The New HLN

todayshowproducer

Jeff Zucker & the new HLN Executives are really messing up HLN (and CNN for that matter). So, I thought that HLN shouldn't try to compete with CNN,MSNBC,Fox or any other news station, they should have a mix of hard and soft news. So, here's what I thought of:

HLN TV Weekday Programming/Schedule

Morning Block

6:00-Morning Express w/ Robin Meade

9:00-Clark Howard

10:00- News Now (Lynn Berry)

Afternoon Block

12:00-News Now (Mike Galanos)

2:00- Upwave Block

4:00- On the Case (Vinnie Politan)

Evening Block

6:00- Prime News (Mike Brooks & Susan Hendricks)

7:00- What Would You Do?

8:00- Nancy Grace

9:00- Dr.Drew

10:00-HLN After Dark

11:00- Showbiz Tonight

HLN TV Saturday Programming/Schedule

Morning Block

6:00-Weekend Express

Afternoon Block

12:00-News Now (Christi Paul)

2:00-News Now (Victor Blackwell)

3:00-Clark Howard

4:00-News Now (Laura Barron)

Evening Block

6:00- Upwave Block

8:00- HLN Mysteries

HLN TV Sunday Programming/Schedule

Morning Block

6:00-Weekend Express

Afternoon Block

12:00-News Now (Christi Paul)

2:00-American Journey

3:00-Clark Howard

4:00-News Now (Laura Barron)

Evening Block

6:00- Upwave Block

8:00- News Now (Laura Barron)

9:00- HLN Mysteries

Thoughts on the mock?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be in the speculatron.

But if I ran HLN, it would still be called Headline News, shows like "Murder Mysteries", "Dr. Drew", "Nancy Grace", "What Would You Do?", "Showbiz Tonight" etc. would not be on the schedule at all, and the network would've stuck with the successful all news and no frills wheel that made Headline News so successful. The anchors would not be allowed to be opinionated like most of them are now. The channel would not break format to cover a trial nonstop. And local news outlets would still have time to provide cutins of local news items once an hour.

Remember Court TV? HLN's present format will be there (there's no denying that there's a market for this type programming), and TruTV would never exist (everything on there is lowbrow crap). Weekends on Court TV would be a blend of murder mysteries and those stupid caught on tape police chase shows.

Oh, and the executives would've come from news outlets, not from MTV, Spike, and Nickelodeon.

Oh well, I'm just reminiscing now.

I have since updated that rundown. But sorry, I guess I forgot about other thread where I initially posted it. Sorry everybody! I also posted it over on CNNFan.org: http://cnnfan.org/index.php?/topic/1632-the-new-hln/.

• 3 weeks later...

Network Exec vice pres Albie Hecht announced today a slate of new shows thar will air on HLN soon.

One of them includes--get this--a game show.

The deets from Deadline:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/rebranded-hln-says-first-slate-of-shows-to-debunk-myth-that-social-media-is-about-videos-of-cats-on-skateboards/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• 3 months later...
Guest NewsHound

I don't know if this is new or if it had always been like this, but while watching Morning Express with Robin Meade (the only good show on the channel IMHO) I noticed they mentioned "Headline News" in the copyright. I don't remember seeing this before, so I don't know if its new or if its just the last thing with "Headline News" on the channel.

[ATTACH]1355.IPB[/ATTACH]

2DF21FFC-43CC-4D92-A663-5FBCB6849EC9.thumb.JPG.5ca619d5f77303270b4317272c45a303.JPG

Vinnie Politan is leaving HLN and joining WXIA 11Alive in Atlanta as the morning news anchor, joining Karyn Greer and replacing Ted Hall.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/vinnie-politan-leaving-hln_b228850

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2014/06/16/exclusive-vinnie-politan-leaving-hln-for-11-alive-as-a-news-anchor/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_radiotv_sfp

EDIT: I'm inclined to say that people are seeing the proverbial writing on the wall...

There were reports last week mentioning that Time Warner buying a stake in Vice Media which among other things has a unit called Vice News. Vice News puts out some really good short documentaries/reports on current events that happen around the world. If you have not seen their stuff, it's definitely worth checking out. Anyways, supposedly there are discussions taking place that involve HLN and cash going to Vice Media, in exchange for a stake in the company. What happens to HLN is unknown, but I expect to see more long form documentaries/reports on the channel should the deal go through. As for the current newscasts, hard to say but, I think their days are numbered.

More on the TW/Vice Media deal:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peterlauria/vice-is-about-to-solve-a-big-problem-for-time-warner-hln

My mom's going to be pissed Nancy Grace and Dr. Drew may be done with soon, lol...

Me, couldn't care less. Actually it'd be interesting to see Vice's approach and how it'd translate to a television channel. The stuff I've seen online is pretty good.

Me, couldn't care less. Actually it'd be interesting to see Vice's approach and how it'd translate to a television channel. The stuff I've seen online is pretty good.

If you get HBO they have a program that airs every Friday after Real Time Bill Maher (if Bill Maher is off or a rerun that usually means Vice is a rerun)from 11:00-11:30 pm. From what I've seen it's an interesting program, I,have only watched a few episodes usually only if it piqued my interest. The programs that I watched were about Dennis Rodman's trip to North Korea which mainly focused on life in the DPRK, a segment about Chinese ghost towns where was a building boom but no one lives there, the terrorist training capital, the impact of marijuana legalization in Colorado and a segment about the Fukushima disaster,

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is new or if it had always been like this, but while watching Morning Express with Robin Meade (the only good show on the channel IMHO) I noticed they mentioned "Headline News" in the copyright. I don't remember seeing this before, so I don't know if its new or if its just the last thing with "Headline News" on the channel.

2DF21FFC-43CC-4D92-A663-5FBCB6849EC9.JPG

That's likely for legal and copyright purposes, to preserve the "Headline News" name as a TimeWarner trademark.

• 3 months later...

Somewhat relevant: Adult Swim is using a parody of the current HLN logo to end their bumps.

JNTWQLr.jpg

Kind of sad that it's gotten to the point even other properties owned by the same company are taking jabs at you.

I wonder if this may be an inside joke about the logo, possibly spurred by the supposed new one, given the timing.

Was just scrolling through my tv guide when i saw something that seemed odd. There was a different logo for HLN. I couldn't find any trace of this logo online so I'm wondering if its a mistake or false start on Verizon Fios's side. (sorry for the bad quality)

It doesn't look like a new logo. It looks like their current logo with the H and L separated as opposed to fused together. Perhaps your guide doesn't have the ability to fuse letters together.

It doesn't look like a new logo. It looks like their current logo with the H and L separated as opposed to fused together. Perhaps your guide doesn't have the ability to fuse letters together.

I don't think so. It has had the current logo on the guide a few weeks ago but it was replaced by this. Also its a different font and color so i don't think the box basically redesigned the logo.

Archived