New nbcnews.com

BehindNYNews

Not good. There is no place of focus. The headlines are not central in this design.... the pictures are, but unless they are really good pics, they will not attract eyes. I'm looking at the site now and many of the pictures are average. It's not easy to browse through. When I look at the site, it looks like maybe 3 or 4 stories are there and that's it.

One good thing was some of the design styles that were full width near the bottom of the page. Thing is, I don't think people scroll that much.

I'm not going to all-caps a few words and use a bunch of exclamation points to show how I feel like everyone else, but:

I can agree with a lot of people about the pictures being too big. Also the color of the layout is a little dull.

I do like the mobile version though. The pics fit the screen, and actually looks better than the desktop version.

I do hope the person who developed the website (and not NBC as everyone foolishly says) changes it or at least fixes the problems.

...excuse me a minute.

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

I can and will probably write up a huge review of the site and how it fundamentally fails in all aspects of coherent web design, but Facepalm Jim will do for now.

It looks like an iPad app.

Because it practically is. I updated it last night and it looks literally THE exact same. Everything on it is too huge and I don't like the fact that everything is clickable. Meaning, no matter where I have my mouse, if I accidentally click, it's taking me to that page.

I feel as if this won't last long.

What the hell were they smoking when they came up with this?? It might be fine as a mobile site, but in any standard browser it looks like crap. There is just no form of organization whatsoever!

Edit: I made a post about it on Reddit's /r/CrappyDesign. People there seem to agree that NBCNews.com is pretty horrible. http://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/1x4eir/nbc_news_redesigned_their_website_itsawful/

Everyone who keeps saying "it looks like an iPad app" should understand that this is what sites are expected to look like these days. Larger visuals, larger and more readable text in articles. Stuff that fat fingers can easily manipulate. The Windows 8 criticism I get a bit more, because there is a resemblance, and the Windows 8 name has become more toxic than Vista. I think the "metro UI", which I call Tiles™, is a great interface for touch-oriented or controller-oriented devices, and Windows 8 has some great desktop enhancements that made me make the leap. The problem is that, while Windows 8 is a great update (once you get a Start Menu on it), Tiles™ is downright awful with a mouse and a keyboard. And yet Microsoft welded the two together so you have to go into Tiles™ whenever you want to do anything, be it a Tiles™ app or an actual Windows program. This can be solved with a third-party app but I shouldn't have to go through that in the first place.

Back to the NBC site.

What the hell were they smoking when they came up with this?? It might be fine as a mobile site, but in any standard browser it looks like crap. There is just no form of organization whatsoever!

Edit: I made a post about it on Reddit's /r/CrappyDesign. People there seem to agree that NBCNews.com is pretty horrible. http://www.reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/1x4eir/nbc_news_redesigned_their_website_itsawful/

It looks like shit on a tablet device as well. On both an iPad and a Nexus 7. The iPhone is the only thing where it looks somewhat not like crap.

I wrote 6000 words about this that I'm probably going to post somewhere, but the short version is: this is the worst modern website I've ever seen.

Basically, look at any other news site, but the one example I'd cite is the responsive version of the BBC News site, now under beta. Now, the key thing about responsive sites is that, when you resize the browser, the layout changes. When you do that on the beeb's site, the sidebar disappears and the menu eventually does as well, but the top story remains the top story and is easily identifiable as such.

NBCNews.com... First off, they hide the menu by default. If you have to make a user perform an extra step to access the main menu, a fundamental site feature, that's your first sign something is wrong. Second... what's the top story? Is it the deep freeze? The Royals? Guys holding up iPhones? What do I do, where do I go? The layout only leads to confusion.

The story pages are better - just. If you're viewing portrait-style on a Nexus 7 or an iPhone they're acceptable. If you're viewing it on anything else, the content only takes up half the page with sporadic advertisements taking up the right side. By the end of the article, half the screen is wasted space.

Oh, wait, my bad. Once you hit the end of an article, you're not done the page! No, the other stories in the "storyline" load whenever you're done reading. It will scroll forever and ever and ever. Infinite Scroll has its uses, namely Twitter... but the rest of the time it's something that belongs in the trash compactor that holds Flash, IE6, and the blink tag.

I'm certain the design was at least partially handled internally. NBC, Disney, and CBS have large interactive divisions. NBC did the current O&O site designs in-house, and those are pretty good I think. I don't know what led to this... THING, though....

Everyone who keeps saying "it looks like an iPad app" should understand that this is what sites are expected to look like these days

By whom? That's just not true. There is a difference between a news website integrated with multimedia and a website that is 80% images and 20% text.

• 4 months later...

I honestly never even realized the NBC News webpage was THAT bad. It's probably because I don't like NBC News, for political reasons of which I will not discuss (since I know that is crossing the line). But anyways, the current page is really horrible, what headline is supposed to catch my attention? What the heck is the top story? It looks like a bunch of words and pictures scattered all over a webpage. Well, I'm glad that they're finally getting a new design. The new design actually looks great. Not as nice as CBS News or ABC News. but a huge step above what they have now.

Much better than the current NBC News website design!

Of course, I never understood the trend at NBC (and NPR, Huffington Post, TIME, etc.) to Display All of Their Titles Like This, As If They're Trying To Emphasize Something. It reminds me of a YouTube user who has ruffled quite a few feathers here over Stuff Like This.

(All of the grammatical errors are intentional.)

Much better than the current NBC News website design!

Of course, I never understood the trend at NBC (and NPR, Huffington Post, TIME, etc.) to Display All of Their Titles Like This, As If They're Trying To Emphasize Something. It reminds me of a YouTube user who has ruffled quite a few feathers here over Stuff Like This.

(All of the grammatical errors are intentional.)

Yes. This annoys me too. Some people I follow on Twitter also do this. And they don't seem to find it frustrating on the fingers.

• 1 month later...

Yes. This annoys me too. Some people I follow on Twitter also do this. And they don't seem to find it frustrating on the fingers.

To capitalize all words over four letters in a headline/title is proper grammar/formatting... except for articles like "the"

EDIT: So does the New York Times and some other newspapers...

Archived