New Fox Sports graphics (for real this time!)

Viper550

I doubt baseball gets any new gfx this year. Usually new graphics appear on NFL telecasts first before they make their way over to MLB.

FOX usually debuts new packages at the beginning of seasons, and they always stick with the previous season's package during the Super Bowl. This current NFL package debuted during the preseason a couple of years ago, and any new baseball graphics are typically rolled out on FSN affiliates during spring training.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we're on the topic of sports gfx, ESPN really needs to replace the now 3 year old package on its college basketball & football coverage and the 2, almost 3, year old MLB graphics. They're terribly bland, and hopefully they don't make them black like the NBA and NFL score bugs (it just wouldn't fit the sports). As for FOX, I hope they find a mix of color and liveliness in their future package. I see a complete overhaul coming, not just an update. The NBA and CBB on FS1/FSN score bug looks okay, but the 2012- now bug for the other sports is just awful, although I think all my gripes would disappear if they just snuck in team logos to the left of the abbreviations, but my goodness, it's about as basic as 2000 can get (I was only 1 back then), and I actually prefer FOX's score bug from then (with some color) over today's abomination.

Are they going to use FOX Sports music (formerly just NFL on FOX) for golf? Seems a little bombastic for that, but last I heard, the head of FOX Sports wants to use that music for all their sports events.

They probably commission a golf version of the theme like they did with college basketball.

While we're on the topic of sports gfx, ESPN really needs to replace the now 3 year old package on its college basketball & football coverage and the 2, almost 3, year old MLB graphics. They're terribly bland, and hopefully they don't make them black like the NBA and NFL score bugs (it just wouldn't fit the sports). As for FOX, I hope they find a mix of color and liveliness in their future package. I see a complete overhaul coming, not just an update. The NBA and CBB on FS1/FSN score bug looks okay, but the 2012- now bug for the other sports is just awful, although I think all my gripes would disappear if they just snuck in team logos to the left of the abbreviations, but my goodness, it's about as basic as 2000 can get (I was only 1 back then), and I actually prefer FOX's score bug from then (with some color) over today's abomination.

SportsCenter is getting a new set this year IIRC, maybe we will see new GFX then.

• 2 weeks later...

That font being used for the lower lines of the lower thirds reminds me of their 00-03 package. Is it the same font, or is it just similar?

Also, the rectangular presentation of the car number/team logo reminds me of the 06-10 look. I wonder if it will be more square-shaped

when there's not a picture next to it.

The new look is much more cleaner than the previous one. Same greenish/blueish color scheme for the most part. The weird ovalish shapes are replaced by rectangular ones with rounded off edges. It lacks the flash of the previous package, but that's ok because it looks nice.

The college basketball pre-game is using the FS1 graphics now too; except they seem to be a bit mis-aligned, and ... no ticker?

Edit: And you'd think they'd be using the basketball game to debut it, but we're right back to the old look for college basketball.

The college basketball pre-game is using the FS1 graphics now too; except they seem to be a bit mis-aligned, and ... no ticker?

Edit: And you'd think they'd be using the basketball game to debut it, but we're right back to the old look for college basketball.

They're probably waiting for the Daytona 500 next week. That's one of the most high profile events Fox Sports carries.

They're probably waiting for the Daytona 500 next week. That's one of the most high profile events Fox Sports carries.

Though, MLB season starts up pretty soon, and I know that the MLB broadcasts didn't switch to the 2010 look until the following season (they still used the FSN graphics, but moved them to 16:9 positions), so we have precedent. Baseball will probably shift to this look when the season starts up real soon.

I LOVE the package, but as an avid NASCAR fan, I hate the HUGE box at the right of the screen instead of the bar at the top. I feel like they're trying too hard to appeal to the NASCAR fan of 1999. I want the rolling ticker/ bar at the top back for the 500 next week. I also wonder if they've dropped adding the paint scheme to the back of the stylized car number since its just the number on top of a silverfish box. Although subtle, it was a nice touch. I also think the box needs more color. Lastly, I highly doubt these were intended to debut with NASCAR coverage. I think these graphics were intended for the Super Bowl, but they did not have enough time finish them or didn't look to good so they stuck with the old ones and they then decided to debut them with the next biggest FOX Sports event: the Daytona 500.

I dislike the ticker and am glad that they've moved back to a graphic that turns pages rather than a ticker. Honestly my favorite graphic was the graphic NBC used up until 2004 where it was at the top of the screen but turned pages 3 drivers at a time instead of scrolling. Then NBC and everyone else who covered racing followed Fox's lead and went with a scrolling ticker.

I dislike the ticker and am glad that they've moved back to a graphic that turns pages rather than a ticker. Honestly my favorite graphic was the graphic NBC used up until 2004 where it was at the top of the screen but turned pages 3 drivers at a time instead of scrolling. Then NBC and everyone else who covered racing followed Fox's lead and went with a scrolling ticker.

I would like that arrangement better than what FOX used tonight. I also want the individual car numbers instead of generic ones for the box and some intervals. The design of the box has grown on me, though. I think I would like it better if it were on the left, all the way in the top corner, too, and I've noticed that the sponsor logo is what takes up the most room along with the lap count; make those smaller. We also do not need to know what race it is; that is what the pre-race is for. If they also change the number of cars listed in the "Field" section from 6 to 5 to save room, but also not have to do one last scroll with just 4 cars and 2 blank spaces. If FOX makes those changes, I will fall in love with the box.

The design they had before was probably perfection; it fit the look, it was a nice evolution of the previous design (which was based off the old NFL scoreboard), it was functional. This one is a step backwards; no intervals, awful design, awkward position, etc.

Nascar fans are not really happy about the placement of the box on the right hand side. Add to that, the fact that they had to cut the interviews short to go to UFC and the fans are pissed and letting their opinions be known on Fox Sports 1's Facebook page.

Ugh...people. Not you people, just...people.

The box needs some work, yes. However, most of these people complaining on social media are the same that are still pissed that 'Speed' is gone. Frankly, this is just another case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Attached a few screen shots from yesterday's NASCAR coverage on Fox Sports 1.

There will be NASCAR qualifying coverage on the Fox network today at 12pm CT (1pm ET), so it will be interesting to see if these new graphics are used on the Fox broadcast or if they will be just for Fox Sports 1 (I'd guess they will be used for both).

I agree with a comment earlier that the previous Fox Sports graphics were absolutely perfect. It seems strange that Fox would introduce graphics now, as opposed to the launching of Fox Sports 1, which would had coincided (close enough) with the start of the NFL season.

fox-sports-1-nascar-graphics1.jpg.18ddd5c8618c25deb1c422c7dbf01f14.jpg

fox-sports-1-nascar-graphics2.jpg.b1ba18db01da2a1e97d6432f51cffd8a.jpg

fox-sports-1-nascar-graphics3-fox-box.jpg.5fcef7d0df60fd5f5230148eb9d0f988.jpg

Archived