ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

Diane's exit is fascinatingly low key.

Because it's just a change in her role at ABC. She's not leaving the network, not retiring, not even semi-retiring. It's also ABC's unofficial nod to the fact that with so many media platforms now available 24/7, the evening news is no longer the top of the pyramid in broadcast news.

So with Diane leaving on Thursday and David starting on Tuesday, who do u think will anchor the 4 days in between.

Between Katie Couric and Scott Pelly, CBS had Harry Smith anchor.

I could see Dan Harris anchoring or having David anchor unofficialy until Tuesday. What do you think?

Well, the 2012 package debuted not long before the election, and the three previous packages debuted at different times...Sawyer's debut, the 2008 HD transition, and a short time before the Woodruff/Vargas experiment. I wouldn't be surprised if something came about before November, but it's only if they want to spend the money. This is the first time they've had the incoming anchor's name already plastered on the graphics.

I doubt there will be much change with David's move to the anchor chair. I think ABC just wants a small passing of the baton and not much more.

I agree, and I think that's why there hasn't been a huge promotion of Diane's final broadcast across the network. The transition seems very low-key. The network probably wants to maintain the integrity of the World News brand rather than draw attention to who is anchoring and who is not. David has been filling in so often for Diane that some people probably won't even notice for a while that David has taken over, and I'm sure that's intentional on the part of network execs. ABC doesn't want people to stop watching just because it's the end of Diane's era, which I could see being more likely if they played up the fact that she was leaving the desk. It's going to seem very seemless, I would expect. Again, ABC learning from NBC's mistakes.

Also, it would be different if Diane was leaving the network altogether. It helps that she is remaining at ABC and taking on an elite role. It also helps that she likes the person succeeding her. If she didn't, I'd imagine she would demand more attention to her departure.

I don't know how all of that will affect the graphics package if at all, but I think we will for the most part see the same program for the near future. That may change as the show becomes more David's, and as the new EP takes over.

They just aired a promo for tomorrow's show following the sign off and called it "World News Tonight". Is this a name changed or a temp title till David starts?

I was just going to post that. That and, NICE final show for Diane! No Instant Index tonight which surprises me a little.

Oh, something I been wondering....Will David close his weekend WN? Has he already or does he need to do that?

Little more about WNT....I'm surprised their not keeping Diane name on there till Tuesday. Diane has fill ins all the time for Holiday Weekends. Why is this weekend any different?

I was just going to post that. That and, NICE final show for Diane! No Instant Index tonight which surprises me a little.

Oh, something I been wondering....Will David close his weekend WN? Has he already or does he need to do that?

Little more about WNT....I'm surprised their not keeping Diane name on there till Tuesday. Diane has fill ins all the time for Holiday Weekends. Why is this weekend any different?

Well Diane isn't the anchor anymore so why keep her name in the tittle. It would personally confuse me if she signs off but they still promote the show with her name.

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow's open is gonna be. Will it say "World News with Diane Sawyer (doubtful) , "World News Tonight", "World News with David Muir" (and just have Amy say she's subbing. Or just say "World News".

Well Diane isn't the anchor anymore so why keep her name in the tittle. It would personally confuse me if she signs off but they still promote the show with her name.

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow's open is gonna be. Will it say "World News with Diane Sawyer (doubtful) , "World News Tonight", "World News with David Muir" (and just have Amy say she's subbing. Or just say "World News".

When Katie Couric signed off, the intro was just "This is the CBS Evening News."

It's looking more and more like they are going back to "World News Tonight." Their Facebook page url now says Facebook.com/WorldNewsTonight.

If you missed the broadcast, here is the full show...

If they go back to World News Tonight... will they also bring back the classic World News Tonight music? I hope so... the current music is just so blah.

The promos have the current music so I doubt it. And I love the current music package!