Granite sells stations to Scripps & Quincy.

CircleSeven

TVNewsCheck states this morning that the E.W. Scripps Company has made a deal to acquire Buffalo's ABC station WKBW 7, and Detroit's MyNetworkTV station WMYD 20 from Granite Broadcasting for $110M.

Scripps will operate WMYD under a "Time Brokerage Agreement" while the deal awaits FCC approval. When the sale closes, it will be the sister-station to Scripps largest station, WXYZ 7.

I'm not happy that Nexstar didn't get the station because it would fit its already crowded Upstate NY footprint. But one thing I wouldn't have to worry about, is that the much needed investment and infrastructure would be placed into WKBW.

The real sad news would be MCTYW would likely go bye-bye again (despite me stating my dislikement of their usage of cues this time around), since Scripps does standardize its on-air look. But they would ge a much needed graphics overall, which would be nice.

EDIT: Here's releases from WXYZ & WKBW.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news for both stations. Maybe Scripps will be able to save WKBW from the sad shape that it's currently in. This will also probably mean that WXYZ will produce WMYD's 10pm newscast which will benefit both stations.

I can't see anything wrong with this deal.

As a former Buffalo resident, it's the best thing that could have happened to both stations.

For WKBW, it's a fresh start for a heritage station that has been struggling mightily under Granite ownership. Under Scripps, they'll instantly have the cash and resources available to compete in the market.

For WMYD, WXYZ has a duopoly partner and an avenue to expand Action News (7-9am, 10pm, maybe the 7).

A win-win for both sides.

EDIT: I forgot INN produced the 10 on WMYD. The question is how long until 'XYZ gets their show up and running since they're operating 'MYD? http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73998/scripps-buying-granite-tvs-in-buffalo-detroit says "Scripps will provide four to six hours of daily programming to WMYD until the deal closes" so it seems it will be sooner rather than later.

It means the clock is probably ticking on the other Granite stations. Could that be a life preserver for WKBW though, since it allowed Gannett and LIN to run away freely? None of the other stations fit at all in Scripps' portfolio.

This was already rumored a while back as well.

As for the other clusters, my opinion:

Duluth - fits perfectly with Nexstar (and Mission). Any company would need a shell to keep status quo, so the FCC would likely need to keep cool there.

Fort Wayne - Nexstar already has assets in the market, so maybe Gray would fit better there? They have a presence in the region, notably in Lansing, as well. Nexstar might want them, but would have to shoot through hoops to get them.

Peoria - Difficult to comment, since that is a sad market. Nexstar maybe there too, but that requires new shelling.

Binghamton - That might be a prime opportunity for Bob Prather to grab a second station. Other than Nexstar, which would have a monopoly otherwise, who would want a small Northeast market? Raycom and Gray have no assets in the Northeast.

San Francisco - O&O duopoly bait. Enough said.

Binghamton - That might be a prime opportunity for Bob Prather to grab a second station. Other than Nexstar, which would have a monopoly otherwise, who would want a small Northeast market? Raycom and Gray have no assets in the Northeast.

WBNG is the gem in the market and its longtime leader. It may be a small market but the station is a powerhouse for its market size.

This is great news for both stations. WMYD will almost certainly be bolstered by the local production of a 10pm newscast (carrying the Action News name, no less), while WKBW will be infused with caring ownership that's already built successful stations in similar markets.

As a former Buffalo resident, it's the best thing that could have happened to both stations.

For WKBW, it's a fresh start for a heritage station that has been struggling mightily under Granite ownership. Under Scripps, they'll instantly have the cash and resources available to compete in the market.

For WMYD, WXYZ has a duopoly partner and an avenue to expand Action News (7-9am, 10pm, maybe the 7).

A win-win for both sides.

EDIT: I forgot INN produced the 10 on WMYD. The question is how long until 'XYZ gets their show up and running since they're operating 'MYD? http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/73998/scripps-buying-granite-tvs-in-buffalo-detroit says "Scripps will provide four to six hours of daily programming to WMYD until the deal closes" so it seems it will be sooner rather than later.

FYI - INN hasn't produced the newscast for WMYD for awhile now. It's done at WISE(/WPTA) in Ft. Wayne. So, there is no contract w/ INN to worry about. Minor logistics aside, they could easily have WXYZ take over production in pretty short order. Depends on how quick they really want to make it happen. Considering they entered into the time brokerage agreement my guess is sooner rather than later.

At least it wasn't Sinclair or Nextstar. Scripps will invest in Buffalo. And could this be end of MCTW? I seen online that wkbw updated parts of set and added ABC bug to logo.

Definitely seems like it. Then again, WKBW isn't WPVI, so it's not like it's a huge deal.

And WIVB has Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, so there's nothing to worry about there.

I seen online that wkbw updated parts of set and added ABC bug to logo.

They probably had to do the latter as a condition of their ABC affiliation. As I've mentioned before ABC now requires that stations co-brand and that new station logos get approved by the network. This is written into the affiliation contracts.

Here's the problem: NBC and CBS both have duopolies in the San Francisco market. ABC doesn't have any in their entire chain. Cox has KTVU and KICU, and no one knows if Media General is committed to such a large market out of their geographical region. I can speculate what could happen to KOFY, but that's for another board.

Regardless, Gannett and LIN are the big losers in all this. They had been able to run freely with a terribly-run station that was eaten alive. If Scripps puts significant resources into WKBW (they have numerous similar stations nearby in the Great Lakes/Midwest), they may be able to make significant inroads again.

Regardless, Gannett and LIN are the big losers in all this. They had been able to run freely with a terribly-run station that was eaten alive. If Scripps puts significant resources into WKBW (they have numerous similar stations nearby in the Great Lakes/Midwest), they may be able to make significant inroads again.

To be fair, LIN finally did put some investment when they rebuilt their studio and new graphics when they got ready for HD. And the only reason that WGRZ doesn't look so dated anymore is because of the Gannett standardization. I would love to see some competition in Buffalo once again.

I hope not. I would like to see independent stations like KOFY survive. Maybe Weigel or Ellis might be interested?

Funny you mention that because that other station which will remain nameless is moving in with KGO. So I don't see KOFY going into a duo anytime soon.

I don't think it's a given that WKBW will stop using Move Closer To Your World. Scripps does standardize its look, but they know that MCTYW is an important part of WKBW's identity. What I would like to see happen is WKBW use the remastered version WPVI uses.

I don't think it's a given that WKBW will stop using Move Closer To Your World. Scripps does standardize its look, but they know that MCTYW is an important part of WKBW'S identity. What I would like to see happen is WKBW use the remastered version WPVI uses.

Or better yet, bring it to WXYZ so they can at least do Action News properly for once.

This is great news for everyone at that station. WKBW is finally going to be owned by broadcasters for the first time in 19 years. Granite and especially Bill Ransom drove that station into the ground. And Ransom damaged the station in 2003 by attempting to "contemporize" their image. And Granite won't pay to keep their best talent. Although current GM Mike Nurse says there won't be many changes, no doubt there will be. I won't speculate on them like most of you are because Scripps has not taken over yet. But I can't really think of anything negative coming out of this, only positive.

With Scripps buying WKBW, will they change their longtime Circle 7 with the current logo that ABC O&Os and non-ABC O&Os are using?

Not necessarily, seeing as everyone's Circle 7 is a little different. I doubt that their straight-lined version is anything that can't be used.

Archived