KNBC debuts new facilities

stormytx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that the network news studio was used this past friday for NOW with Alex Wagner on MSNBC. It is definitely similar to their Clickspring Sets in NY and Washington DC. They must have designed it like that in mind since Lawrence O'Donnell frequently hosts his program from LA.

Click the photo for two more pictures.

NBC-NEWS-UNIVERSAL-CITY-BUREAU-3-150x150.jpg

I saw that the network news studio was used this past friday for NOW with Alex Wagner on MSNBC. It is definitely similar to their Clickspring Sets in NY and Washington DC. They must have designed it like that in mind since Lawrence O'Donnell frequently hosts his program from LA.

Click the photo for two more pictures.

NBC-NEWS-UNIVERSAL-CITY-BUREAU-3-150x150.jpg

The studio looks pretty nice and on par with the NY and DC studios. I'm reminded that their slogan is "Lean Forward". How meaningless and weak. I remember when it debuted and Fox News jumped all over them and said "We don't just lean forward, we move forward".

l

So I guess this is it....

I just realized that the image didn't post. Here is a different view of the network newsroom complete with monitor wall.

BkthmCeIgAAGeaD.jpg

Did they realize they were using the old logo and graphics for the background video walls?

l

Did they realize they were using the old logo and graphics for the background video walls?

l

Wow I didn't catch that. NewscastStudio will be doing a write up tomorrow.

I never understood why the networks spent so much time designing a desk and putting a TV in it when the desk will rarely ever, if ever, be seen on-air.

Just like at NBC News W. Capital Hill studios where they built a new set complete in time for the 2012 inauguration and the only time it's shown in full is during the State of the Union addresses because Brian Williams normally anchors Nightly News from the Meet the Press studio when he's in DC. The old Burbank news desk (as does the Washington DC newsroom flash cam) had a front to it but was never shown, probably because it looked out of date (if I remember correctly it was made out of steel with pegboard holes but with the peacock logo cut out of it.)

The MSNBC studio, that I posted above, could easily be used to fill the purposes of both NBC and MSNBC as Lawrence O'Donnell does his show from LA about one week every month and the odds that Brian Williams will be there at the same time are slim to none.

As for the NewscastStudio write up I mentioned they did and posted it but they didn't have anything to add other than it being a Clickspring set and used my pictures.

Just like at NBC News W. Capital Hill studios where they built a new set complete in time for the 2012 inauguration and the only time it's shown in full is during the State of the Union addresses because Brian Williams normally anchors Nightly News from the Meet the Press studio when he's in DC. The old Burbank news desk (as does the Washington DC newsroom flash cam) had a front to it but was never shown, probably because it looked out of date (if I remember correctly it was made out of steel with pegboard holes but with the peacock logo cut out of it.)

The MSNBC studio, that I posted above, could easily be used to fill the purposes of both NBC and MSNBC as Lawrence O'Donnell does his show from LA about one week every month and the odds that Brian Williams will be there at the same time are slim to none.

As for the NewscastStudio write up I mentioned they did and posted it but they didn't have anything to add other than it being a Clickspring set and used my pictures.

That desk there for LA though is huge, so I'm wondering if they're planning on having some type of panel or a team of journalists there at some point, which would then mean that they'd have to show the desk. But still. It'll never be seen and almost looks like an afterthought.

That desk there for LA though is huge, so I'm wondering if they're planning on having some type of panel or a team of journalists there at some point, which would then mean that they'd have to show the desk. But still. It'll never be seen and almost looks like an afterthought.

Maybe they will - I did notice that it they hired some more people for them to expand their west coast news operations.

But in reality with Jay Leno gone there is really no reason the big talent and the shows to go on the road to LA. The Today Show only broadcasts from LA after the Emmys and when they broadcast the Golden Globes and half the time they are either live from a hotel lounge or the Access Hollywood set.

BTW here is a pic of the NBC News Washington Newsroom flash cam set:

8482831002_833409e1b0_o.jpg

The LA one was similar.

Thinking back to my tour of 30 Rock a few years ago, they basically said that they could run the full network out of LA if need be. Most likely, if the network doesn't intend on doing more out of LA, that would be the reason for such a build-out.

The buildup involved a few things :

A ) NBC Studios Burbank was sold plans were made for all shows to relocate to Universal City (which started when NBC Built Conan's Tonight Show Studio which is now occupied by Chelsea Lately.)

B ) After Leno got his show back NBC realized that they won't build out a new set for Leno in Universal and they will keep him there. So the NBC News Bureau in Burbank stays along with their two stations KNBC and KVEA.

C ) KNBC and KVEA were supposed to take over Conans old Studio but in 2012 it was taken over by Chelsea Lately,.

During Jays second tenure they probably wanted to keep everything close by. But now that they know for sure that are going to be done with Burbank save for Access Hollywood. NBC decided to build a building for KNBC/KVEA and one for NBC News, Msnbc, cnbc.

The new studio is for the best and as someone mentioned earlier about LA broadcasting the sigma and it true. If I recall correctly the network origination points are collocated are: NYC with a NBCU Network Master Control in Englewood Cliffs at CNBC, WRC-TV in Washington DC, WTVJ and WSCV, in Dallas at KXAS, KNBC and if all else fails they have a backup running hot at Encompass Digital Media. So they have a lot of options.

They might as well move Access Hollywood (since Channel 4 produces it) to Universal City too while they're at it.

That would only leave Days Of Our Lives the only NBC show left at the old Burbank facility. And they would need that space.

They might as well move Access Hollywood (since Channel 4 produces it) to Universal City too while they're at it.

That would only leave Days Of Our Lives the only NBC show left at the old Burbank facility. And they would need that space.

I'm actually not sure if Access Hollywood and AH Live would move soon because their sets was updated this year (and it wasn't a cheap update.) I believe the new studio building only has two studios one each for KNBC and Telemundo unless they would go to a different building in the studio lot. Maybe I will ask someone on twitter.

The buildup involved a few things :

A ) NBC Studios Burbank was sold plans were made for all shows to relocate to Universal City (which started when NBC Built Conan's Tonight Show Studio which is now occupied by Chelsea Lately.)

B ) After Leno got his show back NBC realized that they won't build out a new set for Leno in Universal and they will keep him there. So the NBC News Bureau in Burbank stays along with their two stations KNBC and KVEA.

C ) KNBC and KVEA were supposed to take over Conans old Studio but in 2012 it was taken over by Chelsea Lately,.

During Jays second tenure they probably wanted to keep everything close by. But now that they know for sure that are going to be done with Burbank save for Access Hollywood. NBC decided to build a building for KNBC/KVEA and one for NBC News, Msnbc, cnbc.

The new studio is for the best and as someone mentioned earlier about LA broadcasting the sigma and it true. If I recall correctly the network origination points are collocated are: NYC with a NBCU Network Master Control in Englewood Cliffs at CNBC, WRC-TV in Washington DC, WTVJ and WSCV, in Dallas at KXAS, KNBC and if all else fails they have a backup running hot at Encompass Digital Media. So they have a lot of options.

Not that it really matters but, I don't believe KVEA was to move into Studio 1 (Conan's old studio.) I attempted a timeline of all the false starts and stops in the move from Burbank to Universal City in the other thread. To the best of my knowledge that would have been an NBC only facility with KVEA & Telemundo (plus, KWHY at the time) relegated to their own facility. They were all (including, Access Hollywood) originally supposed to shack up in a new development (MetroStudios @ Lankershim) across the street from Universal Studios that never panned out, though.

Would you be willing to elaborate further on the bolded at the bottom. This came up in the thread on KXAS' new building with regard to Dallas being able to originate. Anyway, I always found this suspect as I have never been able to confirm this. I was always led to believe that LA serves as NBC's primary network origination backup. I always found it "weird" a station that no longer does it's own master control would even serve as a backup origination point. How would such an operation even work? Or, maybe I'm just misunderstanding? I'd just assume that if LA couldn't take over they'd just switch to Encompass at that point. And, since the Comcast purchase I'm not sure if CMC has been equipped to be also be a redundant/backup facility. Anyway, I'm curious if you can elaborate and provide more insight.

The reason I brought up Studio 1 is because it is 12,000 square feet and could easily have been divided into three to four studios to house the KNBC, KVEA, NBC News and MSNBCs studios. To give you several frames of reference to the size of studio: WNBC in New York is a 2,500 sq ft studio, NBC Nightly News is 4,060 sq ft, MSNBC studio 3K is 4,170 sq ft and they probably could fit three insert studios and still have room left over.

As for the network origination from Dallas I was thinking of information from a prior thread, a job opening I saw posted one time on NBCUnicareers.com and a post from an employee on twitter. As for the Comcast Media Center they have in Denver one of the services they offer to broadcasters is a backup origination facility that can be ordered and set up quickly.

So, NBC is crazy-prepared in case of emergency in NYC; they've got three other control centers!

I feel like I need to clarify the network origination points and where I got the information. The main NBC origination point is at CNBC Englewood Cliffs where the network and the cable channels originate on any given day.

Per a twitter conversation I had NBCs News Gathering abilities would be run from WRC-TV in the event that 30 Rock lost power and communications.

They have the set up at Encompass Digital Media which deals with the hubbing and insertion of NBC and Telemundo O&O stations with the ability to broadcast to all network affiliates.

The reason I brought up Studio 1 is because it is 12,000 square feet and could easily have been divided into three to four studios to house the KNBC, KVEA, NBC News and MSNBCs studios. To give you several frames of reference to the size of studio: WNBC in New York is a 2,500 sq ft studio, NBC Nightly News is 4,060 sq ft, MSNBC studio 3K is 4,170 sq ft and they probably could fit three insert studios and still have room left over.

As for the network origination from Dallas I was thinking of information from a prior thread, a job opening I saw posted one time on NBCUnicareers.com and a post from an employee on twitter. As for the Comcast Media Center they have in Denver one of the services they offer to broadcasters is a backup origination facility that can be ordered and set up quickly.

I feel like I need to clarify the network origination points and where I got the information. The main NBC origination point is at CNBC Englewood Cliffs where the network and the cable channels originate on any given day.

Per a twitter conversation I had NBCs News Gathering abilities would be run from WRC-TV in the event that 30 Rock lost power and communications.

They have the set up at Encompass Digital Media which deals with the hubbing and insertion of NBC and Telemundo O&O stations with the ability to broadcast to all network affiliates.

Gotcha. I think we are on slightly different pages. You are speaking more to NBC News and their continuity plan, that makes sense. I thought you were referring to the continuity plan for the NBC network.

I have always been under the impression that continuity for the NBC network itself went NY -> LA -> Encompass. The reason I brought up the Comcast Media Center is with NBCU now being a wholly owned subsidiary it wouldn't shock me if they are (or, will be) equipped to run as an additional "backup" before handing off to Encompass. For Example, the NBC Sports Group HQ in Stamford has 10gb ASI feeds to Englewood Cliffs as well as the CMC and Encompass.

Yes there are dual 10 gig pipes between 30 Rock, Stamford, Englewood Cliffs .

As for the WTVJ and WSVC back up I believe WSVC is used only as Telemundo network backup as well (but it doesn't make sense having your main backup in the same city as your network HQ). Again, sorry I wasn't clear but I noticed on one or two posts I wrote in the middle of the night on Ambien.

Anyway back to the thread the people at Newscast Studio blog who used the few pictures I took of the LA Bureau said they'd post more information last week but haven't yet. Normally when I submit graphic or sets (I submitted the ones for all of Baltimore) they do it in a few days - they stated with NAB taking place a few weeks ago they were busy.

Archived