day, this remains as my favorite WNT open and set:

Well there's already links to promos of the new openings and it's the same music they've been using. So, I doubt that will change in the next 2 days.

Just a reminder guys to make sure you check your season passes because of the name change if you want the show to record.

Hell after Marianne Bannister left WBAL and Donna Hamilton took over her post at 6 and 11 PM, WBAL left the program title the same but updated the program description to "Donna Hamilton and Rod Daniels". For some unknown reason my TiVo interpreted it as a completely new show and wouldn't record. Then this year when Kai Reed left WJZ and the description was changed my TiVo didn't require any intervention.

I don't see any immediate changes to the set since they just debuted that new 12x2 video wall. Maybe they will update the desk?

Maybe one day down the line they will move their newscasts from the joint newsroom to a dedicated studio now that "The View" is moving to "Katie"' old studio now that one is available.

I doubt they'll move the The View studio - it's not part of the ABC complex. The View moving to Katie seems to be a way of ABC consolidating things.

To this day, this remains as my favorite WNT open and set:

I like that open, but I prefer the Charles Gibson-era set. Beautiful colors worked into the set, and it provided so many good camera angles other than just the anchor in front of the big screen.

So how long do we think it'll be until a new set and graphics? Diane Sawyer got hers on the first day of the broadcast and new music about three years later. Charles Gibson got a new set a year and a half after taking over. Elizabeth Vargas and Bob Woodruff got new graphics on day one.

Remember, Sawyer used the Gibson set with modifications until August of 2010. I do think a new desk might come at some point.

I doubt they'll move the The View studio - it's not part of the ABC complex. The View moving to Katie seems to be a way of ABC consolidating things.

The View is listed as part of their 77West 66th Street at ABC TV Center. I know their complex is made up of multiple buildings, so I'm guessing The View's old studio, is in a separate building from the offices of ABC News. Much like how if a corporate suite from has to go outside to get to the building that houses WABC. Maybe it's just me but if I was in charge when these buildings are purchased I'd find a way to get through without going outside - even if that involved clearing a route in the basement.

For reference NBC's 30 Rock is made up of three buildings an east building, the west building, and a studio building. All are connected and level, meaning there are no changes in elevation from east to west. The only difference you would see is is an extra set of fire doors. They built 30 Rock this way so there could be three buildings on three foundations all adjacent to each other. This was all done to cut down on noise vibrations. Thanks to the Rockefeller Groups great planning people in the center would not have to go outside to get to another building. You go down to the concourse level and there is 10 Rockefeller Plaza's access right there.

As for CBS I believe they own the block but from what I have seen the buildings are independent of one another.

The View is listed as part of their 77West 66th Street at ABC TV Center. I know their complex is made up of multiple buildings, so I'm guessing The View's old studio, is in a separate building from the offices of ABC News. Much like how if a corporate suite from has to go outside to get to the building that houses WABC. Maybe it's just me but if I was in charge when these buildings are purchased I'd find a way to get through without going outside - even if that involved clearing a route in the basement.

The View's soon to be old studio is on 66th Street and West End Avenue, a couple of blocks away from the main buildings near 77 West 66th. WNT, along with every other ABC News program besides GMA is actually in 47 West, which is connected to all the other buildings by hallways .

The View is moving to Katie's old studio, TV-1, which used to be used for Millionaire and (years ago) for specials like election coverage. This studio is part of the actual complex and is accessible from the other buildings. This is ABC consolidating things.

WABC is accessible by hallways connecting it to the network buildings and you no longer need to walk outside. This was done when the EWN studio moved down the block.

I don't think I've ever seen this site so excited about an anchor change.

I think it's because there's such a high expectation for change... This thread was basically a "hate on Diane Sawyer" thread before the anchor change was announced, and it really got people excited that there's going to be someone new, that everyone knows and most people love, and this is someone who seems to be committed to presenting the news in a way that hasn't been seen on any network in decades

I think it's because there's such a high expectation for change... This thread was basically a "hate on Diane Sawyer" thread before the anchor change was announced, and it really got people excited that there's going to be someone new, that everyone knows and most people love, and this is someone who seems to be committed to presenting the news in a way that hasn't been seen on any network in decades

I think people are looking at ABC News on a whole and seeing it as a "new model for network news" because my goodness do people seem to be obsessed with ABC News here. If it's not obvious, I'm not a big fan of ABC News. I'd take NBC and CBS over ABC.

If he follows through, this will be a broadcast of the ages. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5747542?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

If he's always out of the the studio Repoting and bringing WNTDM from the field, Who would be the main Anchor at the Desk? Diane again maybe?, George, someone who works close and well with David? Vargas is out since she's back at Rehab.

Short open tonight, dammit.

It looked like the same opening they've always had to me Even the WNTDM clips on here looked the normal length, not longer. I'm surprised ABC used the WNTDM Package tonight since everyone's been saying tomorrow. I figured that ABC just use the WNT Package from last Thurs. and Fri for tonight.

David will be a guest on ABC-syndicated "Live with Kelly and Michael" tomorrow morning

Good to know ! Thanks!

If he's always out of the the studio Repoting and bringing WNTDM from the field, Who would be the main Anchor at the Desk? Diane again maybe?, George, someone who works close and well with David? Vargas is out since she's back at Rehab.

It looked like the same opening they've always had to me Even the WNTDM clips on here looked the normal length, not longer. I'm surprised ABC used the WNTDM Package tonight since everyone's been saying tomorrow. I figured that ABC just use the WNT Package from last Thurs. and Fri for tonight.

Good to know ! Thanks!

I believe he wants to anchor on-location

Is David not allowed to anchor an entire broadcast from outside of the set? Why does there need to be someone in NY to do the rest of the days news. I'm just thinking, as a viewer, I wouldn't care if David did the entire broadcast on the road. In fact, I would prefer that to them going back and forth.

It would vary. If he's in the middle of a war zone, or up to his armpits in a flood, then he's not going to do the whole show. If he's in DC, or onsite after doing a big interview, then yeah, he'd likely read all the headlines himself. It's a case-by-case decision.

The old "anchoring from the scene" gimmick is something that has been picked up by CBS and NBC, but not by ABC so much lately... And I think David wants to "un-gimmick" it and turn it into a real experience for the viewer rather than just being able to claim he's reporting from the scene of an event for ratings... Like Brian Williams anchored NN from ferguson a couple weeks ago- there was no real value for the viewers... He was standing in a parking lot...

Overall, I felt that David did an extremely good job this evening. I like his style and edge, which I think are perfect for this kind of broadcast. Looking forward to the evolution of the broadcast with him at the helm.

Agreed. I saw last night's broadcast on YouTube and loved every minute. I'd like to think that up at that big assignment desk in the sky, the late, great Peter Jennings is looking down and smiling. I think David will do Peter proud.

Fun Fact: On 'Kelly & Michael' this morning, David admitted that he and Diane had been tossing around the idea of returning to 'World News Tonight' for a few years, and this transition seemed like the best opportunity. The reason? "Everybody still calls it that."

Fun Fact: On 'Kelly & Michael' this morning, David admitted that he and Diane had been tossing around the idea of returning to 'World News Tonight' for a few years, and this transition seemed like the best opportunity. The reason? "Everybody still calls it that."

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/david-muir-world-news-110490.html