WYIN cancels its nightly newscasts.

CircleSeven

CRM states that Merrillville, IN-based PBS outlet, WYIN has announced that it will end its nightly newscast "Lakeshore News Tonight" after Friday Night's broadcast, due to decrease funding. WYIN has been producing its nightly newscasts serving Northwest Indiana since 1989 when it started as "56 Nightly News".

The station states that they're hoping to retool its format and bring it back as a weekly broadcast. But this is just as sad that folks who relied on watching a newscast that focused on northwest Indiana. But this has been a trend in recent years, where PBS outlets have dropped its daily newscast, like WHYY recently dropped Delaware Tonight.

Somewhere Tom Higgins is not happy.

CRM states that Merrillville, IN-based PBS outlet, WYIN has announced that it will end its nightly newscast "Lakeshore News Tonight" after Friday Night's broadcast, due to decrease funding. WYIN has been producing its nightly newscasts serving Northwest Indiana since 1989 when it started as "56 Nightly News".

The station states that they're hoping to retool its format and bring it back as a weekly broadcast. But this is just as sad that folks who relied on watching a newscast that focused on northwest Indiana. But this has been a trend in recent years, where PBS outlets have dropped its daily newscast, like WHYY recently dropped Delaware Tonight.

It is sad. Unfortunately, it has happened at other news-producing PBS stations. OETA was forced to convert its Oklahoma News Report program from a five-night-a-week newscast to a weekly newsmagazine for the same reason (budget cuts) in 2011.

Interestingly, while trying to find other articles about this to serve as references for the Wikipedia article on WYIN to note the discontinuance of the nightly newscast, I stumbled upon this article. Turns out this isn't the first time WYIN dropped its newscasts, but the last time it happened, it was for different reasons. http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/wyin-making-news-again/article_35004d36-0fe5-527f-bce1-d23701065b33.html

Since I was a kid, I almost always watched Delaware Tonight, especially when anchored by Nancy Karibjanian. I loved watching it for years until 2010 when WHYY cancelled it. I was very disappointed. So I feel for everyone who watched "Lakeshore News Tonight". It must have been a great PTV newscast for Northern Indiana. Just like Delaware Tonight was for me and all of the Delaware Valley (except New Jersey.)

And the theme song was everything.

I am from the WYIN viewing area and it was not the best newscast in the Chicagoland market, but it certainly wasn't the worst..uhhhWFLDuhhh. They put on a fantastic newscast twice a day considering the small budget they worked with. Now Northwest Indiana has no television news. Unless you have cable and get WSBT, you cannot get Indiana news from the northwest corner of the state, we should just become part of Illinois since we only get their news now.

Okay. I saw (and recorded) Lakeshore News Tonight for the very last time. Now they already knew why WYIN ending the news program, because of the lack of fundings.

Now Northwest Indiana has no local news programs for their coverage area but to turn to Chicago and Northeast Illinois' local stations for news.

I am disappointed that it won't be airing anymore. All we get in Northwest Indiana is Chicago television and nothing but Chicago. We do get WSBT from South Bend on Comcast only but they do not cover anything west of LaPorte county (which is the farthest east county in NW Indiana). WYIN was the only option for true local news for Indiana.

I am disappointed that it won't be airing anymore. All we get in Northwest Indiana is Chicago television and nothing but Chicago. We do get WSBT from South Bend on Comcast only but they do not cover anything west of LaPorte county (which is the farthest east county in NW Indiana). WYIN was the only option for true local news for Indiana.

When I was in Munster, Indiana back in 2004, Comcast carries the Chicago news stations, it's nothing but only Chicagoland. Comcast also carries the South Bend news stations, WNDU and WSBT, with news that are nothing but the Michiana region. With WYIN's Lakeshore News Tonight gone, there are no stations to broadcast the news that are about the stories of Northwest Indiana from Northwest Indiana.

I guess that's the end of Lakeshore News Tonight, the only station to report the news about Northwest Indiana...

Archived