ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

The promo was ok, just ok. It had way to much apology for Diane Sawyers fluff written all over it and it was too long without really getting good. If they bring the old music back and a reasonable graphics package we can talk.

It's long because that's essentially the base commercial. I just saw on of these David Muir promo's air on WABC, it was shortened to a normal length and it's a very good promo. And what does it matter if it does, or doesn't have an apology on it? You and others on this website should be happy if there will be less fluff.

First promo for David, by Diane and has cameos from the last 3 whose their names were in the title. WNT is back according to this promo

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/diane-sawyer-voices-new-david-muir-world-news-tonight-promo_b237258

Simple and powerful promo! I like how they had Peter, Charlie, and Diane in the promo too. In Brian's (almost) 10 year tenure at NN, David has the opportunity to not just surpass him in the ratings but maintain it... and I like BriWi. David's move over to WNT had to happen now. If it didn't, I'm sure NBC or other networks would have made him an offer that he simply could not refuse. I'm digging the return of World News Tonight name and I, along with many of you guys, are hoping for the return of the WNT music.

Some coincidences here:

Brian Williams took over Nightly starting December 2, 2004

On September 1984, WNT was renamed "World News Tonight with Peter Jennings".

First promo for David, by Diane and has cameos from the last 3 whose their names were in the title. WNT is back according to this promo

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/diane-sawyer-voices-new-david-muir-world-news-tonight-promo_b237258

This aired during GMA this morning. I must say the entire transition is being handled incredibly effectively vis a vis maintaining viewership. So much learned about what NOT to do from the mishaps of NBC.

It's long because that's essentially the base commercial. I just saw on of these David Muir promo's air on WABC, it was shortened to a normal length and it's a very good promo. And what does it matter if it does, or doesn't have an apology on it? You and others on this website should be happy if there will be less fluff.

I am happy about that, but I'm saying that having to do that is a bad sign about the networks true feelings of the health of the overall brand.

So, with the 'World News Tonight' transition nearing completion, I've been doing some snooping around the internet at how these types of power transfers have been handled in the past. A rumored rivalry between Saywer and Gibson was prevalent during the 2006 and 2009 occasions, and it's no secret that CBS has had some less-than-stable transitions in the last decade. The most storied, though, is that of how ABC moved on after Peter Jennings' passing. An excerpt in one of the articles I stumbled upon caught my eye. It openly addressed the possibility of divorcing the chief and evening anchor roles, 9 whole years before that concept became rule...

And one question they are expected to consider is which of the candidates could best be expected to approach Mr. Jennings's marathon performance in the aftermath of the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Beginning that day, and continuing for several days thereafter, Mr. Jennings logged more than 60 hours in the anchor chair.

By that standard, the executives could settle on a compromise, the colleague said yesterday: Mr. Gibson would remain in the morning, but serve as "the face" of ABC News on big, breaking stories. That notion was broached in an article in last week's New Yorker .

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/09/business/media/09abc.html?pagewanted=all

I'm very interested to see if the Instant Index is still there on Monday. It wouldn't surprise me either way.

Also, they changed the WN page on ABCNews.com to say WNT.

http://abcnews.go.com/wn

Just saw this a few minutes ago.

Makes a reference to "Good Evening America, a name we throw around in ABC News threads.

I saw this too and laughed. Obviously, they are joking around.

Here's a nice local promo for World News Tonight with David Muir on former station, WCVB-TV Boston.

http://www.wcvb.com/wcvb-welcomes-david-muir-to-world-news-tonight/27795038#!bMDleD

Apparently WABC is doing something similar.. Bill Ritter has a video on Instagram of himself David Muir and Liz Cho.

I'm guessing he'll be making the local rounds in due time. His young age, the promotion of him as a globetrotter, and this being an election year combine to tell me that he's going to be all over during the next few months. With George keeping the desk warm, David won't be tied down by special reports, and can do more field reporting and remote broadcasts, something that has been lost in recent years with tightened budgets and two "older" anchors preceding him.

There're gonna be promos. Promos everywhere.

I am actually not sure about David's potential in the ratings. I get the similarity - on some levels - to Peter Jennings, but I also feel he is nowhere near in the league of Peter Jennings. He always strikes me as all hair and no substance. Having said that, he seems nice and I wish him well.

I am actually not sure about David's potential in the ratings. I get the similarity - on some levels - to Peter Jennings, but I also feel he is nowhere near in the league of Peter Jennings. He always strikes me as all hair and no substance. Having said that, he seems nice and I wish him well.

Then you're in the minority. Given how close ABC is to NBC nowadays and how many times ABC has won the demo over NBC, logic is more willing to say that if anything, WNT will improve under David's tenure and finally send NBC to second place. The only way I see this not happening is if WNT somehow became even fluffier than what it is now.

I think WNT will drift slight back toward more hard and foreign news. Next week's broadcasts will feature David's reports on the refugee children of Syria forced to support their family by working rather than going to school during the day. I'm hoping that's an indication that he will shed some of the fluff that's been part of the show these last five years.

I think changes to the broadcast in terms of content are unlikely. As someone else said, Diane's World News became more tabloidy after Ben Sherwood became president. Secondly, they are having succes in the ratings for the first time in 20 years. Why change course now?