Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

It's not just the logo... the whole image of the station has been thoroughly trashed by Granite. They almost need a makeover along the lines of when MediaGeneral flipped WBMG to WIAT (where the entire news department was scrapped and rebuilt wholesale).

At this point, I wouldn't even consider MCTYW sacred. Or at least the uber-cheapness of only using one cut - ONE CUT - for all aspects of their newscasts, including promos. Inergy will be in the mix somehow, some way.

Heck, could Scripps commission a variant of Inergy with the MYCTW signature?

Scripps' graphics hub should be able to modify the WKBW "7" to make it in line with WXYZ and KMGH's logo. If they don't want to just scrap it outright and settle for the WXYZ design.

But again, I concur. This is a massive rehabilitation project that Scripps is undertaking here.

This is the biggest rehab since Nexstar's big cash infusion into Memphis, which in turn was the biggest rehab since WIAT. Would you go as far as to either cancel the news department or produce barebones news updates for 90 minutes a day (6:30, 6 and 11) to satisfy the affiliation contract?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just the logo... the whole image of the station has been thoroughly trashed by Granite. They almost need a makeover along the lines of when MediaGeneral flipped WBMG to WIAT (where the entire news department was scrapped and rebuilt wholesale).

At this point, I wouldn't even consider MCTYW sacred. Or at least the uber-cheapness of only using one cut - ONE CUT - for all aspects of their newscasts, including promos. Inergy will be in the mix somehow, some way.

Heck, could Scripps commission a variant of Inergy with the MYCTW signature?

Scripps' graphics hub should be able to modify the WKBW "7" to make it in line with WXYZ and KMGH's logo. If they don't want to just scrap it outright and settle for the WXYZ design.

But again, I concur. This is a massive rehabilitation project that Scripps is undertaking here.

The WXYZ and KMGH designs are not really in line with each other other than being blue. I suspect it will be the KMGH logo since the ABC logo is already on the left side and it matches better. WKBW will be blown up and rebuilt for sure regardless of the logo. I would not expect MCTYW to stay, not with all the money they have spent on Inergy.

Scripps has their work cut out, that's for sure. However, they're no strangers to rehabbing neglected stations. They did it with the former McGraw Hill stations and infused a lot of time, money and resources into those stations and they have made big leaps. The folks at WKBW should be happy and excited that a new beginning is just around the corner.

This is the biggest rehab since Nexstar's big cash infusion into Memphis, which in turn was the biggest rehab since WIAT. Would you go as far as to either cancel the news department or produce barebones news updates for 90 minutes a day (6:30, 6 and 11) to satisfy the affiliation contract?

I don't think canceling the entire news lineup is practical. But a barebones operation of 90 minutes per day would certainly help with the process of rebuilding for numerous technical reasons (especially because the station needs to build a master control).

(especially because the station needs to build a master control).

They can't just outsource it to another Scripps station like WXYZ or WCPO? Would be a heck of a lot cheaper and a lot easier than building an all-new plant. Not to mention they would have to hire about 15 to run MC locally versus not having to hire additional personnel by outsourcing...

Sinclair in Rochester could have a built a new master control facility in Rochester for WHAM but rather they just outsourced it to WSYX another Sinclair ABC affiliate.

That would be extreme. WKBW is not in THAT bad of a shape. WIAT and WATN never really had established, credible news departments until those blow-ups. Scripps has their work cut out for them but I honestly wouldn't expect to see much change. Probably on the cosmetic end, yes, but other than that it will just be the same-old same-old. I doubt anybody aside from management will lose their job, in fact I think they're all relieved Scripps is coming in.

Arrgh, I have access to that publication through a database my university subscribes to but that article is in the most recent edition and I don't see it in there. Otherwise I'd be sharing some more of the info.

What operations is that going to remotely control?

It will house MC for all the stations in the Scripps group.

Quote from article: "Scripps is building a multimillion-dollar master control facility at its WRTV-TV Channel 6 that will control all 19 of Scripps’ U.S. television stations."

Quote from article: "Scripps is building a multimillion-dollar master control facility at its WRTV-TV Channel 6 that will control all 19 of Scripps’ U.S. television stations."

That count has to include WKBW and WMYD. 16 full-power stations plus three Azteca America LPTVs in Denver, San Diego and Bakersfield. (The Denver one has two translators of its own in Fort Collins and Colorado Springs.)

I read that part, I'm trying to get details about what master control does since I don't know, Direct newscasts remotely, run commercial breaks remotely or? Control all 19 tv stations tells me exactly nothing.

Master Control is the source of everything you see when you tune into a local TV station. Master Control switches to Local Breaks from the Network Feed, plays Syndicated Programming, and all of that sort of thing. Even Production Control runs through there.

When I was working for LIN, our Master Control was in Springfield MA, and our Production Control Room feed was sent to them via Fiber.

That count has to include WKBW and WMYD. 16 full-power stations plus three Azteca America LPTVs in Denver, San Diego and Bakersfield. (The Denver one has two translators of its own in Fort Collins and Colorado Springs.)

I actually assumed the "19" count was all the current Scripps stations, LP & full power. 10 ABC stations, 3 NBC stations, 5 Azteca stations and 1 Independent equals 19 total stations. Although, I think it's safe to assume they will be added to the hub once they officially become a part of the Scripps family.

I read that part, I'm trying to get details about what master control does since I don't know, Direct newscasts remotely, run commercial breaks remotely or? Control all 19 tv stations tells me exactly nothing.

"Master Control" handles ingest (receiving syndicated & network programming, etc.) and handles playout. "Master Control" is the final stop before the feed is sent to the transmitter, cable head end, sat uplink, etc. In most cases where a Master Control operation is hubbed they also control "Traffic." In a nut shell "Traffic" handles the scheduling and playout logs for commercials.

The "Production Control Room" handles production of newscasts and other local shows. The feed from the "Production Control Room" is sent to "Master Control" for playout. When a newscast is scheduled in the playout logs "Master Control" will automatically switch to the "Production Control Room" feed like any other source.

Although, a "Production Control Room" could in theory be in a remote location it is pretty rare. Depending on your definition of "remote" the control rooms in large complexes like 30 Rock can be a considerable distance from the studio and therefore could be loosely considered "remote." But, If you want to take a more literal stance WFFA's Victory Park studio is controlled remotely via a Production Control Room at their main facilities. And, WOLO's newscasts are controlled remotely via WCCB's Production Control Room for example.

Hope this helps.

^EDIT: I see NateinFLA beat me to it.

Guys' date=' Scripps is building a master control hub in Indianapolis at WRTV. It will house MC for all the stations in the Scripps group.

Well, there you go. Problem solved.

That would be extreme. WKBW is not in THAT bad of a shape. WIAT and WATN never really had established, credible news departments until those blow-ups. Scripps has their work cut out for them but I honestly wouldn't expect to see much change. Probably on the cosmetic end, yes, but other than that it will just be the same-old same-old. I doubt anybody aside from management will lose their job, in fact I think they're all relieved Scripps is coming in.

Maybe the one exception would be their early-morning newscast, which has been changed over quite a bit to no ratings traction (but then again, WEWS has been guilty of that same level of turnover on "Good Morning Cleveland" throughout the years).

Interestingly enough, the more I think about it, all the cosmetic changes (bringing in the standardized graphics) and other behind-the-scenes technical changes (upgrading computer and news-gathering software, implementing the Scripps website template, flipping MC over to the group facility at WRTV) WKBW will undertake may make more of a difference than any on-screen personnel hires... although there will be some money available to hire more MMJs and whatnot that would never have been available prior.

Curiously, this acquisition will give Scripps control of two ABC affiliates commonly carried by TV providers in Ontario; WKBW tends to be carried primarily in the Toronto area, while WXYZ is (for obvious reasons) carried around Windsor and area, and in many other markets via Shaw.

I don't want to break all the Scripps talk. But I just found out that the other party that's acquiring a good chunk of the Granite stations, Quincy, they also hub their operations, but in three locations (WGEM Quincy, KTTC Rochester & WXOW La Crosse). I wouldn't be shocked if those would be used should they get the greenlight and close on the Granite statons.

I don't want to break all the Scripps talk. But I just found out that the other party that's acquiring a good chunk of the Granite stations, Quincy, they also hub their operations, but in three locations (WGEM Quincy, KTTC Rochester & WXOW La Crosse). I wouldn't be shocked if those would be used should they get the greenlight and close on the Granite statons.

And WPTA is currently a hub for Granite (aside from WKBW and I'm not sure about KOFY)...

Wouldn't it make sense then to hub all the Quincy stations at WPTA/WISE?

Probably not. Might be a bit too far east for QNI (WBNG and WVVA are the only two east of Fort Wayne). If anywhere, it should be WKOW, WREX or WEEK.

In page 2 of this topic, sanewsguy replied to my question as to why granite was so horrible to stations.

Justin2kx: "... By the way, what made Granite horrible owners, can anyone tell me, not familiar with it."

Sanewsguy: "They refused to invest in their stations."

Well look no further than what i found on a segment from a Quinnipiac-produced documentary on local news. This was about the rise and fall of the former heritage station WTVH in syracuse and the merger of 'TVH and WSTM to simulcast the same newscast with different lead inserts to stories. Sad tale that you guys know. Anyone from that market or those with more info want to oblige on this story? Also check out documentary itself. Riveting.

(ends at 25:00)

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like we have a development relating to the Quincy/Granite side.

Yesterday, Quincy posted an amendment regarding their deal, attaching a letter on each of their applications stating that the Media Bureau sent them a letter on May 13 regarding more info on their deal, whether if this deal involves a loan agreement related to the funding of this deal, and a loan guaranty at or prior to closing of this deal (they even had to post a redacted financial commitment letter attached to their amendment letter between them and their lenders. Now let's not forget, the FTC gave them a early termination within a month after announcing this transaction).

The Media Bureau also asked Quincy what their plans are relating to the current sharing agreements in Peoria. As you know WEEK have a JSA/SSA with WHOI & WAOE. It states that Quincy & Granite was informed by the licensee of WHOI that it will terminate its agreement within 270 days of the closing of the Quincy deal, and the current JSA between WEEK and WAOE by their terms on December 31.

So within 270 days, basically within 9 months. I knew Sinclair wasn't going to dance into Quincy's music until 2017. Let see how long Sinclair going to have hire there own folks to start their own in-house ops in the Heart of Illinois. Nearly all of its Barrington line would have to retrofitted with brand new equipment anyway. Might as well start with renovating WHOI's former home. And we still don't know what they'll do with WYZZ. I'll at least be happy that WHOI would have an in-house independent news operation again.

But are they're going to ask on all these deals the same things (Who's funding your transactions? What are you're going to do with these certain sharing arrangements in some cities where you have a current agreement, etc. etc.)? Quincy stated that they weren't going to have any JSAs in the two markets, but it's almost like I'm getting the impression that Wheeler doesn't want a station to have any form of sharing arrangements whatsoever, even if some of the parties would be either restructure their JSA to go at or under 15% or eliminate the JSA altoghether and keep their SSA, unless Wheeler wants to pursue in stripping that too.

I wouldn't be shocked if these similar questions come up regarding the Media General/LIN merger, which that should be docketed soon, since it would be a major transaction, similar to their other transaction when they acquired Young last year.

Archived