New Fox Sports graphics (for real this time!)

Viper550

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

How come the CFB ones get to look logical and the NFL ones have to look so weird?

Who knows; maybe Fox will switch NFL games to this upon the start of the regular season? It's a lot better looking, I must add. Has that early 2000's throwback feel, even more so than the previous one.

Who knows; maybe Fox will switch NFL games to this upon the start of the regular season? It's a lot better looking, I must add. Has that early 2000's throwback feel, even more so than the previous one.

I don't think the NFL on FOX will adopt the CFB box. Last week during the Chargers/49ers pre-season game, the fox box was a lot smaller than the previous week. Honestly, i'm not a fan of the CFB fox box. Wayy too big/clunky. This new graphics package while clean, has been a major letdown. At least the previous pack (before it was bastardized) had some flair and looked good.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't impressed when I saw the new Fox graphics for NASCAR, decided to wait it out to see how they look when implemented for baseball and football.

I'm very disappointed. This package, I feel, has plenty of potential to be great, but there just seems to be some subtle things that really hinder the overall look.

The graphic (see attached image) that shows a player, specific stats and his team is the best example.

- There is too much of the team color there. Differentiating the name plate with the information below by contrasting the colors would help.

- I also HATE how the box that houses the team logo is always light blue.

- The package looks horrrible for teams in yellow (i.e. Steelers) or black (White Sox). Compare against ESPN's or NBC Sports's graphics package and how it was designed to accomodate any team color.

fox-nfl-graphics.jpg.c8071f686e3279159d8334ce60ee658c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That font being used for the lower lines of the lower thirds reminds me of their 00-03 package. Is it the same font, or is it just similar?

The name of the font is Antenna, made famous by the Ford Motor Company. Fox Sports has been using it ever since they've launched FS1.

I'm surprised that the new Fox Sports graphics has not made their way to Big Ten Network yet.

I'm not. I'd expect the Big Ten Network to keep it's own visual identity. Although operated by FOX Sports, it isn't FOX branded in any form that I'm aware, and has always maintained a distinct visual identity from the FOX Sports family. I would fully expect that to continue.

(Distinct, of course, is relative; I realize that the graphics were clearly based on the FOX Sports graphics, but tweaked to visually different.)

I'm not. I'd expect the Big Ten Network to keep it's own visual identity. Although operated by FOX Sports, it isn't FOX branded in any form that I'm aware, and has always maintained a distinct visual identity from the FOX Sports family. I would fully expect that to continue.

(Distinct, of course, is relative; I realize that the graphics were clearly based on the FOX Sports graphics, but tweaked to visually different.)

BTN's graphics were/are better than the current FOX Sports graphics and dare I say the previous pack as well. It is simple, aesthetically pleasing and have aged very well.

I'm not a fan of that block font that FOX/BTN use(d). It doesn't translate well on air especially in smaller sizes. I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to the current FOX Sports look. I think it's a lot cleaner and not a strain on the eyes and most of all a huge step back on the busy-ness of the last package (I was also a fan of the package before last that was used on all properties except the NFL and I think the current look takes a lot of cues from that.).

You're not alone. I like this Fox Sports look too. Very bright and very clean with a bit of flair. The looks of its competitors (outside of SportsCenter and ESPN's other studio shows) look dated by comparison. Based on how good (IMO) the new Fox Sports and ESPN graphics are, I'm looking forward to seeing what CBS, NBC and Turner come up with for new looks over the next few years.

The hockey version of these graphics made their debut last night on Fox Sports West for the preseason game between the Kings and the Ducks:

Yuck. This package keeps getting blander and blander.

The hockey version of these graphics made their debut last night on Fox Sports West for the preseason game between the Kings and the Ducks:

This is one of those rare cases where the NFL version would be an improvement. Or at least add some team logos to it.

• 4 weeks later...
I would prefer that scorebar be used for football too. I like how they've included the team logos on it which one of my only nitpicks about this package.

They should use it for baseball as well. Don't know why Fox feels it's necessary to cram our tv screens with large scoreboxes, when they could go with a much more aesthetically pleasing and less obtrusive design like this one. They've used the line style scoreboard for all sports in the past, so they could easily adopt it for use everywhere if they wanted to.

They should use it for baseball as well. Don't know why Fox feels it's necessary to cram our tv screens with large scoreboxes, when they could go with a much more aesthetically pleasing and less obtrusive design like this one. They've used the line style scoreboard for all sports in the past, so they could easily adopt it for use everywhere if they wanted to.

Scorebars for baseball don't really work. You really need them to take up as little screen space as possible since the ball could turn up in just about any portion of the screen at any time. Also with all the junk they're putting in on screen baseball scoreboards, a bar would get either cluttered or impossible to read quickly. Case and point FOX's 2006-2008 look that used a top bar for all the sports and the baseball version was cluttered as hell and it didn't even contain stuff like pitch counts yet.

Archived