Reports: Dan Mannarino out at WPIX

BehindNYNews

Sources say he's leaving the desk and for now will stay as a reporter but looks like he will be leaving soon after.

http://tunedinnyc.com/2014/01/23/dan-mannarino-to-be-dropped-from-anchor-seat-will-remain-at-wpix-on-temporary-basis/

A shame if true, he was my favorite (along with Marysol and Kori) at WPIX. Hope he stays in NYC...

I don't know how long it will take them to realize, its not the anchors that are necessarily the problem, they need to fix the content. Its improved but its not up to standards yet.

Very odd move. Something must have gone down. They have invested a lot into promos surrounding him and Marysol.

I'd bet that whoever they bring (presumably external) in to fill the 4-6 also will be the eventual 11am anchor (or co-anchor.)

Personally, I could never think of Mannarino as a serious anchor. Something about him I just never cared for. That's just my opinion. However, Marsyol and Dan had excellent chemistry. I guess this could be a good move for WPIX, but probably just another bad move (It depends on those all important ratings). They seem to be switching their talent like crazy, and this doesn't give viewers a solid, permanent team that they can trust to deliver the news. Like "BehindNYNews" said, it's not the talent that's the problem, it's more the content that they have to focus on. I hope Mannarino does stay as a reporter though. I have no problem with him as a reporter, especially with entertainment segments. I could see him and Lisa getting along well, and I know they already do (they sit together every morning!). I would of gotten rid of Suki before Dan though. I guess we're all just going to have to see what happens in the days to come...

If I were Dan I wouldn't even think twice about sticking around I would leave in a heartbeat this is the second time he's been offered an anchor position and both times he's been pulled from the anchor desk ridiculous. I bet you more then likely they will put Craig Treadway back on the anchor desk for the 4 - 6 am portion of the show and then have Kori & Suki do the 6 - 9 am portion and as has been reported get 2 totally new people for the new 11 am show. Hopefully wherever Dan ends up after WPIX, they will appreciate his talent and skills and not offer him an anchor job and then pull him off the desk shortly thereafter.

Some girl named Jeannette was replacing Craig Allen this week end.

Her full name is Jeannette Calle. She filled in for Craig back in June and again during the morning of christmas. She's a pretty good forecaster in my opinion. She just has to learn how to say "Islip" and "Suffern".Lol! I definitely don't want them to get rid of Craig Allen though.

They should make major changes to the weather dept. Put Craig Allen on weeknights, Knowles on weekends, and keep Church on weekday mornings. If Church's salary is that exorbanant, put Knowles on weekday mornings and Calle on weekends.

I think that is a perfect setup, except Craig Allen probably wouldn't want to give up his job weeknights at WCBS 880. But if Mr. G were to retire soon, I would hope that Craig Allen would consider leaving WCBS to become chief meteorologist at WPIX. But considering that Craig works at two stations, he probably would make more money with his current setup than him working just for WPIX. But then again, he may make more money just working as chief meteorologist. I hope that WPIX does consider making more changes to the weather department. More of Calle, Knowles, and Allen and less of Mr.G (BTW, I don't see much of a future for Joe Cioffi, It would work best if he just serves as a fill in).

I think that is a perfect setup, except Craig Allen probably wouldn't want to give up his job weeknights at WCBS 880. But if Mr. G were to retire soon, I would hope that Craig Allen would consider leaving WCBS to become chief meteorologist at WPIX. But considering that Craig works at two stations, he probably would make more money with his current setup than him working just for WPIX. But then again, he may make more money just working as chief meteorologist. I hope that WPIX does consider making more changes to the weather department. More of Calle, Knowles, and Allen and less of Mr.G (BTW, I don't see much of a future for Joe Cioffi, It would work best if he just serves as a fill in).

I think it's a safe bet that a FT tv gig would pay more than radio.

Since this is origianally a Mannarino thread, I see WPIX is promoting him in their superbowl countdown specials. Would a station really do that if he's on his way out the door? I wonder about the accuracy of that report. While as long as we are talking about their weather team, I watched Mr.G tonight since there were no other newscasts on. Only WPIX broke away from SOTU for a regular newscast. I have to agree with many of you. It's time for him to go. Can anyone tell me what he even said or forecasted tonight. He stands there covering up the entire state of New Jersey and whatever towns were above that in New York. His hand is out and he keeps changing his graphics and doesn't even make a reference to anything that's behind him. He just droned on. The facial expressions look like he's having a stroke in between his words. He tries to sound smart but its so obvious he has no clue what he's talking about and nothing matches up with what he is saying and he he kept doing was referring to his "dear viewers" and his "dear friends at Dodge". I want to know if it's going to snow tonight and at the superbowl.

With such a strong bench of Linda Church, Lisa Mateo, Craig Allen, Joe Cioffi and Chris Knolles (*I wasn't much of a fan of Jeannette since she has an odd way of talking), they should seriously think about altering the weather team. If mr G wants to stay, then he should swap weekends with Craig Allen. Like anchorman93 said though, if Craig Allen can't do it then Chris Knolles should. It really was embarrassing to watch. Nick Gregory of WNYW has him beat in that battle of the 10 news.

If I were Dan I wouldn't even think twice about sticking around I would leave in a heartbeat this is the second time he's been offered an anchor position and both times he's been pulled from the anchor desk ridiculous. I bet you more then likely they will put Craig Treadway back on the anchor desk for the 4 - 6 am portion of the show and then have Kori & Suki do the 6 - 9 am portion and as has been reported get 2 totally new people for the new 11 am show. Hopefully wherever Dan ends up after WPIX, they will appreciate his talent and skills and not offer him an anchor job and then pull him off the desk shortly thereafter.

In a sense... I can respect Pix11 decision. Dan is not bad and quite frankly, he could be much worse (a la Shiba Rusell or Dari Alexander that are both dry, have NO personality and are awful), however, I don't think his ready yet for the anchor role. Even though he has an amazing personality, he's very charismatic and has a fantastic chemistry with Marysol, his anchoring skills are truly not up to par and maybe, this will do him some good for him to get more motivated for him to do better and work on his craft. I hope Pix11 doesn't get rid of him at all because that'll be a huge mistake, but he should be reassigned to cover more light pieces and continue to be a part of the morning team. I hope that whoever they hired to replace him has that same personality as he does but with much better anchoring skills and I hope that Craig Treadway does not get a spot anchoring again. He has no personality, he's dull to watch, he and Marysol would not have any chemistry and quite frankly, he's simply awful for that job. Then again, he's terrible as a reporter as well. He was one of the main reasons why I stopped watching Pix11 in the morning and if he gets a chance again, as much as I enjoy watching Marysol, I'd go back to watching Fox 5 or some of the other morning newscast, just as long as he doesn't bored me to death before I start my day.

In a sense... I can respect Pix11 decision. Dan is not bad and quite frankly, he could be much worse (a la Shiba Rusell or Dari Alexander that are both dry, have NO personality and are awful), however, I don't think his ready yet for the anchor role. Even though he has an amazing personality, he's very charismatic and has a fantastic chemistry with Marysol, his anchoring skills are truly not up to par and maybe, this will do him some good for him to get more motivated for him to do better and work on his craft. I hope Pix11 doesn't get rid of him at all because that'll be a huge mistake, but he should be reassigned to cover more light pieces and continue to be a part of the morning team. I hope that whoever they hired to replace him has that same personality as he does but with much better anchoring skills and I hope that Craig Treadway does not get a spot anchoring again. He has no personality, he's dull to watch, he and Marysol would not have any chemistry and quite frankly, he's simply awful for that job. Then again, he's terrible as a reporter as well. He was one of the main reasons why I stopped watching Pix11 in the morning and if he gets a chance again, as much as I enjoy watching Marysol, I'd go back to watching Fox 5 or some of the other morning newscast, just as long as he doesn't bored me to death before I start my day.

Curious to think why you think Shiba Russell is awful? I find her to be a great anchor actually.

• 1 month later...

Archived