Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

The station also is starting a major renovation of its newsroom...

Interesting that they've barely had WKBW for a moment and are already improving the station's cosmetics while other Scripps stations that need it just as bad are seemingly being left out (I'm looking at you, WMAR).

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm...Unless he knows something super-double top secret and Scripps is wasting money just for fun, someone should let Scott know he's wrong.

From earlier in this thread: I'm not sure how the hell he got Minnesota. The only thing I can think of is either misheard or the info got transposed on it's way to him. IDK, I think it's likely it somehow went from Indianapolis to Minneapolis and somehow that ended up as Minnesota.

Another thing he also got wrong was saying that WKBW's master control operators should be nervous they might lose their job. Of course they don't have MC operators as it's outsourced to a company in Atlanta.

I can't recall major changes to KNXV's newsroom set either since the HD launch in 2007 or maybe even the 2002 station relaunch.

When did KNXV move to its current building? It looks fairly modern from the exterior, circa 2000. Might give an idea how old the set is.

When did KNXV move to its current building? It looks fairly modern from the exterior, circa 2000. Might give an idea how old the set is.

According to the Phoenix Business Journal from 1997:

Scripps Howard Broadcasting will spend $5.5 million to build a two-story office and television studio facility for KNXV-TV 15, according to information logged in The Daily Permit publication.

The price tag includes a three-level parking structure with a helipad on 7 acres at 515 N. Gateway Boulevard near the intersection of 44th and Van Buren streets in Phoenix.

The 88,140-square-foot office building and three-story parking garage will be built by The Weitz Co.

Channel 15, the ABC affiliate in Phoenix, will move from three different industrial buildings in an industrial park near 32nd Street and Broadway Road.

The station's new office will serve as the Valley's first all-digital television station, a spokeswoman said.

Seems like the building target date was December 1998, possibly early 1999. The facility actually looks like it got some exterior refinishing to make it look even newer.

But having seen KNXV at times (unfortunately the NewsActive3 collection had a video of KNXV from January 1, 2002, but it's not in any of the current series of videos), the current set treatment DEFINITELY came with the 2002 refresh. We watched a fair amount of ABC in the mid-2000s so I certainly remember when the makeover was done (I believe Television by Design did the graphics for KNXV and WMAR). In fact, when WMAR converted to that look, I remember the thread that was posted on TVNT (goes to show you how long I've been lurking) and people lamenting the loss of the slanted 2 they had been using.

Interesting that they've barely had WKBW for a moment and are already improving the station's cosmetics while other Scripps stations that need it just as bad are seemingly being left out (I'm looking at you, WMAR).

And not just changing one wall on the set either.

Well Scripps has sloowwwllyyy been upgrading their stations, so the others are probably in line for an upgrade.

Why don't we have a Scripps thread?

It looks like the station group threads will be getting split up into individual topics (why someone would take the time to split up an 83 page Sinclair thread is beyond me, the horse seems well out of the barn).

It looks like the station group threads will be getting split up into individual topics (why someone would take the time to split up an 83 page Sinclair thread is beyond me, the horse seems well out of the barn).

Well yeah but I was just saying that for as much as we talk about Scripps there isn't a dedicated Scripps thread.

Will Scripps put a flag with their logo on it on WKBW's building? KMGH has one.

Christ is that really what KMGH's building looks like? Anyway I don't know about a flag, but it wouldn't surprise me if the lighthouse ended up plastered somewhere that would be visible to the public. WPTV, WEWS, KERO and I believe WRTV all have the logo somewhere on their set that's easily visible given the camera angle. KMGH has the flag (obviously) and KSHB randomly had the Scripps logo put up over their entrance. I dunno about the rest, but Scripps seems to be making it a point that viewers know who owns the station their watching. Does anyone else do this so explicitly?

Looks pretty out of date...

The small monitors are positively ancient, though the rest is passable.

Goes to show how cheaply Granite did their HD conversion. I've never seen an HD control room where they didn't bother tearing out the racks. The ones I've seen are just three or four flat screen monitors mounted on the wall and not into the racks like you see here. Though production equipment in the control room is likely the least of Scripps concerns. On-air needs a lot more work.

Example of a typical control room (at least from what I've seen):

TCF%20Control%20Room%20Center_Profile.jpg

Surprisingly it doesn't look a ton different than WXYZ's control room, just a lot smaller, I don't know how old WKBW's current building is though.

I think it was built in 1977 if Wikipedia is correct. Can't get a date from Erie County because their property lookup system is a pain in the rear to use and I can't find WKBW's physical street address (they had it changed to 7 Broadcast Plaza for mail but the building is actually on Church Street).

• 3 weeks later...

Do not tell me they are keeping those horrible logos and the "Good Things" campaign... (there's four different variations of the logo in the above photo)

We use 5 different logos here too... 2 have the new abc logo attached (one GO circle 7 and one fat like my profile), while 2 more are the same except they use the old abc logo. We also have a version of the thinner circle 7 in black for t-shirts and other white things. Scripps has more important things than logos to worry about I guess.

Do not tell me they are keeping those horrible logos and the "Good Things" campaign... (there's four different variations of the logo in the above photo)

I would assume they aren't. For one, the atrocious main EWN logo would not work in any way with the Scripps standardization graphics.

I would assume they aren't. For one, the atrocious main EWN logo would not work in any way with the Scripps standardization graphics.

Speaking of that, it's been 2 years now for that package. Do you think Scripps will just give them the current one or release a whole new package like they did when they bought the MGH stations? Unlike some other companies, Scripps doesn't seem like one to leave their stations with the same package for 4, 5+ years.

Speaking of that, it's been 2 years now for that package. Do you think Scripps will just give them the current one or release a whole new package like they did when they bought the MGH stations? Unlike some other companies, Scripps doesn't seem like one to leave their stations with the same package for 4, 5+ years.

Probably a new package this fall coinciding with "The Now". WXYZ has had theirs overhauled to some extent however.

Probably a new package this fall coinciding with "The Now". WXYZ has had theirs overhauled to some extent however.

"The Now" debuts tomorrow on KSHB speaking of that as well. When was the premier slated for again? And how has WXYZ had theirs overhauled?

Archived