Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Monday is the consummation date for both stations according to Scripps TV head Brian Lawlor (@lawlor_scripps):

Ready to get to Monday and welcome @WKBW #buffalo and @mytv20detroit Into the Scripps portfolio. Let the fun begin. @EWScrippsCo

The Deal Is DONE!!!

Lawlor tweeted at about 6am that the deal was done. Now the Scripps website have announced it in a press release, confirming the sale's closing after 12pm today.

Here's the map of the Lighthouse's updated TV portfolio (and BTW, there is a big, noticeable error on this map).

tv-map.jpg

Let that light shine on WKBW, as it needs to find its own way to succeed.

The Deal Is DONE!!!

Lawlor tweeted at about 6am that the deal was done. Now the Scripps website have announced it in a press release, confirming the sale's closing after 12pm today.

Here's the map of the Lighthouse's updated TV portfolio (and BTW, there is a big, noticeable error on this map).

tv-map.jpg

Let that light shine on WKBW, as it needs to find its own way to succeed.

Damn, the people of Indianapolis are going to be so pissed. :lol:

They have WRTV Indy in Illinois not Indiana like it should be. They shoved the logo over to make room for WMYD and it's crappy new red logo and didn't leave the dot and line connected to it alone.

WMYD will be using the more common Scripps zoom in cityscape graphics for an open rather than the short WXYZ version. This will be nearly the same as WFTS's application. WXYZ also used cityscape frame graphics for the part of their open where the preview today's stories, it framed the video nicely. I don't know how permanent it is but WXYZ is now a little more in line with the other Scripps stations. It's graphics have been a little limited thus far with this package.

That's the governmental equivalent of "Save Our 7"

:rofl!: :rofl!: YES!!!

I think the graphics are going to change VERY quickly. Probably much faster than Gannett is with the ex-Belo stations. I'm thinking before the end of the summer, WKBW will have Scripps standard graphics.

It's absolutely no doubt there starting those cosmetic plans now, so I'm thinking it'll be around the November books before we see the Scripps graphics.

And I'm not losing hope that MCTYW would stay (although changes are very thin since all the other stations are "Iner-gized"), but they do need to use more cues. But there's nothing but positive promises and vibes for this station at this point, KB shouldn't be going anywhere but up.

How long has WMYD been "TV 20 Detroit" (no longer My20)? since the acquisition, or just now? And a little bit off topic, should we see more rebrandings of other mynetworktv affiliates? Plus, are those affiliates of Mynet TV basically 'Independent'? Basically because i can recall when HulkieD notes WPHL 17 in philly as essentially an "Independent station".

How long has WMYD been "TV 20 Detroit" (no longer My20)? since the acquisition, or just now? And a little bit off topic, should we see more rebrandings of other mynetworktv affiliates? Plus, are those affiliates of Mynet TV basically 'Independent'? Basically because i can recall when HulkieD notes WPHL 17 in philly as essentially an "Independent station".

New name and logo were effective at Midnight, MyTV 20 was discontinued at that time.

:rofl!: :rofl!: YES!!!

It's absolutely no doubt there starting those cosmetic plans now, so I'm thinking it'll be around the November books before we see the Scripps graphics.

And I'm not losing hope that MCTYW would stay (although changes are very thin since all the other stations are "Iner-gized"), but they do need to use more cues. But there's nothing but positive promises and vibes for this station at this point, KB shouldn't be going anywhere but up.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe Scripps could have Stephen Arnold commission a version of Inergy with a MCTYW signature added to it IF WKBW is forced to change music along with graphics.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe Scripps could have Stephen Arnold commission a version of Inergy with a MCTYW signature added to it IF WKBW is forced to change music along with graphics.

That would sound very weird to hear an Arnold spin on the iconic MCTYW. It would almost be like 615's first installment of Propulsion. I'm not sure if Arnold can make it almost like the original. And slapping the MCTYW logo with Inergy would be a weird combination to begin with.

What I would like for KB to do is to use a variety of cues from MCTYW since there several of cues of it, instead of using just one cue for everything. They did use other cues when they brought the theme back five years ago.

That would sound very weird to hear an Arnold spin on the iconic MCTYW. It would almost be like 615's first installment of Propulsion. I'm not sure if Arnold can make it almost like the original. And slapping the MCTYW logo with Inergy would be a weird combination to begin with.

What I would like for KB to do is to use a variety of cues from MCTYW since there several of cues of it, instead of using just one cue for everything. They did use other cues when they brought the theme back five years ago.

It'll be inergy, MCTYW is going to bite the dust, Scripps could care less about that stuff.

It'll be inergy, MCTYW is going to bite the dust, Scripps could care less about that stuff.

I wish viewers would care less because it's not the music that makes or breaks your newscast...

They probably also don't care that the copyright on WKBW's site still says "A Granite Broadcasting Station"

Anyways I'm glad Scripps has WKBW in their fold and I see changes happening pretty quick, the website probably being the first. Management and staff aren't the problem so of course I don't see anyone leaving or getting fired. In fact I'm somewhat surprised but not shocked that Scripps has kept Mike Nurse as GM. What Granite did was not invest into WKBW and that's why they're what they're at now. But I do see the morning show retweaked a little but no personnel changes. I think what they need to do is get people to watch the station and of course invest, invest invest which they'll do.

As for WMYD, shame on Scripps for not hiring any of the WMYD reporters. They have job openings so I don't know why they didn't use the two or three WMYD reporters to help fill those vacancies...

How the hell do you know they "could care less about that stuff"?

I wish viewers would care less because it's not the music that makes or breaks your newscast...

They probably also don't care that the copyright on WKBW's site still says "A Granite Broadcasting Station"

Anyways I'm glad Scripps has WKBW in their fold and I see changes happening pretty quick, the website probably being the first. Management and staff aren't the problem so of course I don't see anyone leaving or getting fired. In fact I'm somewhat surprised but not shocked that Scripps has kept Mike Nurse as GM. What Granite did was not invest into WKBW and that's why they're what they're at now. But I do see the morning show retweaked a little but no personnel changes. I think what they need to do is get people to watch the station and of course invest, invest invest which they'll do.

As for WMYD, shame on Scripps for not hiring any of the WMYD reporters. They have job openings so I don't know why they didn't use the two or three WMYD reporters to help fill those vacancies...

I wished they moved Mike Randall back to Weeknights with the main crew instead of the mornings. But other than that, they can finally get the heavy infrastructure they really need. Obviously they'll get the Scripps graphics, and in the future they could finally have a brand new set. Of course getting viewers to watch your station won't happen overnight, so I can't wait to see the improvements the Lighthouse with provide within the next few months. All they need to do is to keep that light on, and they'll find a way to succeed.

Archived