WOAI-TV To Get a New Set

trey

Surprisingly - WOAI-TV, San Antonio's Clear Channel owned NBC affiliate will be getting a new set.......

I've been told the new set will premier on Monday - December 18th.

Here are some screen caps of their temporary set...which is not all that bad actually ;)

1.JPG

3.JPG

Old set...

16.jpg

I've got caps of KABB-TV's new set coming up tomorrow. I've been meaning to post them for a while now..the new set premiered last month..haha.

I've got caps of KABB-TV's new set coming up tomorrow. I've been meaning to post them for a while now..the new set premiered last month..haha.

Oh no, don't tell me they got rid of that little table from the morning show! ;)

Looking forward to seeing both, though I can pretty much guess what KABB's gotten. Even WGME here picked up a smallish and stripped-down version of the standard Sinclair set earlier this year. It seems to be used for health/lifestyle reports primarily though...

WOAI's temp desk at least is pretty nice. I've seen some places opt for some similar looking desks from Staples/Office Depot, etc... Kinda reminds me of that, but maybe this desk is a component of the new set? Just a thought.

I don't think that WOAI's set now looks that bad. How long have they had it?

I think it came out in the late 90's, '97 or '98 maybe? The original version had the stacked 3D skyline in several layers w/ neon lights and everything... I think that was gone by the time they'd made the switch to WOAI.

The glass desk was used often for their 10:00 newscast and for their weekly sports show. They simply put the glass desk in front of the old set and dimmed the lights. It wouldn't surprise me if they used the desk in some way with their new set....

All im hoping for is for some new graphics with the new set. ANYTHING would be an improvement.

But WOAI Just received new graphics, I doubt they'll relaunch the graphics but I am happy that there getting a new set...its about time IMO...Two out of the Four [english] stations have changed in San Antonio...and I thought I read somewhere that KSAT was getting a new set too sometime, but I could be wrong :/.

Yepp - WOAI did get a nice, new set today. No new graphics though. :(

I like the set. Its a bit plain, but its nice and simple. Big improvement over their previous set.

As for KSAT - yes a new set is in the works. Soon.

NEW SET

1.JPG 2.JPG

3.JPG 4.JPG

5.JPG 6.JPG

7.JPG 8.JPG

9.JPG

I had my video recorder set to record the 5:00 show, but it didn't record it for some reason. Hopefully they will show off the set more at 10:00 or in the morning. Nothing really was said about the set on-air...hmm.

Guest wfaa8fan

Well, by the looks, it seems WOAI is really toning down its news operation. They dumped the "bright" Hothaus graphics and got this set with more "easy-going" colors. I like the new set, the desk is nice.

I'm a producer there. They haven't told us how soon....just that it is in the works. The current set is a giant pain in the ass....so anything will be an improvement.

Isn't the current set just keyed on a giant chroma wall? If not, I'm really jealous! :( ;D

Otherwise, a nice set improvement to WOAI.

A couple more...

11.JPG 12.JPG

13.JPG 14.JPG

And yes, KSAT's set is keyed on a giant chromakey wall. The anchor desk is real, as is the secondary stand up set and the interview set. The weather "set" and both sports "sets" are also fake. The set isn't as versatile as it was supposed to be. It requires a lot of different elements to make it work as it should. Like they say, if something can go wrong, it usually does.

10-6.jpg gmsa2.jpg

yea...I remember watching a video on youtube when KSAT was struck with lightning on air I think it was 1999 or 1998...but I don't think it was chroma keyed then, was it?

Yep. this is definetely an actual set behind them. The set was nice, but a little out of touch: (BTW here's the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7-X1SgjItc

yea...I remember watching a video on youtube when KSAT was struck with lightning on air I think it was 1999 or 1998...but I don't think it was chroma keyed then, was it?

Interesting video. I remember back as a kid, probably 1990 or 1991, WFIE-14-Evansville was struck by lightening right in the middle of the weather report on the 6:00 Saturday news. I think it was their doppler dome, located in the parking lot at the top of Mt. Auburn Road, that was struck. They were off the air for about an hour, I think.

hmm interesting...KSAT only took a couple of minutes and they were back on air...I believe KSAT's Audio Board was struck (but KSAT Lights went out as well... they went off air...back on air and the TV Monitors in the back were off, then back off air...then back on air and the Monitors were on) I believed they used temp wireless mics.

Archived