WLNY Gets New CBS Graphics

NYNewsCoverage

Just while watching, I was shocked to see new graphics. I thought they would stay the same as the old graphics just to be different, but I guess not. I have to say, they are not bad. I guess KCAL will be getting these soon as well. The graphics are fairly similar to CBS2. They have brand new opens and an updated logo.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The music is the same Image News, same V/O cut, except the music is extended to fit the graphics. A little more yellow to them, like the last ones had. Here's the video:

Its a good music package but I don't like the pause before the anchor starts speaking because the graphics are longer than the V/O. I think they either need to extend the V/O or shorten the open graphic.

I agree that it is too long of a pause. I also just noticed it says "WLNY-TV New York" instead of "WLNY-TV Riverhead" like the old open said. This actually makes sense, because they broadcast out of new york city, show a nyc skyline behind the anchor desk, etc. Also, I guess it's the end of Arial for NY!

They're WLNY-TV New York now?

Edit: Didn't see the above post before I responded. But to respond to "new york meteorologist," the city name is supposed to be where the transmitter is located, not where the studio is.

I agree that it is too long of a pause. I also just noticed it says "WLNY-TV New York" instead of "WLNY-TV Riverhead" like the old open said. This actually makes sense, because they broadcast out of new york city, show a nyc skyline behind the anchor desk, etc. Also, I guess it's the end of Arial for NY!

Edit: Didn't see the above post before I responded. But to respond to "new york meteorologist," the city name is supposed to be where the transmitter is located, not where the studio is.

They've been WLNY-TV "New York" since CBS bought them and moved them into the CBS studios.

Their transmitter is in Middle Island. Riverhead is the station's over-the-air city of license. They have to show the callsign/COL, or the FCC will give them a mouthful.

Yeah, that's an illegal ID. New York isn't their city of license. They could get away with WLNY-TV RIVERHEAD - NEW YORK or something like that, but not just New York. And it really hurts their case that "Long Island is separate from New York", which is the argument they're using to be over the TV/radio station cap.

Can't they just run a five second legal ID saying "WLNY-TV Riverhead" right before the open? The text in the open works out nicely when it functions as the legal ID as well, but there are a few CBS/CW stations that don't have their full legal ID there, either. I don't see how this would be an issue, other than that it's more proof of WLNY continuing to distance itself as far away from Long Island as possible.

The station runs the real ID only at the top of every hour. On screen, it shows "WLNY TV 10/55 RIVERHEAD" with the WLNY logo right above it with the V/O "You're watching WNLY TV 10/55"

See that's what they suppose to do. I hope they do that before the 9pm news open.

Their transmitter is in Middle Island. Riverhead is the station's over-the-air city of license. They have to show the callsign/COL, or the FCC will give them a mouthful.

Thank you for the clarification on that...

Looks like they modified the disc to match KCAL's font. Looks weird, though.

WLNY's logo is different with the taller text in full screen graphics such as the open and "breaking news" animation but they forgot to change it for the new bug.

By the way, the bug for the first block tonight was the new one but without the website/Twitter/Facebook. They used the old bug for the second block. And now they're using the full new one.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotta be the only who noticed this in their open (5 seconds in):

cir6.png

A blue daytime sky at nine at night? I wonder if any of the other CBS O&Os who have these graphics also have that issue in their night time open.

EDIT: I've noticed this often. Not only that, but the daytime sky is from WCBS variation and occasionally the evening sky from the WCBS variation too. I see the WCBS variation sky in Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Denver, Los Angeles, Boston and it irks me! The designer have no idea what they're doing. It's irritating.

Archived